Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help replacing the ECU on my 04 ST3.
Pipes are here. Airbox lid and filter on the way. Thought i would order an ECU from Desmo-Porche.
As this is my first Duc, I would appreciate any help on the ECU swap. First order.......Location. I'm guessing under the tank.......
Any pics, links or advice appreciated!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Your guess is incorrect. You lose. :D It's next to the battery on the right hand side. Has two big cables going to it. I would disconnect the battery before messing with it. Haven't touched mine so I can't help at all with the replacement procedure.

If you're only replacing the pipes and air box you should be able to re-tune the fuel and air mixtures with the stock ECU on the 2004 and 2005 ST3. We don't have the O2 sensor getting in the way of tuning like the 2006+ ST3.

Bill Wagner.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill!
So remove the RH fairing? i looked up battery in my OM and it had a drawing that looked like maybe an ecu on the LH side of the battery.
Are the fairings difficult to remove?
I considered riching the fuel pot on the stock ecu, but my VIN is in the ECU replacement recall and i dont know if it has been replaced. (doubtful)
Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order. wonder if they will still replace that ECU if it is the original one? (also doubtful.....esp for free)
will pull fairing this week and take a peek. THANKS!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have a 04 ST3 and added slipons and air cleaner w/o the ecu. Ran fine but would pop on decel. Mine had the recall done so I don't think that will help. I added a TFI unit that got rid on the pop but I think the tuned ecu is the ticket. A dealer can tell you if the recall has been done by your VIN.

To get to the ecu you have to remove the bottom and middle right side fairings. Not difficult but can be a little trying the first time especially putting them back on. You can remove the two together or separately. Probabaly easier to do it separately the first time. The ecu is mounted just to the left of the battery on the same tray. Remove the battery first. Ecu has two big cables connected to it. There is a lock that you need to flip open to release them. It's pretty obvious when you look at it. The ecu is mounted with a couple of bolts as I recall. Install new ecu. Plug in and reverse procedure.

Good luck. If you plan on doing much of your own work invest in LT Snider's manual and factory manual.

Jeff

04 ST3

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff,

Thanks for the input. My OM describes removing fairings pretty much starting at the top and going down......will give it a try.
E-mailed Bobby at Desmo-Porche. He will reflash an ecu with either stock (last recall.....same as 05) or DP map. He recommended stock . will call him tomorrow and order one. the question is .........which one? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
654 Posts
The ECU is held in by two clips, one at either end. Each will pivot out of the way then the ecu can be pulled out. It just plugs in. Then once you have replaced the ECU then make sure you secure the clips on either end to ensure it remains in place.
Took me some serious head scratching to figure it out.
Best not to run an open airbox and cans without replacing the ECU. It will run way lean if you do.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
More properly, you can run a bike with the 5.9 or 5.A ECU with the stock part on an open-loop (pre '06) system, but need the VDST software to enrich the fuel mixture a bit. Post '06 you need to disable open-loop fueling at the ECU.

You will, however, still have some dropouts and roughness below 3000K rpm.

Desmo-Porsche looks to be the savior in this department so far.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please ......what is the difference between the 5.9 and the 5.A ECU.

Please forgive my LOK...... i know the latest ECU update for the 04-05 was 28641001L. (stock) Bobby has this map @ Des-P.
Is 5.A the Ducati Performance map? Which do you prefer?
Thanks

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Please ......what is the difference between the 5.9 and the 5.A ECU.

Please forgive my LOK...... i know the latest ECU update for the 04-05 was 28641001L. (stock) Bobby has this map @ Des-P.
Is 5.A the Ducati Performance map? Which do you prefer?
Thanks
Modern Ducati's (last decade or so) have used 4 different computers. Three by Marelli Magneti, and most recently, one by Siemens on the M696.

The three different Marelli generations are designated by 1.6M, 5.9M and 5.AM. The 1.6M computers were used on 916-996 (748), Supersports, Monsters and ST's until 2003 (except in the case of the 2001-02 ST4s, and 998 which used the 5.9M). From 2003 to 2006 they used the 5.9M and from 2006 a mix of 5.9 and 5.A series parts.

The 1.6M is a rather large metallic gray box, and the FI mapping is stored on a removable EPROM chip. The 5.9 and 5.A series look identical, but use different programming.

The generation of computer has nothing to do with the numbering of the maps, except that certain maps will only run on certain generations of ECU's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SE84:

I've seen varing opinions of the Ducati Performance maps on this site. You seem well read and informed.......thoughts?
the cost from Des-Por the same. $400 for either stock or DP map. Doing Leo's and DP airbox with KN filter.
Much appreciated!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
SE84:

I've seen varing opinions of the Ducati Performance maps on this site. You seem well read and informed.......thoughts?
the cost from Des-Por the same. $400 for either stock or DP map. Doing Leo's and DP airbox with KN filter.
Much appreciated!
I have no idea what Desmo Porsche has, maybe Guido can answer some Q's. But, in general, it's probably best to get the DP map for anything that modifies the airbox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts