Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found out why my throttle so sensitive, previous owner changed sprockets to 14. He also upgraded the clutch and brake levers to CRG adjustable. But does anyone know a way to make less sensitive or to increase the travel? Right now you barely have to close it before the bike lunges fwd. Love good brakes, but dam I don't want to fly over the handle bars.
Thx

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I don't think it's the lever, I think the brakes are just very abrupt.
Maybe a less aggressive pad would make it better. I know the Carbone Lorraine are supposed to be less aggressive, but finding them is a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
Maybe go to an organic pad? If it has that much bite, I bet you have a set of Sintered HH pads. I hate them on the ST, too much initial bite. You'll get lots of opinions, but I am using Ferodo Platinum right now and love them. Controlled initial bite, and good feel without fading.

Hard to determine what someone feels is too much (or not enough) lever travel, but if your brakes are bled and everything is tight, there really shouldn’t be much.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
Good point. It's a pretty common mistake to have someone adjust that screw in too far on the big pivot (916 style) masters. Shown in the nice pictorial are the 996 style small pivot masters. They don’t have the dreaded adjustment screw of the 916 masters that come on the older (03 and below) STs. There is a big recessed screw in the lever mount on the same axis as the plunger. If that screw is in too far, it will prevent the plunger from extending all the way, and past that port, when the lever is released. Maybe take a turn or two, or three to the left on that screw and see what happens.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Realise you have sorted the overly agressive brake pressure issue but wondered if the bike was new to you recently ?
Not trying to be patronising here but it can take a while to learn the best technique for closing the throttle (before needing any brakes) is to initially go 'off-throttle' before then fully closing.

This can minimise the lurch you may also be receiving from engine braking coming on abrubtly when slowing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
progressive throttle might help

You should consider changing to a progressive throttle tube.

What this does is to reduce the rate of the throttle action during the initial 1/8th turn off idle to make it more progressive and less abrupt. I modified my throttle tube by carving out material from under where the cable rests to reduce the distance between the cable end and the center of the tube. Sorry i don't have pictures.

This helps ease launching from a stop as well as the roll off from high rpm.

Worked on my trials bike too. Much easier to control at low throttle settings.

·
Mr Leakered
8,781 Posts
Adjusted the recessed screw, problem solved!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Whoa. That is excellent. You got pretty lucky there. Some folks experienced locked front wheels at speed due to this situation.

Always look for a squirt of fluid in the reservoirs with the first little bit of lever motion (brakes and clutch). This indicates that the return hole is not blocked.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dr. Desmo's CNC billet throttle tamer is much better than Dr. DIY's version.:D

I like the faster rate beginning at half throttle with less total rotation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts