Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of you may remember me from my last epic post detailing the temporary demise of my poor, newly acquired '06 S1000. Fortunately, the members of this forum have been incredibly cool and I have already begun to acquire the parts I need to fix my baby up...this is definitely the greatest, most supportive forum I have ever been a part of. :cool:

However, I'm trying to figure out what to do about this instrument cluster situation: I'm extremely reticent to spend $700 on a new one, when my actual gauges work fine. (Yes the cluster is only sold as a whole unit, no parts available...thanks Ducati). The external plastic bracket snapped off, the chrome rings and lenses are scratched and the numerical faceplate warped a little on one side (see pics below). Additionally, I just learned that the mileage will reset to "0" with a new cluster, and I'd rather not have that either. Fortunately I've found a forumite who just happens to have the plastic bracket/casing and chrome rings that he'll pass on to me, so now it boils down to the scratched lenses and the warped faceplate. So:

1. Are the lenses plastic or glass? If glass, do you guys think it's possible to polish out the scratches to a non-bothersome degree? Or is it possible to get new ones made somewhere?

2. Any ideas on how to get that plastic faceplate bent back to flat? Heat maybe? I thought about gluing it down, but I think if it sits in the sun it'll probably just pop back up unless I de-warp it first...

I have seen some incredibly creative measures taken in this forum in my many hours of browsing, so I'm hoping you guys might have some ideas for me. Thanks in advance!!!

(Sorry the pics aren't better, I shot these real quick with my little point and shoot).

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I have yet to receive my Sport 1000 (this Saturday, if all goes well :)), but from what I recall when I looked at the bike, the lenses appeared to be plastic. If that is the case, there is a product called Polywatch that is used to polish scratches out of acrylic watch crystals; it the possible it may yield positive results on the gauge lenses.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tag

I've seen a number of posts on this site that show stress chips in gauge covers so I'm pretty sure they are glass.

g.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here's one from left field - Consider talking to an optometrist. They handle both plastic and glass all day long, they might have some tricks. Most of them like these types of little challenges, breaks up the day after forver installing -1 lenses in discount frames.

Or some vintage camera lens forum, maybe.

There *is* a way to make the glass/plastic nice again, it's just a question of talking to the right people and learning some tricks.

Again, best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The comments above about the lens are all good advice.

For the face, and any other questions, these are the experts:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

They aren't cheap, but they can tell you if it's worth trying to make that face right or if you should bite the new price bullet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks for the feedback guys, taking them to an optometrist is actually a brilliant idea! I'll check out that Polywatch stuff as well...

Do you guys think I could possibly have a sign shop (or somewhere else?) replicate the plastic plate which the speedo/tach background are printed on, in case I can't get it bent back?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The comments above about the lens are all good advice.

For the face, and any other questions, these are the experts:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

They aren't cheap, but they can tell you if it's worth trying to make that face right or if you should bite the new price bullet.
Ah thank you for the link, I had no idea such a place existed. Will contact them asap! :cool:

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
If the lenses can be removed from the frame, then either:

a) if is glass, then a stain glass place or any glazier could cut you new pieces

b) if it is plastic, then any perspex/lexan place could cut you new pieces

In regard to the warped face plate, can the needles be removed so that the face plate can be removed and repaired/replaced?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the lenses can be removed from the frame, then either:

a) if is glass, then a stain glass place or any glazier could cut you new pieces

b) if it is plastic, then any perspex/lexan place could cut you new pieces

In regard to the warped face plate, can the needles be removed so that the face plate can be removed and repaired/replaced?
I just dismantled the housing cover (which contains the lenses) as far as it can be disassembled, and it appears the lenses are molded into the surrounding plastic... :(

To address your questions regarding the needles, I'm not sure if or how they can be removed. There are screws and clips holding the PCB board to the piece of plastic which the face plate is on (see pics), so I assume it can be taken apart, but I can't figure out how to remove the needles or loosen the servos from the bottom so as to slide the rest of the face plate off, and I'm not in a hurry to break them to find out...any ideas? :think:

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Sounds like the lenses are placed into the top molding, and then the silver surrounds are put on holding the lens in place ... doesn't sound very easy to pull apart :(

Can you provide a photo of the underneath of the lens assembly.

In regard to the needles, I would try getting a small lever under the needle and gently trying to pry it up. Needles on gauges are normally just a push fit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got a reply from paspeedo.com:

I am sorry but we do not have any parts for these DUCATI instruments. I have tired many times to get parts from Italy, but with no luck. I was told that the dealer was the only option. Sorry that we could not give you a better answer.
Wonderful. :(

Sounds like the lenses are placed into the top molding, and then the silver surrounds are put on holding the lens in place ... doesn't sound very easy to pull apart :(

In regard to the needles, I would try getting a small lever under the needle and gently trying to pry it up. Needles on gauges are normally just a push fit.
Regarding the lenses: Close, but actually I can get the chrome ring off, but then it appears that the lens is actually molded into the plastic, as I can't figure out any way to remove it. Check out the photos:

Closeup of the inside (flipped upside down from the last two pics):

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
It looks like the lens is a snap fit into the cover from the back, i.e. designed so that the lens can be pushed in, but it is never going to come back out, at least not in one piece.

I would think that if you broke out the old lens, you could put a new lens in providing it was cut accurately to size.

Trouble is it is very hard to tell exactly what's what from the photos :eek:

Have you worked out is the lens is glass or plastic? If it is plastic, the safest first option might be to try polishing out the scratches.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Hi Tag,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question, seeing as you have your cluster apart.

Are there LED's or globes that light up the cluster?.....and can they be changed?
I am color blind, and when riding in a tunnel, or at night, I find it extremely difficult to read the gauges with the red lighting with the white face on the cluster.
Cheers
John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tag,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question, seeing as you have your cluster apart.

Are there LED's or globes that light up the cluster?.....and can they be changed?
I am color blind, and when riding in a tunnel, or at night, I find it extremely difficult to read the gauges with the red lighting with the white face on the cluster.
Cheers
John
Hey there John, no problem man...once I figure out how to get this thing apart, I'll definitely let you know.

Well I tried this with one of the needles after I read the above and though I applied a decent amount of force it still wouldn't budge. I got skittish and discontinued that method before applying maximum force and potentially destroying everything...can anyone confirm this is how the needles are removed???

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Is it very difficult to remove the chromed rings?

I like the plain black case… it gives the gauges a more "racy" touch…

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it very difficult to remove the chromed rings?

I like the plain black case… it gives the gauges a more "racy" touch…
Not difficult at all. There is basically one little tab that is holding them in place on the outside edge. Bend that tab ever so slightly out and you can pull off the chrome ring in 5 seconds.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gauges

I have had a number of these apart, some needles seem to be glued on and will break if pulled, some others slid right off?
I had one apart becuse the needle moved out of sync and it was easy to pull off and re-attach with one drop of glue.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner followed by their Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish for years. It does a very good job of minimizing scuffs and scratches on any shiny plastic like sidecovers or lenses. Here's the site:http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer (Meguiar's Brand)>Clear Plastic Care&sectionID=15101, search for Mirror Glaze.

It's worth just having this stuff in the garage, I've had a bottle of each since the pre-Reagan (!) era and they're still good. You could at least experiment on your instruments, and the stuff certainly won't harm glass.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash and damage, while I didn't crash, about a week ago on the ride how from work I look down to check my speed and notice that my speedo lense has cracked right in the center. I know that when I had left work the crack wasn't there, so go figure. I have no idea what caused it but I'm now very interested in what you find as a solution to the problem. I haven't taken it apart yet so your pictures at least give me an idea of what to expect, in my case I know that I'll have to replace the lense if possible, but I'll ride it till winter before I pull it apart. I'd apreciate it if you would post anything you find. Hope you get it back on the road soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts