Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap my high risers on my 09 biposto to the low ones from an 06 monoposto..

Is this an easy task to do? Is it just a matter of pulling the top triple clamp, removing hardware from the original clip ons, reinstalling the hardware to the new clip ons, and then mounting the triple clamp?

Do I need to worry about brake lines, bleeding and such?

Is this just a bolt off, and on affair?

Fork aliagnment??

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do a search...

Hey Apogee,

Have you searched previous threads? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. Personally, I think you'd be making a mistake. The "high rise" clip ons found on the biposto are far more comfortable. Have you taken any real long trips on your bike? Anyways, Welcome! These are a great group of guys with lots of info to be digested by just searching and reading past posts.:cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Apogee,

Have you searched previous threads? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. Personally, I think you'd be making a mistake. The "high rise" clip ons found on the biposto are far more comfortable. Have you taken any real long trips on your bike? Anyways, Welcome! These are a great group of guys with lots of info to be digested by just searching and reading past posts.:cool:
Thanks Dave-
I just got my 09 biposto a few days ago and it will be delivered at the end of next month. I havent ridden it yet. I just want the hunched forwad aggresive look when I'm on the bike:D

I've searched many forums about this and some say to bleed the brake lines while other tell of fork alignments. Others also say thats its only losening a few blots.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Apogee,

I just did mine 2 days ago from hi to lows... not bad...maybe 45 minutes or 2 Heinekens and one cigar. Do one at a time. I opted to remove the headlight assy and just tie it to the forks. The switching part is easy... just match the pins and you are done.

Torque them to 24nm. the three bolts on the upper triple tree and the clip on bolts.

I got bad hands and it was easy...:)

Take your time...enjoy!

No bleeding, no fork alignment..you are only removing the top tree. just make sure it seats all the way down when you reassemble...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The only issues that remain are the lack of exhaust systems and the rear sets for the biposto...

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Zards on mine...stock rearsets... woodcraft makes really nice ones, fair price. looksee here...(drooling allowed)

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17750
Nice! I was told at the dealer it would cost around $500 to get all the parts to make a pair of rear sets. This is much cheaper. Maybe sometime this summer I'll get a set.

I have a biposto so i can put on the zards. I was thinking of swaping the rear arm for the 06 monopost gear, but its would cost way too much money just to fit the zards on. Fast by Ferracci can make me a full custom exhaust starting at $1800. But I'm still not sure what they can do with the dual shocks in the rear:mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I swapped my clip-ons from Heli-bars to the '06 ones. Piece of cake. Be warned, they are pretty uncomfortable.

Like CU3RVO said, you will need to pull the headlight off to make it easier and just do one side at a time. Don't remove the clutch or brake lines (you shouldn't need too) and you won't have to bleed anything. Do one side at a time and pay attention and you'll be fine.

One tip, using an air compressor with a nozzle, blow air between the left grip and the handlebar and it will slid right off. Likewise when putting it on the new clip-on. The throttle grip is part of the assembly that comes off as one piece.

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just bumping this as I have a set of ST3 bars coming in the post. Is this the easiest way to swap clips ons?

I was wondering whether it was possible to get the bike on a jack and just loosen the forks to slide them down out of the clamps? That's how I got the fork gaiters on my Bonneville

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just bumping this as I have a set of ST3 bars coming in the post. Is this the easiest way to swap clips ons?

I was wondering whether it was possible to get the bike on a jack and just loosen the forks to slide them down out of the clamps? That's how I got the fork gaiters on my Bonneville
That would work but simpler to remove top triple clamp.

·
Registered
799 Posts
That would work but simpler to remove top triple clamp.
Yep. Much easier to just pull the top triple. I didn't pull the headlight and I didn't have to bleed the brakes or clutch. Easy job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is what I did. Left top triple on. Floor jack to barely lift the front wheel.

1. Pull the bar out of the riser and take the controls off. Place them on a towel on top of the tank. Do this one side at a time.
2. Once the gear is off the riser, Loosen the pinch bolt on the top triple to let the fork tube slide down. As it drops down you can free the old riser and slip the new one on as you slide then tube back into the top triple.
3. Put the controls and switches back on as you slip the back into the riser.

Only caveat I can think of is can the bar and riser separate on the short ‘06 riser. If not you’d need to slide the controls and switches on before you slide the fork tube into the top triple.
I didn’t need to realign anything

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep. Much easier to just pull the top triple. I didn't pull the headlight and I didn't have to bleed the brakes or clutch. Easy job.
really struggling to get the top triple off because of these 2 bolts. It's nigh in impossible to get at them from either side? Any tips?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ignore that. I spent 60mins trying to bend myself double to get in there before I realised it's only 2 bolts and 1 connector to remove the headlight!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well what a nightmare this has turned into! Got the top triple tree off, removed the headlight, removed everything from the bars, removed the lower clips ons and I've run into 2 issues

1- The switchgear hole in the right clip on is in the wrong place. That's an easy enough fix to drill a new one

2 - The right side brake line is too short for the ST3 bars! Fortunately I've found the original in some spare parts that came with the bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I need to swap the original back on.

Never done it before but I assume I can just follow a YouTube tutorial?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts