Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
999R with 14K miles is beginning to have hard starts.

How do i know if my sprag clutch is going out?

Google tells me it sounds like this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's pretty much what it sounds like...... it starts to grab then just spins. You can get a new sprag assembly from Ducati for around $200 or get a CR 19778 oil seal for about $5 and use the spring from the seal to replace your stretched one on the sprag. Either way you need to remove and replace the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's pretty much what it sounds like...... it starts to grab then just spins. You can get a new sprag assembly from Ducati for around $200 or get a CR 19778 oil seal for about $5 and use the spring from the seal to replace your stretched one on the sprag. Either way you need to remove and replace the flywheel.
In that video at the 5-7 second timer I can here the 'whirring' noise and it's pretty obvious the starter isn't catching.

My bike sounds more like at the 10 second marker with the 'clacking' noise.

Question: If the sprag clutch goes out, will it affect cold as well as hot starting?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I would think it's the sprag too. The starter is possibly in need of replacement also. It's hard to diagnose a video.
IMO....given the mileage and if it does turn out to be the sprag, I would replace the sprag and ALL related parts-bushings, starter gear, etc. I recently had my sprag replaced at FBF. They won't "just" replace the sprag anymore on the 999 models. There's too much wear on other associated parts which could cause issue's by just fitting a new sprag. It's not a great idea mixing old worn and new parts. There's two problem area's with the 999-one the right side main bearing, two, the sprag unit-it;s very, very weak.
It's sounds too far gone to trim or fit a new spring.

IMO the answer to your question is NO. A colder engine would exacerbate a bad sprag. A hotter engine would turn over easier making it easier on the sprag. Curious how others feel.
Let us know how you make out....

·
Registered
353 Posts
There may be a slightly better hot engine effect, yet once it starts slipping like that it's only a matter of a couple days until it stops working altogether. The fuse has been lit......

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
If you do the sprag I would also try to run a check on the starter. You can do this by placing a clamp on amp meter on the cable lead from the starter to the solenoid. It should draw 58-63 amps....if it draws considerably more...like in the 100s, then your starter is done and stressing your electrical system. This is a good possibility if your sprag has been on the fritz for a while. Your starter needs a considerable amount of power to crank the motor....it sounds like it's either not getting enough.....maybe due to all the above. You can at least check the starter first before doing the sprag.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i would change it all now!!!

it could allways go the other way and jam when you start the bike causung the starter to turn at xxxx thousand times per second and wear out in the space of a few seconds! :eek: just replace the lot:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is a CR19778 a part number and where can it be had? Thanks

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Starter clutch aka sprag failures I have seen on 999 is when the inner wire retaining the roller pins breaks. +1 on the other comments, to many other parts in there subject to wear/damage to just replace the sprag itself. There is another needle bearing, flange, starter motor sprocket and some other parts parts your better of replacing while it's apart as once it starts to go all kinds unusual wear can results from strain of that sprag going out. You can find the intermediate and start gears on ebay from low milage engine tear downs, they are sold individually or as a set and come up quite often.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is a CR19778 a part number and where can it be had? Thanks
It's a part number for "Chicago Rawhide" (CR), most bearing supply houses will have one or they can order it. I know for a fact that the spring diameter/dimensions fit perfectly as a replacement on my sprag. As an extra measure of security, I soldered the ends together before I installed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts