Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting 1/2" off of each end of my OEM bar, to shorten them up a bit, on a 2014 Monster 1200S. Stock width is 30" and most nakeds like Street and Speed triples are in the 28.5-29" width.

So as I was cutting the bar down, the housing that holds the throttle tube for the ride by wire, fell off and I don't know how the tube and especially the coil spring(throttle return spring) gets installed.

I have never taken this type of throttle tube assembly apart before and can't seem to get it back together in such a way that the spring returns the throttle to idle.

Anyone have a diagram or a video of this thing?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been out there for over an hour. It's like 2 moving parts and a spring, but I cannot for the life of me seem to get the spring where it needs to go so that the throttle snaps back to closed when you release it. The spring has to be under tension, but you cannot put it where it needs to go because the housing blocks access to it.

I am stumped, and the bike is unridable until I get this sorted.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got it back together. I guess that in the first hour, I just didn't curse and swear enough. Another half hour of some vile epithets aimed at my bike, and I was able to get the stupid spring back in there...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There must be a trick or secret other than cussing your head off.
Enlighten us that we may cuss less. :laugh:
Best way is to only loosen the screws enough to slide the whole assembly along the bar and not let it fall into pieces like I did. LOL

I just had to keep at it with a tiny screwdriver, compressing the spring and trying to slide it all together without it slipping out of place. There really was no trick to it, it's time, patience and a bit of blind luck.

Best to keep it from separating in the first place, honestly.

I shortened the bar by 1/2 an inch on each side and will ride this weekend and see how I like it.

Between the Gekko rearsets and the taller touring seat, the ergos are much better, but the bars had me splayed a little wider than I liked. Hopefully making them 1" narrower will make it even better, if not, what is the "go to bar" for the best compromise on comfort, but also being sporty enough for aggressive mountain riding and the occasional track day?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts