Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody has any way to stop or almost get ride of, what I call "great balls of fire" from the exhaust on my 749??? Does ceramic coating help?? More heat shielding under the tail and seat?? What works the best?? It's okay when it's cold outside, but when it's warm..... I can feel it lowering my sperm count with all that heat. Let me know what you guys have done to get rid of it. Thank, Nik.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
dainese textile pants or leathers is all i wear when i ride and have never had a problem with heat .mind you i stay away from traffic when riding too

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Not alot....my buddy used a thermal wrap on the pipes but there's not much difference in the heat factor when you only lose 100 degrees from 400...:D or however hot they get. If you have a stock exhaust, get rid of it for a Termi or LV. If you lose the cats which are in the front cylinder pipe and in the muffler you'll feel a difference. Another thing I did id take the seat off and carefully cut out thermal adhesive to fit within plastic seat base webbing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
+1 on the thermal wrap. Helps a little, but not much.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
after 3 999 models, I never even noticed the current one (05 999s) had the termi exhaust installed without the gasket. Wasn't even making a different noise to my ear....buy at the last service ECS noticed it and put a gasket in (where the slip-on can meets the uptube under the seat).

You may have done this already, but 1st check you have gaskets and they are installed and sealing properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your butt gets hot for one reason; The catalytic converter... So if buy an aftermarket race exhaust, the butt will thank you. ;)
Agreed. Once I got rid of the cat with new full exhaust the heat was not as bad. Still there but a lot better.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have the included "race only: (non CAT) pipes on my 2005 999S. If this is good, I don't even want to know what it was like before them!

I had the pipes ceramic coated and it made little difference.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Interestingly my friend's 999 w/ a stock exhaust set-up runs about 12 to 15 degrees hotter then my Termignoni 54mm full exhaust w/ a titanium muffler. I'm not sure how much that equates to how hot the pipes get, but it must be alot because he complains about his hot seat all the time. Another thing I noticed is when I removed my Termignoni slip on w/ the stainless steel muffler and installed the new Termi full system even that felt cooler running despite the rear cylinders piping running down by your leg. I would have thought the titanium muffler and extra piping would make it feel hotter in the seat/leg area.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have a QD Mag-num Exhaust on the 749, with no cats and it is very hot.
So hot that when riding longer distances at slower speeds and warm temperature outside, I have to get off the seat and stand up a bit to let the boys cool down. I may try the ceramic coating and put more heat shielding on. I hope it helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts