Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

To clean up damage om our bikes we can do a lot... On the paint part. But is the anyway of clean up the black plastic parts of let's say mirror stems, cases.. and other parts.

Anyone know for sure what material it is? I assume ABS but am not sure. Also anyone ever tried sandblasting it? It would look different but doesn't mean it would look bad. But could.

I would try on my old St4 cases if I had a sandblaster, but I don't. :(

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Don’t sand blast it ! Too soft . The sand will eat them and leave them very rough. I’ve sanded and painted plastic parts, spraying them with adhesion promoter first.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that is indeed an option. but honestly not something i was thinking off, want to restore the new plastic idea..

oke, sandblasting is not a good idea, but maybe blast is with something less hard / aggressive more fitting for the plastic

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Ok , sounds good. Let us know how that works out. Always great to have someone else experiment with their own stuff.

Reactions: spikey1973

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Please remove the term "blast" from your thoughts. Think more about using rubbing or polishing compounds followed by a quality wax application instead. You will want to use clean cloths with each pass and then discard them. It will take patience and a gentle approach. Consider going to your local automotive retailer and asking them what guys with high end cars use to polish their cars.

You may also want to visit Meguiar's web site to learn about their paint preservation and protection products.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Meguiar's. Just want to help the OP. If you require actual repaint work then consider consulting a local auto body paint shop.

Take your time, do the research, and good luck!

Meguiar's : Car Care Products

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think the OP is trying to replicate the original pattern on some plastic parts such as the mirror stalks. I have wondered if bead blasting using glass beads or crushed walnut shells, perhaps at lower pressure would give the desired look.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hey guys..

To clean up damage om our bikes we can do a lot... On the paint part. But is the anyway of clean up the black plastic parts of let's say mirror stems, cases.. and other parts.

Anyone know for sure what material it is? I assume ABS but am not sure. Also anyone ever tried sandblasting it? It would look different but doesn't mean it would look bad. But could.

I would try on my old St4 cases if I had a sandblaster, but I don't. :(

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk
W/O a picture of what you are trying to replicate I can only guess but owning an older
BMW that plastic parts are no longer available for I have to weld and repair and then
replicate the texture on plastic parts. This is how I repair the texture on plastic parts.
This video is on a bumper repair but the same product is used on interior parts dash pads
and all interior parts as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=220&v=_8xRBMhPMZk

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ hypermo: not exactly what i'm looking for.. but Definately something to keep in mind! thanks for your post!

@ bloodycrashboy: true it does.. but unfortunately some parts are really scratched (read grooves in there, and i was thinking of sanding it , but then you loose texture, hypermo's option would solve this.. but seems expensive and also as a european i would need to do a big search on where to find those materials and i would probably be very expensive here)

@ Turbomart:L indeed thanks for the clarification :D

@ duc96cr: i will try it with a simple DIY setup, but it might take a while. i will come back on it..!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I started a thread a while ago on restoring plastics and got some of the same great responses plus a few more. I'll try to see if I can find the thread. The pictures, I'm sure, got lost to the Photobucket Black Hole.

One trick I saw was to use regular sanding paper. Like any project, work course to fine. THEN, take a blow torch or heat gun to the sanded surface. WATCH YOUR HEAT - WATCH YOUR DISTANCE!!! The point of the heat is to melt off the little tiny wisps of plastic that will be all over your sanded surface. Too close or too hot and you'll melt/deform the piece you're trying to restore.

-----------------------------------
Found it.
www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/552473-refurbishing-panier-plastic.html

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow.. this sounds very interesting.

i'm very interested in that thread..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts