Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

how to use the emergency code at the st4s?

1156 Views 30 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Duert
Can anyone help?

I have some issues with the immobilizer on the st4s. The LED blinks twice which means I have some antenna issues (however I changed it without success). Probably I have to bring to a professional mechanic.
In the meanwhile I would like to start the Ducati by using the emergency (electronic) code, but I cannot find a description how to use it. It is not mentioned in the manual. I found one for the st3 but that didnot work.

Help?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Just Visiting Your Planet
12,257 Posts
From what I can deduce, you have a 2002 or 2003. I just looked at the User Manual for the first gen ST4S of those years and it mentions the code card, but not how to use it. What an oversight! The service manual was of no help either. Strange.

There is a possibility you could disable it if you wanted to. Information here: Magneti Marelli ECU access with IAWDiag and using TunerPro

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I doubted myself. It is from 2003 indeed.

This solution is out of my league unfortunally, I will bring it to an expert.... I still hope to find a simple way to use the codes in the meanwhile.

Again, many thanks.

· Premium Member
6,682 Posts
That generation did not have a user capable pin number you need to use software to plug into the data port and enter the card number, the bike would then start until you shut it off and need to reconnect.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That generation did not have a user capable pin number you need to use software to plug into the data port and enter the card number, the bike would then start until you shut it off and need to reconnect.
What is the use of the code card with electronic and mechanical code? I thought the electronic code can be use in emergency like the st3s. This is a combination of full opening throttle and the key light. Alsof the manual refers to that, but doesnot tell how and what. :-(

· Registered
52 Posts
There is a description here on the forum somewhere. I found it while f*cking around with my own immobilizer-issues. Flashing twice could be antenna or key. You can test resistance on the antenna, should be around 17Ohm. Of als je in de buurt van velsen woont kun je de mijne proberen als extra. Switching keys doesn’t do the trick?

Found the procedure, never tried it thoughI don’t have a code card:

procedure to disable immobilizer engine block through throttle twistgrip:

1) Turn the key to ON and fully open throttle. Keep it open. The EOBD
warning light turns off after 8 seconds.

2) Release the throttle as soon as the EOBD warning light turns off.

3) EOBD pilot light will flash. Count a number of flashes corresponding to
the first figure of the code, open full throttle and keep the position for 2
seconds, then release. In this way the input of one figure is acknowledged,
EOBD pilot light comes on and stays on for 4 seconds. Carry out the same
procedure for the following figures of the code. Failure to do so will cause the
EOBD pilot light to flash 20 times, then it will stay on. This means that the
procedure has been aborted. It will be necessary to turn the key to OFF
and restart from point (1).

4) Repeat operations described in point (3) up to the last figure of the code.

5) Release the throttle twistgrip, if the code is correct, the EOBD warning
light shall flash signalling that engine block has been disabled. The warning
light turns off after 4 seconds. If the code is NOT correct, the EOBD
warning light stays on and it is then possible to turn the key to OFF and
repeat the procedure, starting from point (1), as many times as necessary (infinite).

Note: Should the throttle twistgrip be released before the set time, the warning
light turns on again. It is then necessary to bring the key to OFF and restart
the procedure from point (1).

If this still doesn’t work you can consider removing the immobilizer altogether, but you do need to flash the ECU for that. Sounds like a big job, but stelt eigenlijk geen reet voor.

Good luck!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a description here on the forum somewhere. I found it while f*cking around with my own immobilizer-issues. Flashing twice could be antenna or key. You can test resistance on the antenna, should be around 17Ohm. Of als je in de buurt van velsen woont kun je de mijne proberen als extra. Switching keys doesn’t do the trick?

Found the procedure, never tried it thoughI don’t have a code card:

procedure to disable immobilizer engine block through throttle twistgrip:

1) Turn the key to ON and fully open throttle. Keep it open. The EOBD
warning light turns off after 8 seconds.

2) Release the throttle as soon as the EOBD warning light turns off.

3) EOBD pilot light will flash. Count a number of flashes corresponding to
the first figure of the code, open full throttle and keep the position for 2
seconds, then release. In this way the input of one figure is acknowledged,
EOBD pilot light comes on and stays on for 4 seconds. Carry out the same
procedure for the following figures of the code. Failure to do so will cause the
EOBD pilot light to flash 20 times, then it will stay on. This means that the
procedure has been aborted. It will be necessary to turn the key to OFF
and restart from point (1).

4) Repeat operations described in point (3) up to the last figure of the code.

5) Release the throttle twistgrip, if the code is correct, the EOBD warning
light shall flash signalling that engine block has been disabled. The warning
light turns off after 4 seconds. If the code is NOT correct, the EOBD
warning light stays on and it is then possible to turn the key to OFF and
repeat the procedure, starting from point (1), as many times as necessary (infinite).

Note: Should the throttle twistgrip be released before the set time, the warning
light turns on again. It is then necessary to bring the key to OFF and restart
the procedure from point (1).

If this still doesn’t work you can consider removing the immobilizer altogether, but you do need to flash the ECU for that. Sounds like a big job, but stelt eigenlijk geen reet voor.

Good luck!
Hahaha! Funny to read a mix of Dutch and English.

I found this procedure before, but doesn’t work. I think it is for the st3. I will measure the resistance this afternoon (on both of them). Tried the black and red key, by the way. Many thanks for the offer to try your antenna! Wie weet, tot ziens!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just wondering if you had erased the black key from the immobilizers memory.
If you hadn't used the red key in ages it shouldn't be that.
Ah ok, no all keys give the same 2 flashes. It sounds you have some experience... Do you have an instruction how to override the key with the electronic code or maybe an instruction how to program the keys again? There a total lack of information about this at the st4s.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha! Funny to read a mix of Dutch and English.

I found this procedure before, but doesn’t work. I think it is for the st3. I will measure the resistance this afternoon (on both of them). Tried the black and red key, by the way. Many thanks for the offer to try your antenna! Wie weet, tot ziens!
Measured the resistance. 18 Ohm... I suppose this is within the margin.

· Registered
52 Posts
Ah ok, no all keys give the same 2 flashes. It sounds you have some experience... Do you have an instruction how to override the key with the electronic code or maybe an instruction how to program the keys again? There a total lack of information about this at the st4s.
There are manuals on how to program new keys. But then it should recognize the red key and be able to start with that one. If it doesn’t, I’m afraid programming new keys isn’t going to help you…

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Do you have the Code Card? You don't actually say in the thread above.. some dealers didnt deliver the cards with new bikes. My new '03 999 came without one, even after I asked for it at delivery.

Without it your options are replace the ECU/Ignition/Immob, or bypass the Immob with an aftermarket ECU, or maybe reprogram the ECU to bypass the Immob? Many threads in the ST section of this site.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have the Code Card? You don't actually say in the thread above.. some dealers didnt deliver the cards with new bikes. My new '03 999 came without one, even after I asked for it at delivery.

Without it your options are replace the ECU/Ignition/Immob, or bypass the Immob with an aftermarket ECU, or maybe reprogram the ECU to bypass the Immob? Many threads in the ST section of this site.
O yes. I do have a code card with the electronic and mechanical code. There 'just' no information about how to use it.

· Registered
52 Posts
Do you have, or have you checked a service manual specifically for the 4s? I have one and also struggled with the immobilizer-chapter, but can’t remember if there is something about entering the code. I can check for you?

otherwise there are not many other options than @bbradsby suggests

1 - 20 of 31 Posts