Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on a Monster 620, and I'd like to upgrade to the new generation Monster. I'm worried there won't be enough of a power bump to keep me entertained in the long run, but I'm not wanting (necessarily) to jump to the 1100. I don't want to buy new and I cannot find any reasonably priced 796s around my area. I find good deals on 696s though all the time, and for what I can sell the 620 for it wouldn't cost that much more out of pocket to upgrade.

A little background on my riding - I've been riding for 17 years and had 6 dirtbikes plus an EX500, GSXR600, GSXR750, Vulcan 1500 classic, and a 2001 Monster 750 now the Monster 620 in that order. I like canyon riding and won't likely track the bike. I just don't want to go through the hassle of selling and rebuying to be disappointed in the power. Any advice?

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
with your time in the saddle, I'm not sure why you don't go for the 1100? The two bikes you're considering are almost identical, with 2nd tier components and pretty small engines (especially for the area in which you live.) the 1100 will give you torque which you can enjoy when needed.. it's not a powerful engine, just appropriate. Don't waste your time with the 696.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Agree w above post, they are almost the same engine, have to up a couple or few hundred cc's to make difference. S2 monster, 800-1000 or the 1100 then you will feel difference for sure.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts guys - I tend to agree. I was wanting to stay in a lower cc bike mainly for the purpose of keeping costs down. My current Monster costs me less than $150 per year for full coverage insurance including collision and comprehensive and the maintenance is super low as well. I am definitely interested in the larger monster and would actually love an S2R1000 if I could find a clean example. I think I'll list my current one for sale to see what I can get out of it which will determine my budget for the next bike since I want to pay cash. Either way I'll post here with what happens. BTW here's my current ride (don't mind the awful black striping that got removed immediately).

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can always test ride a 796. It might offer just enough power upgrade as compare to 620. M1100 is always a good choice too but even used they are definitely more expensive. Power is nice but if you do a lot of Canyon run, having a lot of power isn't exactly the best, all comes down to skills. I have seen power with lower displacement bike leave most guys with superbike in the dust..but of course when it comes down to bragging rights..this is where 696/796 or even 1100 don't measure up as well ;) in which I suggest a SF848, might be the best of both world

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts
Stripping looks like electrical tape:D
You gotta pay to play...
If you have extra power you don't have to use it. If you don't have enuff power you will always want it...
Think years down the road and try to figure out where you want to be...

All Good reasons you posted for you decision, CONDITION is going to be a Major factor with trading up, if you go used...
Keep searching and pounce on the good deal that comes your way...

If you end up upgrading your new purchase with unexpected expenses well it does not work out ot be a good deal...
Sometimes trying to save a few bucks is not worth the effort for the outcome...

You seem to know what you want,,, It is not a bad thing to spoil yourself with something nice...
You deserve it!!!:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stripping looks like electrical tape:D
You gotta pay to play...
If you have extra power you don't have to use it. If you don't have enuff power you will always want it...
Think years down the road and try to figure out where you want to be...

All Good reasons you posted for you decision, CONDITION is going to be a Major factor with trading up, if you go used...
Keep searching and pounce on the good deal that comes your way...

If you end up upgrading your new purchase with unexpected expenses well it does not work out ot be a good deal...
Sometimes trying to save a few bucks is not worth the effort for the outcome...

You seem to know what you want,,, It is not a bad thing to spoil yourself with something nice...
You deserve it!!!:)
Good eye it definitely was electrical tape on the fender and fairing!! It had cheap carbon fiber tape on the tank and seat cowl and it looked terrible. I bought it from a doctor who apparently didn't realize what was cheesy although he did put on the very nice carbon pipes which look/sound great (he put stickers on those too! haha).

I agree on the condition and re-conditioning point, and I seem to find a lot of neglected Ducs which I know from experience can cost a fortune to return to great shape which negates any kind of "deal". I think the suggestion of a test ride of the more powerful models sounds the most ideal because I certainly don't want to be disappointed in the new investment. It will be a canyon carver more than anything which is why I'm kinda going back and forth knowing that extra power may not be totally necessary.

Full disclosure - I am also very light - last I checked I was roughly 128 pounds and 5'6" so there is a power/weight ratio advantage there :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A couple weeks ago there was a Monster 1100 EVO for sale here in San Diego for around $9.5k. It had less than 1,000 miles on it and some nice mods. No damage either. It looked really clean.

I'm with everyone else here. Get the bigger Monster.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Rode a friend's monster 800 today to help him get it back from a dealership. Most gutless thing I ever tried, struggled to keep 75mph on highway, no acceleration, and definitely needed some better brakes and suspension. I would definitely definitely get an 1100evo with the radial brakes and adjustable suspension.... World of enjoyment will open up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well it's a solid what 20hp between the 620 and the new 696. Just think about that for a min. I'm 225lbs and it's fun. Mine is gone stock power wise still.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd prob wait until the 796 prices drop. In the never 6 months or so you should see a decline. Also factor your riding style. Whether you ride canyons, highways, track etc.. The 696 always left me wanting more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts