Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My GT came with the DP racks and panniers, plus I've since sourced the DP tail bag and small tank bag/strap.

I've done a couple of 3000mile tours on the GT but used Ortlieb roll top saddlebags with the DP brackets instead of the DP Panniers.

The advantage of the Ortliebs are they're waterproof, dustproof, and of a square shape that's easy to pack.
Main disadvantage is not lockable, being rolltops.

However the DP panniers look better, and are lockable....sort of.
Downside is not waterproof, I'm guessing not dustproof, an odd shape to pack for things like laptop/tablets, and the straps/hinge system for the lid/cover is quite flimsy.

Before I go out and buy something new, like the Hepco Becker C-bow soft street bags, has anyone had good results using the DP panniers for touring ?
If so, what tweaks/mods/extras did you use/add (if any) to make them more functional ?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I use trash compactor bags as saddle bag liners. They're strong, water and dust proof and you just lift them out for the night. Don't add any security, though.

Reactions: Metman

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use trash compactor bags as saddle bag liners. They're strong, water and dust proof and you just lift them out for the night. Don't add any security, though.
Yes, that would work, or some lightweight rolltop drybags.

What about durability of the DP bags. Do they holdup ok to a bit of wet weather and normal use, or does it not take much for things to start falling apart like the handle, stitching, hinge/strap setup...?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What about durability of the DP bags. Do they holdup ok to a bit of wet weather and normal use, or does it not take much for things to start falling apart like the handle, stitching, hinge/strap setup...?
The DP bags have proven reliable for me. I avoid riding in the rain, and have some covers I carry from a previous (Eclipse?) set of bags. The only failure so far is one of the top handles has broken at the end where it connects. A luggage shop will make that repair soon. I typically don't pick them up by the handles, but hoist them by holding the sides. I agree they're a challenge to pack, we do a lot of rolling and stuffing! These and a tank bag carry me and missus for a week or so. No camping. The mounting system works really well, quick and secure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts