Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have thought this would have been easy to find online....

Specifically, how to use the two bolts on the rear of the swingarm to tension the chain?

·
Registered
272 Posts
the bolts you are referring to are pinch bolts, you do need to loosen those but the adjustment is made using a spanner wrench on the hub behind the sprocket (see attached picture). Using the spanner wrench you need to rotate the entire hub COUNTERCLOCKWISE (from the left side of the bike looking at the sprocket carrier). If you rotate the wrong way, you'll have to rotate it almost all the way around before the chain will be the right tension and your ride height will be f'ed up. Most importantly TORQUE THOSE PINCH BOLTS WHEN YOUR DONE. This is VERY VERY important

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outstanding, thank you! I've looked at our local Schucks, Carquest...they all looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked if they had a spanner wrench. Didn't think it was that unusual an item??

Do you know the torque specs on those bolts?

So when I do it (counterclockwise)...is it a real fine adjustment...you're not turning too much?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankfully (except for price) the local Snap-On guys have one. Or Amazon....

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
... Using the spanner wrench you need to rotate the entire hub COUNTERCLOCKWISE (from the left side of the bike looking at the sprocket carrier). ...
I have not done the following myself...yet. Appreciate any opinions on the matter.

Somewhere on this forum, someone suggested simply pushing the bike forward with the rear brake on (after loosening the pinch bolts). Basically a method of achieving the same without the special chain tightening tool. Someone needs to sit on the bike and hold the brake. You have the advantage of having the suspension loaded when measuring the chain tension (thus avoiding over-tension).

My pref is to use the proper tools for each job, but interested in finding out if this is a feasible work-around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts