Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the 1100 for long miles of straight freeway riding? Does is tend to follow road grooves, for example, and / or is it much affected by cross winds since it is a light bike?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
How is the 1100 for long miles of straight freeway riding? Does is tend to follow road grooves, for example, and / or is it much affected by cross winds since it is a light bike?
Hmmm.... depends somewhat on how
much of a premium you place on comfort.

When i scoot the freeways, i like to shake my tail. I find my 1100 S to be the
wrong scoot for this. I find the sweet spot on this bike to be between 55 and 85 mph. This makes it ideal for back road and canyon strafing but less suitable for long hauling it.

Much above 80 and the wind blast becomes annoying. I also find that that wonderful hand of god at your back feeling you get from all that
torque starts to tap out and the motor starts to get wheezy. Add to that, a distinct buzzy feeling at the grips... particularly the throttle hand, and I'm looking for another highway ride.

In terms of crosswinds, i find it surprisingly stable given it's weight.

If highway riding is a big part of your riding experience, I'd be shopping
elsewhere. If it's only an occasional thing, have at it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ride my 1100 out here in Jersey all the time and I love it! I would reccomend getting some risers and better grips though because it will get uncomfortable after about an hour or so.

Just as a side note the speed limit out here is 65mph tops and I usually pull around 75.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same questions. I have been riding with a group of guys who ride at a pretty good pace, usually 80 to 85 mph. We did a 600 mile ride yesterday, longer than I normally ride. But I have been thinking of trading the Harley for the 1100S. It can't vibrate as much as a Harley...

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I had the same questions. I have been riding with a group of guys who ride at a pretty good pace, usually 80 to 85 mph. We did a 600 mile ride yesterday, longer than I normally ride. But I have been thinking of trading the Harley for the 1100S. It can't vibrate as much as a Harley...

The Street Glide is a fine scooter. I just got rid of my Road King and miss it large.

Do a 600 mile day on an 1100 S and unless your a Yoga
instructor, you're going to be in traction.

I have both an '08 Ninja 250 R and an '08 KLR 650 and i would
choose both of them over my 1100 S for anything over a couple of hundred miles.

It's not that you can't... it's how you're going to feel at rides end.

This September i will scoot Seattle to Halifax... so far... 10.000 +
kilometers on the 250 along with two other guys scooting 1/4 liter bikes.
We're in it for the giggle.

As crazy as that sounds, I'll be more comfortable than on Mr. Monster.

The Monster 1100 is a truly fantastic sporting tool/hot rod.
Distance was never in the design brief.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only bike, a Harley softail, is up for sale right now. When it sells, I'll almost certainly be getting a new / new to me bike. The 1100 is what I'm really leaning toward, although a longer range bike would also be nice / more practical. But, choosing a new bike is usually a decision not made on practicality anyway, at least for me.

By the way, some of the other bikes I've thought of: 620 Multistrada, bmw r1200r; k1200s; r1100rs; r1100s.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've never done a 600 mile run and I don't know if I ever will.

My feeling will be though that with the right parts the 1100 can do touring, but it's not set that way from stock.

Look at it like this, do you do the majority of your riding long distances? If so the Monster 1100 is probably not for you.

If you go on the highways on a regular basis then you'd want to get some Tallboys and some grips to help with any vibration and the touring seat.

If you ride around town and highways the Monster is a great bike, it just needs help being more comfortable. It seems silly to pass it up and get something like a touring bike if that's not your primary concern.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I suggest not to commit to 1100 or 1100S until you try out the StreetFighter; power aside, the difference in riding comfort is substantial.
Getting off that bike after a 400 miles ride does not produce those “old man” noises.;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Believe me, a 600 mile day is not a normal ride...it was fun, but I was beat last night. I was still able to go for a shorter spin today. I would say that 300 miles is as far as I would usually go. Most weekends even less. I like the Streetfighter, but I assumed the Monster would be better with it's upright seating position. I figured that I would need to make some mods to whatever model I choose. By the way, I am 6'-3" and around 210 lbs. I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff 423, out of curiosity, have you checked with pro italia or s.b. ducati regarding pricing?

·
Registered
158 Posts
No, not yet...still kicking the idea around. I had an ST2 and an ST3 before I got the Harley. I really only switched to make 2-up riding easier. But now I ride solo about 95% of the time and I really miss having a Duc. How about you, have you done much shopping yet?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not yet...still kicking the idea around. I had an ST2 and an ST3 before I got the Harley. I really only switched to make 2-up riding easier. But now I ride solo about 95% of the time and I really miss having a Duc. How about you, have you done much shopping yet?
I've taken a test ride, which was great, but wasn't ready to buy at the time and so really didn't discuss numbers. I asked, but it seems like almost all dealers are vague about numbers untill you're really ready to deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts