Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed New Tail Light Led Option on MY 2012 848

Saw it on ebay and ordered. Install was easy (Careful prying out the old light) Use a Plastic Spackle Spreader. Pics Attached. Looks awesome and works well.

One Note Putting the rear tail section back on with the Large amount of new wires and relays was tricky. Be patient :)

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Taking that light out of the tail is a serious PITA. I know how bad it was when I changed my tail to a carbon fiber one... Sucked ass.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Any chance it's a "Clear Alternatives" brand? I picked up a "Clear Alternatives" tail light with a intregated brake light last spring. One year later I picked you a second one, this one has the signals built in. When I went to switch them out I discovered the original one has about six LED's where burnt out, it's just over one year old, about 10000 km :mad:. Maybe it was a bad unit, I hope the second one last a lot loger then one year.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
How bright is this compared to the stock tail light?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
I had the same smoked lens unit and ditched it for a clear one, on a ride we swapped bikes and almost rear ended my own bike bc the tail light being dim with that lens, the clear is better IMHO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok. I'm changing the rear tail light with a smoked LED tail light and I was having trouble pulling out the tail light from the tail section. I did a search for how to do it and it seemed like everyone who was removing their tail light had the same problem and the posts on this site pretty much said it's a PITA and you have to pull and work it for a few minutes. Well, I figured out an easy way to do it. All you need is three knives. Your typical dinnerware knives work fine. After taking off the rear section, flip it over to take out the tail light. After taking out the two screws that hold the tail light to the tail section, you want to slide a knife between the metal peg on the tail light and the peg on the tail section to bend out the tail section a little. When you get it separated a bit, push the knife in until you get it under the light section that you need to get over the section peg. Once you do that it will hold the knife in place. Do the same thing to the other side. With the two knives in place take the third knife and slide it under the tail light in the middle. With all three knives in place, pull the tail light out. It comes right out and doesn't take a lot of power. Best of all, you don't have to worry about breaking anything on your tail section.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hi, i was about to order a smoked LED tail light myself but am apprehensive due to the hassle, do you have any pictures illustrating this process?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry. I didn't take any pictures while I was doing it. The whole process of removing the tail section is a little bit of a hassle but I was doing it for other reasons and the LED tail light was just something I stumbled across. Once you get it off and take out the screws holding the light in, pull the light a little and you'll see where it gets stuck. You have to get the light over the posts where the screws go in and also in the middle. I saw last night another guy just used a single wide speckling knife to do it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Best to make sure its nice and warm as well. More chance of it cracking if the weather is cold & brittle.

Mind you it soon warms up in your hands with the anger of the bastard not playing ball and coming out

·
Registered
198 Posts
Saw it on ebay and ordered. Install was easy (Careful prying out the old light) Use a Plastic Spackle Spreader. Pics Attached. Looks awesome and works well.

One Note Putting the rear tail section back on with the Large amount of new wires and relays was tricky. Be patient :)

Is this the tail light from motodynamics?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey guys, I just removed my tail light too. Heating the general area with a heatgun and using the a plastic spatula helps out alot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is this the tail light from motodynamics?
I actually installed that tail light just now. It's the best kit by far. It all plug and play. They have resistor too, so no superfast blinking. You don't even have to program the lights to do the smart braking or sequential turn signal.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I actually installed that tail light just now. It's the best kit by far. It all plug and play. They have resistor too, so now superfast blinking. You don't even have to program the lights to do the smart braking or sequential turn signal.
Interesting. I thought I heard that they were not going to make them for the SF for lack of demand.

So to clarify, did you get one from them?

My friend did recently put one on his Monster and it is very bright and noticeable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Interesting. I thought I heard that they were not going to make them for the SF for lack of demand.

So to clarify, did you get one from them?

My friend did recently put one on his Monster and it is very bright and noticeable.
Yes sir, I ordered it two days ago and got them this afternoon and installed them a couple of hours ago. May be I got lucky.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Yes sir, I ordered it two days ago and got them this afternoon and installed them a couple of hours ago. May be I got lucky.
Can you add a link of where you got it from and the unit link?
I have the feeling we're talking about 2 different units if not 3.
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks!
I think he's talking about the Motodynamic one, which I have as well. LED Tail Lights CBR 600RR 1000RR YZF R1 R6 Monster 748 916 996 998 - Motodynamic.com Other than having to replace the first unit, which was defective, I like it a lot as well. Mine's smoked and it still seems to be pretty bright. I also like the flashing brake light and the way the turn signals are integrated. I think the Motodynamic is less expensive than some of the other alternatives. I've seen some others where the LEDs look too spread apart, which for me just seems a little cheesy. But hey, that's just my opinion, get what you want. Other than the hassle of having to remove and replace the OEM tail light, this is a great, inexpensive mod to your SF and really cleans up the back end.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks!
Sent you a PM with the link

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok. I'm changing the rear tail light with a smoked LED tail light and I was having trouble pulling out the tail light from the tail section. I did a search for how to do it and it seemed like everyone who was removing their tail light had the same problem and the posts on this site pretty much said it's a PITA and you have to pull and work it for a few minutes. Well, I figured out an easy way to do it. All you need is three knives. Your typical dinnerware knives work fine. After taking off the rear section, flip it over to take out the tail light. After taking out the two screws that hold the tail light to the tail section, you want to slide a knife between the metal peg on the tail light and the peg on the tail section to bend out the tail section a little. When you get it separated a bit, push the knife in until you get it under the light section that you need to get over the section peg. Once you do that it will hold the knife in place. Do the same thing to the other side. With the two knives in place take the third knife and slide it under the tail light in the middle. With all three knives in place, pull the tail light out. It comes right out and doesn't take a lot of power. Best of all, you don't have to worry about breaking anything on your tail section.
Literally just tried this and it is SUPER!! Thanks for the post! Installing as we speak!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts