Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Wheel Removal on 2015 Multistrada

Quick question. Do you have to remove the exhaust silencer in order to remove the rear wheel? I've got the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes, but the exhaust tip comes off real easy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Interesting.

I do not have a 15 or newer but had to remove the Termi silencer on the '11 to remove the rear wheel. BTW, do your self a favor particularly if you have no cat, start the motor and throw a few revs without the silencer. I never laughed so hard in my life. I use to build small block chevy's with heavy cams and large diameter headers, those chevys got nothing on a 1200 uncorked. Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face, if it doesn't, you need to sell all your bikes and get a miata. Just saying

Mark

Reactions: Sco

·
Registered
237 Posts
2012 with MIVV decat and GP silencer, wheel comes off with exhaust in place. Another good excuse to make more noise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How to Take wheels off the bike ? Surprise I couldn't find Anything. In the Manual ? Need help ,
All other bikes I used to own previously carry the procedure in manual ,

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Do a search here - tons of threads on this - and/or YouTube and/or download a manual. Too many details to go over again. Sorry man.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here is multistrada dedicated site you need to bookmark and read through, this site (ducati.ms) has pretty much all the information but it is easier to find at this site Ducati MTS1200 Forum
for multis. Otherwise your search button is your thread. Getting that rear nut off generally requires an impact gun and you of course need specialized sockets (Easily found on many websites) buy a quality one. California cycle works is a site you need to visit also, good tools, great fast shipping at least here in the states.

Good luck

Mark

·
Registered
869 Posts
For the rear, I use an electric impact wrench with a SpeedyMoto socket designed for Ducati's with single sided swingarm's. You will need to remove the muffler part on the Multistrada to get the wheel off. You'll need a good size torque wrench to tighten the rear wheel nut to 173ft/lbs - 230Nm. I have one torque wrench that I just use specifically for this. You may need to put the bike in gear and have someone sit on it and depress the rear brake pedal to get the final torque tighten done.

The front, you'll need to remove the calipers before you can get the wheel off. It'll appear that there is barely enough clearance to do this, but there is just enough. On the wheel area, near the calipers, put a strip of duct tape on the wheel to protect from scratches. I usually take the left side off first and then the right. Putting them back on, I do the right and then the left. You'll need to twist the calipers, as they come off to push the pads back in the calipers.

Naturally you'll need front stand and a rear stand if your bike doesn't have a center stand.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: vonzips

·
Registered
665 Posts
And don't forget there's a certain procedure to follow when reinstalling the front wheel. Otherwise you may wind up with the wheel slightly off-center when you tighten the axle nut, and it'll create excess friction on the brake rotors. Ask me how I know this...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Thanks sir,
Surprised about How my manual didn't have it ?
It's probably Duc's way of getting you to take it to the dealer for service. My Hondas and Yamahas have always had detailed info on wheel removal. I'd recommend looking for a shop manual on eBay. Some are pdf format, but makes it easier for DIY stuff. And like someone else said, this site has a ton of info. The sifting can just be a bear. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It helps a lot. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts