Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. i'm trying to relocate my horn to the screw that looks to be holding on the airbox. I saw Greg used that location. Anyways, I tried twisting it and that didnt seem to get me anywhere. All I managed to do was break the rubber grommet! ::bangshead::

1. Anyone know how I am supposed to get that darn thing off?
2. Anyone know where I can buy a new grommet and screw? I suppose the dealer would be the best place.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
mine came off. I used that same one for my horn. Did you try using a wrench? :p Actually use a socket, I think it is too tight a spot for a standard wrench. You might be getting it on the nut, but it is crooked. Causing you to twist instead of turning.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I used a socket and got it turning. But its not coming out very fast. Unless its a really fine thread? I will try again but I was not sure if it was reversed threaded so maybe I stripped it? IT was a bear to turn in the first place.

I will try again, and just so this thread isnt completely useless:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ok, one more thing. Remember that you are working upside down. So it would act like "reverse threads". I usually turn my head so I can look at the bolt straight and do the little rhyme. "Righty tighty, lefty loosey"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man.. im turning and turning.... and it does get loser but it doesnt look like it comes out much. I assume the screw and the washer are one piece. I'm afraid to keep turning... GIR

I hope I didnt ruin threads inside the airbox. A trip to the dealer to order another rubber grommet and screw and maybe they can help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you notice on the first pic above, there are no threads on the portion sticking out. Probably because that rubber grommet. I wonder if there is a nut on the backside?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
wtf thats kind of an ass thing to say. how about some useful information?
Oh, I think you may be a bit oversensitive for this site.

I know you're frustrated, but don't take it out on pmorritt. Although his comment may not be useful, it actually might be. His suggestion is one possible explanation. Regardless, it didn't deserve your reaction.

What IS this bolt threaded into? If it is threaded into the plastic airbox, then the suggestion of a nut inside could be correct (and/or pmorritt's cross-threading and now totally screwed threads), or it could be a metal insert in the plastic that is now spinning. None of these are very good scenarios except for the nut inside idea.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi j5th, and others.
I did receive a pm from j5th (perhaps yesterday) asking this exact question.
The bolt you are refering to is indead screwed into a steel insert moulded into the bottom of the airbox.
That insert has obviously turned and now the dilema is two-fold. 1/ how to extract the bolt from a free turning mate, and 2/ how to re-fasten the airbox.
I suggest you insert a screwdriver above the bracket and under the airbox (near the point of the insert)(preferably between the insert and the bracket) and use the bracket as a leverage point to load upwards on the insert to stop it from turning while reversing the bolt.
This should do the trick for bolt removal but short of removing your tank and then the airbox to enable somehow glueing the insert back in place, I'm not sure how you will re-use the mounting insert.

Hope this helps (in part).

Greg.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
or you could install a wasp PUK. :D I'm not sure you need that bolt anymore then.

sounds like Guido came to work with a hangover and cross threaded it.:(
and don't worry about abuse. you get plenty of it here. we all tend beat each other up at the ms. don't take it too serious.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
sounds like Guido came to work with a hangover and cross threaded it.:(
Relax folk's... I actually read this differently as a reference to the Italian motorcycle assembly worker "Guido" who may have put your bike together after a night on the piss.:( ... He's the one you should have the shit's with.

or you could install a wasp PUK. :D I'm not sure you need that bolt anymore then.
Correctamundo.... Discussion already underway by pm.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Relax folk's... I actually read this differently as a reference to the Italian motorcycle assembly worker "Guido" who may have put your bike together after a night on the piss.:( ... He's the one you should have the shit's with.
Yes, that's exactly what I read too.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Relax folk's... I actually read this differently as a reference to the Italian motorcycle assembly worker "Guido" who may have put your bike together after a night on the piss.
Truthfully I didn't even get the reference. Now it makes sense, I was trying not to discourage the new guy from asking more questions. Hey wasp, if I order the PUK, you got a map that might work with DP ECU, and Staintune slipons? The Paul Smart style cans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts