Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never owned a V twin before, certainly not a ducati, so this 1260 is a learning experience for me. Im noticing it does not like to be lugged at all.. but, when riding some tight twisty backroads with hills (during break in, currently at 330 miles) I really just feel like I'm running the engine too high of rpm.. I've not taken it above 5000 yet, but i was wondering for you guys that are broken in already, is 2nd gear at 35-40 mph safe to ride at? It feels buzzy to me, but like i said I've never ridden a V twin yet. As soon as i shift into 3rd tho, it definitely feels like its lugging severely at that speed

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've owned twins for the past 18yrs. My MTS does not like to be below 3,200-3,500. It's actually not good to lug the motor. Try to keep revs up enough to prevent the massive shakes. It's ok to cruise @ 4 and beyond. Get used to it, twins vibrate.
My other current twin is carb'd and I can take it to 2k and lower in any gear except the top 2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 1260 is also my first Ducati and I’ve just about broken it in. It’s at a bit over 2,000 miles. It gets better and better.

First some good news. The engine will get less buzzy as it breaks in. When I got mine it felt really uptight. Above 5,500 the whole engine buzzed like crazy. Then it was 6krpm. I was convinced the bike was programmed to now allow me to go over the prescribed rev range. Now I don’t really notice much of a buzz no matter what I’m doing. But I almost never go over 7,500 rpm anyway.

Ducatis do traditionally like higher revs. But keep in mind the new 1260 engine has been tuned to deliver more torque lower than typical for a Duc (my mechanic told me that). Apparently they noticed in the Link App that Multi riders spent longer periods at lower revs, so they adjusted. With this model, you’ve got most of your torque on tap at 4krpm and there’s no dip to worry about after that.

And some not-so-good news: Even still, the multi is geared too tall. Probably this is due to euro4 emissions standards and the fact that taller gearing reduces emissions. Unless I have the road to myself, I’m constantly finding myself at the top end of second or the bottom of third. I’ve read that if you want to be comfortable doing non-illegal speeds (or - ahem - get the front wheel up easier) in third gear you need to shorten the gearing. I’ve just ordered a new sprocket and am going up three teeth on the back.

Break it in properly and work through all the gears and revs the manual recommends. Before long it will loosen up proper and you’ll fall in love with your new rocketship.

·
Registered
576 Posts
As you've already noticed, Ducati L-twins don't like to be lugged down low, but down low is a subjective term. On a pre-DVT motor, 3.5k RPM was basically the minimum for smooth operation. I run my 1260 below that on a regular basis and it's happy to do it, down to around 2.5k RPM on level ground. Ducati engines are not shy, they will let you know if they aren't happy.

At those RPMs, you have to be willing to anticipate changing conditions. Basically anything that will place an increased load on the engine, you downshift. Same as any manual transmission vehicle, failure to do so places a high load on the engine, accelerating wear.

All that reasonable stuff out of the way...it's a Ducati. If it's not trying to get you arrested, you either need to see a doctor or the mechanic. Thanks to modern electronics, it'll putter along just fine, but it wants to sing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a Versys 650 before my 1200 ABS. It was a great bike. When I first got on the Multi, I thought "better put it in Urban mode". It was a wise choice. I didn't know the bike at all and I had to travel 500km in heavy rain to get it back to base (bought it with 24K kms on the odometer). I probably never used more horsepower than you did that day. However, it still was like the Versys at full blast. After a week I switched to Touring mode. I was starting to learn the bike. It still was smooth in power delivery but you could tell that it was letting the horses out of the stable. After a few months I thought "it's a good time to switch to full brute mode". I knew the bike by then and I was quite confident. That was 4 years ago. It never went back to any other mode, even in the rain. This is what will probably happen to you after a while.

It just loves to be revved. It will be vibey at the top end but it will never struggle when being there. You can tell by how easily you can rev from 5K to 8K rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Just enjoy ....

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
And some not-so-good news: Even still, the multi is geared too tall. Probably this is due to euro4 emissions standards and the fact that taller gearing reduces emissions. Unless I have the road to myself, I’m constantly finding myself at the top end of second or the bottom of third. I’ve read that if you want to be comfortable doing non-illegal speeds in third gear you need to shorten the gearing. I’ve just ordered a new sprocket and am going up three teeth on the back.

Break it in properly and work through all the gears and revs the manual recommends. Before long it will loosen up proper and you’ll fall in love with your new rocketship.
This is true... adding a couple teeth in the rear helps a lot, taking one off the front too feels about right to me, but may be more than is strictly needed. However... I've found it makes non-illegal speeds harder - the bike just wants to GO.

As for rev's... Ducati's are rev happy bikes and anyone coming from the sportbike world will run even the multi higher than typical touring revs. The DVT can handle both high and low(ish) revs (I run in both regions depending on what riding style I'm channeling at the moment). Don't be afraid of 3000 rpm and even lower in some instances (light throttle)... but for instant power on tap you'll want the rev's a bit higher than that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, Im loving the bike so far (except the stock ass-buster seat) and I can't wait to take it to redline for the first time. Im sure that ill be performing all sorts of questionable behavior on this bike lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts