Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2015 1200 S and after 24,250 miles my check engine light is now on. No other symptoms. Is there any way to get the ECU error codes without going to a dealer?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
When was your last visit to a dealer? There's quite a few software updates for the DVT (I have one), and they could update and troubleshoot at the same time. Well worth the $80-100

You can disconnect your battery for 10 minutes and see if the code will clear itself, but I don't know how you would access the ECU without dealer software.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In order to read OBD2 compliant error codes, you'll need a quality OBD2 scanner that understands the entire standard (some of them are crippled for various reasons), and an OBD2 - FIAT adapter cable. Not sure where you buy those individually, I got mine from Tuneboy years ago. You can always make your own, too.

Once you've got the hardware sorted out, the next issue is that not every error code Ducati uses, is OBD2 compliant. So if you plug in the scanner, can see engine temp/RPM/etc but no codes, it's probably a Ducati proprietary code and it's going to require a Texa diagnostic computer to read it.

Regardless of the code being OBD2 or not, you won't be able to clear it without a DDS/Texa system. It was sort-of possible on the Mitsubishi ECU bikes to clear codes without a dealer computer, but AFAIK no one has cracked the Bosch ECUs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the replies. I did try disconnecting the battery but the light came back on. I bought the bike with 2500 miles on it in 2016 and it has not been to a dealer since. I do have a Fiat OBDII cable (I also have a 2013 Abarth) but that plugs into an OBDII female connector. Is there some sort of adapter for the Ducati connector under the seat? I was just about to replace timing belts and check the valves. I think I'll go forward with that then take it to the dealer for the software update and engine light.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there is a FIAT 4-pin connector under the seat tray to hook up to a diagnostic computer.
Yes I have seen that connector under the seat and thought it was Ducati specific. The Fiat cable that I have is OBDII and is used with multiscantool software. I didn't know there is a 4 pin Fiat cable.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think that software is for pre-DVT bikes?
Yes. That's a possibility.
But (A) you need the hardware cable interface first.
(B) The software (Melcodiag) in this case worked on both my 2016 Panigale and Monster.
I haven't tried it on my 2018 Multi yet as it's currently winterized.
Regardless, (C) You'll still need (A).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes. That's a possibility.
But (A) you need the hardware cable interface first.
(B) The software (Melcodiag) in this case worked on my on both 2016 Panigale and Monster.
I haven't tried it on my 2018 Multi yet as it's currently winterized.
Regardless, (C) You'll still need (A).
Maybe there's been an update since I tried, but i already had the reader and adapter from another project. I hooked it up to my DVT and got nothing but garbage. as was later pointed out to me that the name Melcodiag refers to the Mitsubishi Electric ECU, something the DVT doesn’t have.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Maybe there's been an update since I tried, but i already had the reader and adapter from another project. I hooked it up to my DVT and got nothing but garbage. as was later pointed out to me that the name Melcodiag refers to the Mitsubishi Electric ECU, something the DVT doesn’t have.
The Multi DVT's ECU is a Bosch MED 17. I suppose it's a question of time before the JPDiag of this world gets a piece of software running for it. According to his forum, jpl250rs (administrator) is working on it but no timetable is available. Notwithstanding, you'll need cables to speak to the ECU.
Here's something to read for those of you that are above my pay grade:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would hazard that coming up on 5 years since switching from Mitsubishi ECU with no aftermarket support for the Bosch ECU (tuneboy or similar)/OBD code translation would suggest we're not likely to see any.

I was looking for a software solution to reset oil change/service minders similar to Motoscan on my BMW S1000R, thus far I haven't found anything promising.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Too bad all our bikes don't come equipped with one of these:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had two episodes with the check engine light on my 2016 DVT. The first time the O2 sensor needed to be replaced, but I was still able to ride the bike. The second time the light came on I thought it was just a repeat of the O2 sensor failure, and based on that experience, I continued to ride the bike. Until I couldn't start it anymore. This time the ECU unit needed to be replaced.

To the OP, I suggest taking your bike to a dealer. I doubt it's a matter of just clearing an error code. You will likely need to replace some part(s), and I'm sure, update your ECU and firmware.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts