Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

The fins on the engine of one my bikes are kinda dingy and brown. I have tried super cleaner, griots engine cleaner, etc. Nothing seems to get it all off.

thoughts?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to try this. Scroll down to the before and after pictures of the carbs. It was mentioned in a previous thread on the forum: soda blaster.
Except that the engine is painted, not bare or anodized alum. I would try some simple green, or a very mild degreasing agent (DP engine cleaner - not Ducati Perf.) that is safe on painted parts. I would also see if a soft toothbrush with just water would take it off.

Here's a detailing article too.

http://www.autogeek.net/prende.html

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I've always found Gunk Engine Degreaser to be the the stongest stuff I could find that didn't eat paint. The liquid, not the spray.

Smells terrible, works great.

If that doesn't work, then you probably can't get it off the paint without some gentle abrasive like polishing compound, and I can't imagine how you would do that on all the fins.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I use Pig Spit from the Harley place, the Harley guys know about getting bike to LOOK good

·
Banned
210 Posts
Just get a paintbrush, some degreaser and some elbow grease , let it sit a hour or so then hose off.

Hey presto :) If that dont work , get your missus do do it , because women are better at cleaning if you cant cope with it .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey presto :) If that dont work , get your missus do do it , because women are better at cleaning if you cant cope with it .[/QUOTE]

Question: Why do Women have small feet?????

Answer: So they can get closer to the sink...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I don't think its coming off. Not without repainting or coating. If you lived in canada, ducati would pay to have it done.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
The stain won't come off unless you take the paint off. I've tried everything. Detailing cars is a passion of mine. I think I have every cleaning agent known to man. Nothing that I have works.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
This is a paint problem that is not exclusive to the SC lineup. It is happening to my PS and also happened with my Monster. The reason being, because of emissions standards, the stock engines are set up to run lean, which in turn makes them run just a bit hotter than the paint can withstand. DNA came through for me on the Monster so well that I hate to ask them to do it again for my Paul Smart. The best way to avoid this is to change from the stock ECU as soon as you can so that it can be mapped to run at optimum.
When the day comes for me to drop the engine out of the frame for the first time, I will have the engine disassembled and bead blasted back to natural aluminum (truely retro look).
In the meantime, I just use a little scotchbright to scrub away some of the discoloration. This also removes the particles that attach themselves to the paint while the engine is hot. I thought this was sand moulde "burn in" in the casting process at first, but on closer inspection I was able to determine that it was foreign junk (not Italian junk). Granted, the Scotchbright is abrasive and somewhat dulls the finish, but this is okay for me as it does look more retro...nearer to bare aluminum. In the long run, I am going for the totally "de-blinged" look, eliminating all chrome and going for the natural aluminum finish. Right now, I have clutch covers, timing belt covers, front sprocket covers and other bits removed to strip anodizing and coatings back to bare aluminum. Soda blasting probably isn't enough without a lot of effort. I looked at the difference between this method of abrasive blasting alongside glass bead, plastic bead, steel shot and walnut shell to determine what would be the beast media for removal of coatings. I finally turned it over to a professional. Another thing to keep in mind is that no matter what media you decide to go with, you will still want to take the engine apart to do this as you will not want any media to enter the inner workings of the engine. And yet one more concern. There is a reason engines are painted. metal castings always have pits and porosity, unless vacuum/counter gravity metal casting processes are used (I know this from 20 years of working in sculpture foundries). These can be closed up with a TIG and the metal refinished or silver solder, but this is a long and painful process and is mostly cosmetic. The economical way around this is paint. So if you do compleatly strip the paint, these imperfections in the surface of the casting will show up.
Ducati is aware that this happens, so you might discuss this with them to see what they would be willing to do to make it right. They did right by me one time, to a degree that I don't want to ask them again. Approach them while still under warranty (and leave your stock exhaust in place if it hasn't been replaced yet until after a determination has been made).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The reason being, because of emissions standards, the stock engines are set up to run lean, which in turn makes them run just a bit hotter than the paint can withstand. . . . The best way to avoid this is to change from the stock ECU as soon as you can so that it can be mapped to run at optimum.
This certainly makes sense. I live in a cold climate and only put 500 miles on before getting the Termi kit, and I had no trouble with the paint changing color.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Warranty Issue

My Ducati dealership in MA said that the discoloration on the heads was a warranty issue. They got a warranty claim from Ducati, so this winter they are taking the heads off and sending them back to the factory to be stripped down and re-coated. They said they should look brand new!

-B

·
Registered
555 Posts
why clean off "character"? I like a motor that looks like it's been abused....:D

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
You sound like a BMW owner, no offense if your not but you act like one :confused:
Actually a BMW GS owner prides himself/herself with a dirty bike. Dirt shows that you have been riding. :D

Back to the subject at hand - the brown spots on my PS came from gasoline dripping from the overflow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You sound like a BMW owner, no offense if your not but you act like one :confused:
I don't know who that was directed at, or what it means really. To each his own. I like to take care of my bikes and have a "showroom" clean bike. That doesn't mean you have to do the same. Please stay on topic.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yeah, looking up the string, I wasn't sure who he was talking to either.

As a BMW owner myself, I can assure you that, in general, BMW's are dirtier than Ducatis. MUCH dirtier. As Geo points out, it's especially true for GS's, but the rest also get and stay a lot dirtier than most Ducatis do. Averaging about 5 times as many miles per year probably has something to do with that. The only bikes I see that, on average, are kept as perfect and showroom looking as Ducs are Harleys. Probably has something to do with how often I see Harleys and Ducs in the rain....

I parted out a worn out K1100RS a couple years ago. It was pretty dirty throughout. It had been an Iron Butt bike for quite a few years. What does it take to "wear out" a BMW? Well, this one was still running, on the original block, no valve job: 280,000 miles. That can collect a bit of filth. :p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
...Well, this one was still running, on the original block, no valve job: 280,000 miles. That can collect a bit of filth. :p
I hope to put that many miles on my PS. It's heads have become so caked with baked on muk, I doubt it'll ever come off... Oh well, in a way, it adds character and comes with the turf when I ride in the rain as much as I do... I'm at 35K miles. I have a long way to go to match what you did with you K bike and I'm really looking forward to racking up those miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ride all my bikes, but I actually enjoy spending my evenings cleaning/detailing them. I take pride in entering bikes with 20k miles into bike shows....

Anyways, sounds like I am fubar without pulling the engine and repainting it, which I have no reason to do really. tis fine.

thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts