Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine with a Harley that has probably spent more on the motor than my GT1000 cost to buy has had enough of me being faster than him and wants to pay a visit to the local drag strip when they have the street drags when anyone can race.

My question is how tough are these bikes/motors and will they take the punishment is would be subjected too in a drag race? I don't want to have my pride in one piece and end up damaging something in the process eg clutch or worse.

Any ideas or advice?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have an 07 with a wet clutch.

I have an 06 with a dry clutch.

I have ridden both on the track but now ride the 06 exclusively on the track, mainly because of the dry clutch.

Under the abuse of the track, the dry clutch works much better than the wet clutch, which has from time to time given me some trouble with slipping due to the fluid heating up on hot summer days at the track. Mind you, the wet clutch never gave me a problem on the street, but under the heavy use of the track on a >100 degree day, it was an issue.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
And, Barfer is talking about road-race tracks. Drag strips simply eat clutches - on any bike. If you want your best time, clutch abuse is a necessity.

It's just the initial start that is so terribly hard on the clutch. If you just want to have some fun, you can take it a little easy on the start, and then go full bore once the clutch is fully engaged, but it's gonna cost you a few tenths.

If you want to really get the best possible times, it's likely your clutch will never be the same. In fact, just the process of a drag beginner learning how to get his best possible start at the strip is likely to use the entire lifespan of a clutch. For the best times, figure a clutch replacement as part of the price of success.

·
Banned
210 Posts
A friend of mine with a Harley that has probably spent more on the motor than my GT1000 cost to buy has had enough of me being faster than him and wants to pay a visit to the local drag strip when they have the street drags when anyone can race.

My question is how tough are these bikes/motors and will they take the punishment is would be subjected too in a drag race? I don't want to have my pride in one piece and end up damaging something in the process eg clutch or worse.

Any ideas or advice?
Go and get a extra tube of KY jelly and rub it on your tool , your hand will be faster in the 1/4 mile than a DS1000 , he he :)

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Episode 1312 "The F Word"

Hey Retro,

Just the fact that your HD pal is upset should be fun enough. If you really want to have a laugh at him, make him watch South Park episode 1312 "The F Word". You will LYAO. You can watch on the web at Southparkstudios.com. It really puts the whole Harley badass thing in perspective. lol, so funny...:D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I do quarter miles all the time on my sport classic. Every single stop sign. :rolleyes: Don't worry about heading to the drag strip for one night. You will only get one pass most of the time. So make the best of it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I've done one night at the local 'Friday Night Drags' and it was no different on the bike than a day in the canyons. Only problems I had were I was just a couple days after a surgery, and I had a hard sport touring tire that had trouble hooking up....

Here's a vid with me (on the right) racing a friend, both of us on GT1000's. Both bikes had the termi kit. You can see my front tire lift a little through the first three gears. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcvgM299t9c

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've done one night at the local 'Friday Night Drags' and it was no different on the bike than a day in the canyons. Only problems I had were I was just a couple days after a surgery, and I had a hard sport touring tire that had trouble hooking up....

Here's a vid with me (on the right) racing a friend, both of us on GT1000's. Both bikes had the termi kit. You can see my front tire lift a little through the first three gears. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcvgM299t9c
dp,
I found your vid on youtube about six months ago when I was researching to buy the gt1000 (before discovering the forum). Knowing that some of the owners of these things were hooligans convinced me to get one. Now that I know who you are I can give you a proper "thank you". rock on.

-berm

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't want to have my pride in one piece and end up damaging something in the process eg clutch or worse.

Any ideas or advice?
I am probably talking out of my a$$ so anyone here is welcome to correct me, but I thought I read somewhere that under full throttle, it is actually less damaging to the clutch and transition to not use the clutch at all and just shift. Something about the load on the transmission makes it want to shift.....

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hey Retro,

Just the fact that your HD pal is upset should be fun enough. If you really want to have a laugh at him, make him watch South Park episode 1312 "The F Word". You will LYAO. You can watch on the web at Southparkstudios.com. It really puts the whole Harley badass thing in perspective. lol, so funny...:D
btw, BEST south park episode ever. These guys tapped into the zeitgeist with this episode. I've always thought the full on HD gear looked kinda Village People -like to me... they've managed to express that while taking homosexuality out of the equation... Genius.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
laughed my a$$ off

SOUTHPARK ROCKS
Jr and I watched it a couple of times... it is a must see TV for any (sport) biker!!! !lolololopl.hehehehehe

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Hey Retro,

HAHAHAHA! that is a very funny!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
This thread reminds me of just why I'd never buy a used motorcycle!

'Ummm, let's see now, first, I need to modify my bike beyond recognition. Then, I need to push it beyond its design limits. When I've killed it, I need to sell it and start the process all over again.

I've done $6,000 worth of mods to it. I'll add those to the original retail price.

Why isn't my bike selling???'

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
This thread reminds me of just why I'd never buy a used motorcycle!

'Ummm, let's see now, first, I need to modify my bike beyond recognition. Then, I need to push it beyond its design limits. When I've killed it, I need to sell it and start the process all over again.

I've done $6,000 worth of mods to it. I'll add those to the original retail price.

Why isn't my bike selling???'
I am NEVER selling my S1K. NE-VEEEEERRRRRR.

I'll fix that bitch till the end...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I am probably talking out of my a$$ so anyone here is welcome to correct me, but I thought I read somewhere that under full throttle, it is actually less damaging to the clutch and transition to not use the clutch at all and just shift. Something about the load on the transmission makes it want to shift.....
it is not the shifting that hurts the clutch, it is getting off the line

1 - 20 of 24 Posts