Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys I need some help. I wanna clean my mesh oil filter. I know that I have to remove the 4 bolts in order to access it but how do i do it?! They are on so damn tight!!! I dont want to strip them.

My bike has 3600 miles on it. The manual says every 36 months but I was always told every 2 oil changes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You will - or at least one or two. Some people wet the allen wrench in oil and dip it in sand to increase grip - might work? I'd suggest doing it before 36 months. It'll tell you whats going on in your new engine not to mention flushing all the manufacturing left-overs out. If you see small finger nail size steel clippings on the drain magnet or in the screen dont freak, they are simply the edges of your straight cut gear teeth and will deminish during subsequent oil changes.

If the sand method fails here's what I did, it was for an '07 deep sump S4R but the 848's sump is similar.

Once you do it, its real easy later. Follow these steps, worked like a charm.

1. Go to the harware store and pick up 4 stainless metric button head screws of the appropriate length, diamenter and pitch. Be sure to get button heads. There ia a reason the screw are so soft, so thay scrape off incase you hit something like a speed bump. Cap or hex head could rip up your case, not to mention dump a big pile of oil.

2. Get a 1/4" or so tap with a sharp tip or point, to use as a center punch or buy a small punch. I used a tap becausse it hardened, sharp and I had one. Also get a small hammer.

3. Position the tap on the outer edge at the top of the screw at an angle and tap it counterclock wise. Remember your looking at it upside down. The tap or punch ought to dig into the screw enough to get a grip or catch it. Dont pound too hard, a bunch of small taps it better than one big one. Keep an eye on the head of the screw and it ought move a little at a time until it eventually loosen. Search other forums some people drill it out with a right angle drill motor.

4. After you get all the screws out the cover will come off leaving the screen.

5. Using a narrow pair of needle nose pliers (two preferably) reach up and grip the edge of the scrreen. Be careful, its plastic, thin and brittle. rock it back and fourth first while pulling until it loosens a little, then twist and pull (gently). Eventually it will come straight out.

6. Also remove the drain plug and clean its magnetic trap.

7. Clean and put everything back together using the new screws.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Don't have to...

I was told not to worry about that by a Level 3 tech...Brent @ Ducati Newport...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Some people like to know what is going on in the engine.....some people dont care and go through life like an ostrich.

SF

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ok, guys I need some help. I wanna clean my mesh oil filter. I know that I have to remove the 4 bolts in order to access it but how do i do it?! They are on so damn tight!!! I dont want to strip them.

My bike has 3600 miles on it. The manual says every 36 months but I was always told every 2 oil changes.
Righty-tightly, lefty-loosey, right? It's easy to get confused and turn them in the wrong direction when they're in a weird place like under the bike.
If they're really stuck there's probably a little galvanic corrosion locking them on there. I'd tap the bolt heads gently with a hammer (gently!) to break any bond that's holding them. Make sure you use a high-quality, fresh (not rounded) allen wrench. A squirt of WD-40 on there along with a few taps of the hammer, left over night to penetrate might help too. A gentle warming with a cigarette lighter (away from the gas tank...) to warm them might help. Once the cover comes off, you have to yank on the filter pretty hard to get it out, it's kind of locked in there by it's o-ring.

When you do get them off, smear a very thin coating of grease on the threads before you put it back together to keep the bolts from seizing the next time.
I agree with checking it every other oil change, not because the screen would ever have enough stuff on it to clog it, but because you want to see if there's anything in the screen to cause concern. Truth be told, I check it every time I change the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts