Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So looks like i will have to return to UK this year, and riding the Ducati home is not really an option, so i am going to leave it here with a mate, although i trust them, and i obviously have to leave the keys here in case they need to move it, i wonder is there a simple way to make sure they cant take it out for a ride? yeah I can take the battery out/spark plugs etc etc, but is there a simple way to ensure it wont start (something they wont be able to figure out)

Thank in advance :)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Hey guys,

So looks like i will have to return to UK this year, and riding the Ducati home is not really an option, so i am going to leave it here with a mate, although i trust them, and i obviously have to leave the keys here in case they need to move it, i wonder is there a simple way to make sure they cant take it out for a ride? yeah I can take the battery out/spark plugs etc etc, but is there a simple way to ensure it wont start (something they wont be able to figure out)

Thank in advance :)
You want to leave the key so they can move it but you want to disable it so they can't ride (move) it. Seems like mutually exclusive goals to me. What am I missing?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it would be rude to say "Please store my bike for 6 months but i wont leave you they key as I think you will ride it" plus it has an alarm which i want to enable before i go, but we get a lot of winter storms (Thunder) which sets the alarm off sometimes, so apart from removing fuses and the like, i just wondered if there is a simple trick :) as this guy knows his way round bikes lol

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
336 Posts
Remove the spark plug wires.
Pull the fuses.
Unplug the ECU.
Disconnect the starter motor ground.
Put a plug in the fuel line.
Disconnect the throttle cable.

That should do for a start.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Yep, any one of the above will ensure no riding, I liked the remove ECU myself...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All sound advice lol, but is there really not one simple fix????

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Taking the ECU is pretty guaranteed as they are difficult to find in many places, let alone where you live.

Even legit owners like us have difficulty finding them.

Simple to do.

Seat off, tank up, battery out, unplug ECU, undo 4 bolts, remove ECU, battery back, tank down and replace seat.

Richard

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Sorry I still don't get it. It would be rude to ask him not to ride it but you want to disable it so he can't ride it and you think he won't see that as rude? So you're trying to fool him? Why not just ask him not to let anyone ride it? If you were storing it with me I wouldn't have a problem with that.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I am unsubscribing to this thread.

I have given a tech solution and equally valid Bruce19 has given a "social" solution.

I have mates bikes in my shed at times and would never think of riding them.

Equally if I needed to I could leave my bike in mates sheds and say ride it, but I know they would not.

Maybe just me but I have a thing about not riding other people's personal bikes.

The bikes I get to ride for mags - that is a different story - they need to be ridden.

Au revoir to this thread.

·
Registered
336 Posts
All sound advice lol, but is there really not one simple fix????
Go to your local marine supply store. Buy a liter of polyester resin. Remove spark plugs. Add catalyst to resin. Insert funnel in spark plug hole. Fill cylinder with resin. Replace spark plug. Repeat for other cylinder. Wait one hour. Voila! Bike is immobilized.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts
Now I realize that different countries and cultures have different customs and such. And we must stay openminded, but here in Texas if a friend asked me to store his bike for 6 months and then tooks parts out of it to make sure I didn't ride it, well first I'd tell him to take is damn bike and stuff it up his exhaust pipe. Then I'd offer him a beer to drink while he called other friends to see if they would store his bike for him. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ECU removal seems the way to go, cheers for that guys, and as for other comments regarding not riding a mates bike that your looking after, you obviously never met a Greek guy who's only rise is a 200cc Scooter, and drools over my Ducati everytime we meet, begging me to let him take it for a spin! I think the temptation would be just to much for him lol.

Cheers again guys.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Jesus, you guys are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Remove ECU.
Tell friend ECU is removed so you can send it in for service.
Keep ECU at your house.
When you return, bring ECU that was "mailed" back to your house after "service."
Keep friend.

Or, as an even simpler solution, either A) don't be a worry wart, or B) find less unscrupulous friends.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Jesus, you guys are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Remove ECU.
Tell friend ECU is removed so you can send it in for service.
Keep ECU at your house.
When you return, bring ECU that was "mailed" back to your house after "service."
Keep friend.

Or, as an even simpler solution, either A) don't be a worry wart, or B) find less unscrupulous friends.
Best answer yet!

·
Registered
241 Posts
as for other comments regarding not riding a mates bike that your looking after, you obviously never met a Greek guy who's only rise is a 200cc Scooter, and drools over my Ducati everytime we meet, begging me to let him take it for a spin! I think the temptation would be just to much for him lol.
Don't forget you're in a public forum.

Google search

You might discover that your so called "friend" (especially if he's Greek) can outclass Steven Spielberg's imagination when it comes to fitting "drooled" Ducatis in places where the sun doesn't shine. :rolleyes:

Unsubscribed, also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bloody hell, i try not to to offend one guy, and end up offending a stranger simply due to the mere mention of my mate being Greek? did it occur to anyone that my fear might not only be the bike, but a 22 Year kid who only knows how to ride scooters, might actually end up getting hurt? too many kids end up in the hospital here every week!!

Going from a 200cc scooter to a 1000cc motorbike, not a great idea i think we can all agree!

Anyway enough, ECU out for service it is lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you trust this person to abide by your wishes, discuss this matter with him, and make him aware you'd prefer the bike be unridden in your absence. If he takes offense, or you don't trust him to carry out your wishes in these regards, then find another place/method to store the vehicle.

Alan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Easy fix - since the bike has an immobilizer already fitted get a key made out of a blank and don't get it coded. The key will fit and unlock the bike but it just won't turn over....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Easy fix - since the bike has an immobilizer already fitted get a key made out of a blank and don't get it coded. The key will fit and unlock the bike but it just won't turn over....

That is a de Bono solution. Great thinking outside the square, best answer.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

1 - 19 of 19 Posts