Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sbmotohead said:
However, the search function doesn't allow searches for specific models (too few characters) so it's not an effective way to filter results.
Here is a way to do a three letter search.

Using Google to search ducati.ms helps the site by reducing its server load. It also allows for three character searches. Till now the way to do it was to use "site:www.ducati.ms (enter search term)" in a Google search. For example, here's a ducati.ms Google search for the term "oil".

Cool thing is that the latest Google Toolbar makes site searching really easy, with a new button dedicated to searching only the site that's currently loaded. Just enter a search term and click. Go here to d/l the latest version...

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/?promo=mor-tb-en

·
Registered
104 Posts
RickD said:
Here is a way to do a three letter search.

Using Google to search ducati.ms helps the site by reducing its server load. It also allows for three character searches. Till now the way to do it was to use "site:www.ducati.ms (enter search term)" in a Google search. For example, here's a ducati.ms Google search for the term "oil".

Cool thing is that the latest Google Toolbar makes site searching really easy, with a new button dedicated to searching only the site that's currently loaded. Just enter a search term and click. Go here to d/l the latest version...

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/?promo=mor-tb-en
Is there a way to lower the acceptable search phrase minimum? I've asked this before (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=9178) and there wasn't a response. I assumed it wasn't possible.

Aha! I found this : use the "*" as in 851* and you can do psuedo 3 char searches. vBulletin puts the minimum at 4+ characters.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
scott said:
I really apologize for not responding before, that's not like me. One of our moderators (RagazzaDGatta) knows of a way to make the search engine do three letter or number searches and I am going to see if we can do the hack to make it work.
Just add an asterisk after the three-letter word or number. Examples:
996*
oil*

Works like a charm. :)

·
=^o.o^=
380 Posts
cotton_duc said:
Just add an asterisk after the three-letter word or number. Examples:
996*
oil*

Works like a charm. :)
Cotton_Duc is right, but it will actually search for anything that has the chars "996" or "oil" in it. So it will also find posts that have "oily" or "oils" or "996r". Not a big deal unless the word you search for is a really popular prefix. Anyway, I know of a way to fix it I think. And don't think I forgot about your request MotoHead. I've been asking about it and looking into it for you :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
RagazzaDGatta said:
Cotton_Duc is right, but it will actually search for anything that has the chars "996" or "oil" in it. So it will also find posts that have "oily" or "oils" or "996r". Not a big deal unless the word you search for is a really popular prefix. Anyway, I know of a way to fix it I think. And don't think I forgot about your request MotoHead. I've been asking about it and looking into it for you :)
Better late than never Ragazza! I know you didn't forget, and I know you know how to fix it too. I've always thought it would be beneficial, as all filters are, when you absolutely want to remove the chaff from the answers. Much appreciated if it works out. (and I miss ya in the mirror)

·
Registered
2 Posts
newbie: search not working

I'm having trouble with the search. I put in "748" or "748*" and neither brings anything up. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
site:ducati.ms 748

Put that into google.
Enjoy.

Forum searches are so hokey.
You can substitute the"748" for whatever you like.
Keep in mind, Google's results aren't immediate.

·
Administrator
11,885 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts