Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ST2. Bought it with 19,000 miles on it and now at 26,000. I have spent a lot of time getting the bike up and running. I'm not saying it's a lost cause because the bike is fun, when it's working 100% properly.

Between some frustrations with the bike and wanting a more upright riding position I'm looking at MTS's.

I know I will have a hard time selling my ST at all. On top of that, I'm not sure how great I will feel selling the bike knowing that the rotors are slightly warped, etc.. Am I best to suck it up and just trade it in and take whatever I can get for it? Most likely $2,000-$3,500.

What to do?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Cash for clunkers?

·
Registered
211 Posts
look here...

Welcome to Gotham Cycles

Gotham Cycles carries parts for all the Ducati families but our specialty is in late model Superbikes. We have a huge inventory of parts for the Ducati 916 through 1098. Our loyal customer base includes private enthusiasts, racers, and dealers throughout the world. Although our online store is live, we have only just begun. We will be adding new products and features daily so check back regularly. We have more parts in stock than we can possibly list. If there is an item you need but don’t see on our site, feel free to contact us at [email protected]. If you’re thinking of selling your Ducati, be sure to let us know. We buy Ducatis in any condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think if you are an honest seller and disclose the problems as you have here, there is no reason you cannot sell it as is. I work on bikes myself and something like that would not dissuade me from a purchase.

·
Registered
792 Posts
What color is it? What is the overall condition?

Pictures? Clear title?

An honest seller makes a fair dollar and a satisfied buyer.

...and I might be interested...

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I bought the bike I was a 'stupid' buyer. Didn't have the bike looked over and I was used to buying Honda's, and if they have oil in them they run.... Lesson learned. I think whoever I sell the bike to will actually be getting a solid deal as I've gotten to the bottom of several issues, that were actually fairly minor but a hassle and the money has added up. I'm on the fence about keeping the bike. I have a lot invested into this thing(money, time, etc..) All of which I do not expect to get OUT of the bike on the selling side... Bottom line, I think that after several ST bikes, I would like something more upright. I REALLY like the engine in this bike and am looking at an MTS(anyone want to work a trade?) But I DO NOT want a project bike....

I guess what you all have said, honest seller-can't go too far wrong. I'm thinking that 99.9% of the issues have been solved. However, I believe the bike needs new rotors. Also, I just had the original chip put back in, and I think I'm going to have the after market one put back in. At altitude (6,000 ft) the 3,900 rpm issue there-certainly rideable. At sea level, this bike is amazing...Anyway. The original chip is causing some hiccups. I guess this stuff is pretty typical though-especially on a bike from 1998.

I have installed the following since I bought the bike and have now put on 6,000 miles in the past couple of months.

1. yoyodyne clutch slave.
2. SS brake lines front and rear
3. RoadSmart tires (about 2,500 miles on them)
4. Sargent seat
5. New front and back brake pads
6. New belts and valves checked upon purchase and last week at 6,000 miles(belts checked too).
7. Starter rebuilt
8. New chain
9. DD headlight
10. DD footpegs.

As you can tell from what I've done, I had in mind keeping this bike for a while. Some of the images/links below are with the Corbin seat that has been sold and before the DD part installed. The bike is pretty clean. The usual little scratches here and there on the body and bags. No cracked plastic, except for under the rear view mirrors(common it seems on these).

http://www.courtlevephoto.com/galleries/motoride/

·
comrade moderator
27,050 Posts
So, essentially what you have here is a classified ad, which is a no no in the general forums.

Why don't you go ahead and make an ad for the bike and start the process of selling it through the normal channels while I pull this one.

Cool?

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's a nice looking bike , and you already have some nice bits on it .
Just replace the rotors and ride it .
BTW I have some stockers off my ST2 , pm me if you want to set some thing up .

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, the bike is not for sale. Didn't mean to break the rules in any way. People asked about the condition of the bike, etc, so I posted. No problem by me if you move the thread.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Seems to be a parts company.
It is. Gotham Cycles happens to be in my city. They go around the world buying all sorts of Ducatis that had been wrecked or whatever, and part them out. They have a big warehouse here full of parts they ship from.

I'd at least call Mike and see what he'd give you for it.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If you have your heart set on selling it or getting rid of it I would not sell it to Gotham.....not a slight on them as I have not done any business with them so I can't give an opinion one way or the other but you would be better off with an outright sale or parting it out yourself if you want maximum $$$$. You could get more then $3K parting it out yourself. Hell the DD parts would fetch well over $500 themselves.

Thats a sweet looking ride and I agree with another post, slap some rotors on it and ride it. Also remember the new multi replacement is going to debut in November, might want to see what thats going to look like. I know I am curious.

I think you could still get $4K-$5K on outright sale with all your extra's otherwise pull the spendy bits off and sell those and let her go for less. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
why, so you can crash it too????? :abduct:
Greg that's cold. But sort of funny too.

To the OP, you've done the right things so far to put together a nice ride. Get some rotors off ebay for a couple hundred bucks and ride the snot out of it. For what you might lose you might be able to get a decent used monster. And think how much smarter you'll be this time around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts