Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Has anyone removed the sidestand and by-passed the safety cut-out; the one that kills the engine when you shift into gear with the stand down.

Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I disabled the sensor but kept the stand. expose the 3 wires, attach one to the other until you get the right results. Only one combination will work. I tried all combinations with no ill effects- blown fuses etc. So far i have 4800 miles and no problems

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Folks,

Has anyone removed the sidestand and by-passed the safety cut-out; the one that kills the engine when you shift into gear with the stand down.

Thanks.
I took mine off a while back, its super easy, I unbolted the switch from the back of the kickstand pivot, then traced the wires to a plug, from the bike's wire loom there are just 2 wires that connect to the kickstand plug, connect these two together, and your good to go. (I don't need a switch to tell me I'm a Idiot, if I fall on my own kickstand, I AM an Idiot! :rolleyes: Aloha Alex

·
Registered
513 Posts
Picture the scenario.

Chatting with friends, having a laugh together and eventually it is time to go. We jump on our bikes and as a mate roars off I am overcome by a tremendous sinking feeling in the stomach.

The reason?

He has disabled his sidestand switch and forgotten to raise the stand. No amount of yelling can warn him as he is thoroughly engrossed in that responsive roar from his aftermarket pipes.

I watch and wait fearing the worst. The stand eventually catches after he has built up considerable speed and results in a spectacular tumble between busy traffic.

Luckily it was only a broken collarbone and arm, but hey, at least he didn't have to worry about that annoying sidestand switch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I disabled the sensor but kept the stand. expose the 3 wires, attach one to the other until you get the right results. Only one combination will work. I tried all combinations with no ill effects- blown fuses etc. So far i have 4800 miles and no problems
Why would you want to disable it??? I've experienced a left hand bend with the stand down and lived to tell the tale but wouldn't want to do it again

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah, why

would you take the safety cage off a power press?

would you take off the anti shock button on an electric lawn mower?

would you tell your wife your mother in law is duck ugly? like ,,,,,,,

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree 100%. I remove it for track days and I install a shunt that I devised specifically for that purpose. But on the street, The interlock is there. I've been a witness to the effects of down side stands while riding - it ain't pretty...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I thought i might get some wtf responses without further explanition.

I lowsided in a parking lot and it busted off the sensor from the kickstand, leaving me stranded. I did not want to find out what a new one would cost so i "fixed" it. Now i triple check the stand before the first left of every ride.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought i might get some wtf responses without further explanition.

I lowsided in a parking lot and it busted off the sensor from the kickstand, leaving me stranded. I did not want to find out what a new one would cost so i "fixed" it. Now i triple check the stand before the first left of every ride.

seriously, take the hit get it replaced the cost of an accident and injury is just not worth it, also if you have bypassed it, and god forbid you had an accident, the insurance company could use that to get out of paying, track work, different story

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Why would you want to disable it??? I've experienced a left hand bend with the stand down and lived to tell the tale but wouldn't want to do it again
Main reason that I removed mine (other than the fact I don't like it) was that I was getting a ignition miss at high RPM's sometimes, it was like someone hitting the kill switch for a split second, it doesn't happen all the time, only intermittently, and removing the switch seems to have cured it. My dealer was the one that actually recommend the switch removal, as it has caused some problems on other bikes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
source for electrical connectors

Thanks for the posts ... did not really want to spark off a safety cut-outs discussion ;) I am going to the track tomorrow so when I was installing the rearsets it made sense to do away with the sidestand as it seemed the last thing left hanging low.

I was looking for a solution that did not tamper with the original loom or connectors. In the end I just tie-wrapped the twisting sensor so it won't move on me. Someone posted about a shunt they made ... where can I source electrical connectors like the ones used on the HM? That way it is nice and easy and I can return the bike to super stock when needed :)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Thanks for the posts ... did not really want to spark off a safety cut-outs discussion ;) I am going to the track tomorrow so when I was installing the rearsets it made sense to do away with the sidestand as it seemed the last thing left hanging low.

I was looking for a solution that did not tamper with the original loom or connectors. In the end I just tie-wrapped the twisting sensor so it won't move on me. Someone posted about a shunt they made ... where can I source electrical connectors like the ones used on the HM? That way it is nice and easy and I can return the bike to super stock when needed :)
I saw a cut-off plug that fits our loom, with NO cutting, it had jumper built in it, I think I saw it from the same company that makes the TPO's. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why?

Back in olden times (pre-2001?) when the sidestand cutout worked in neutral, it was a pain. Now, isn't it fairly useful? The sidestand cuts the engine when I get off the bike, it's a second message that the sidestand is actually deployed.

Stunting? Doing the Chris Pfeiffer get-off?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I picked up an enduro bike cheap once, the owner said it had this miss-fire, it only seemed to happen off road, took a chance and "Yes" it was the side stand moving over rough ground,tripping the switch !
took the switch off the dirt bike, the HM..... No chance.....been there.... done that !..... the sound of the stand digging in, the sudden shock as the rear wheel steps out of line about a foot off the ground..... Noooooo thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
So as not to "ruin" the existing equipment, I use a Scotch connector on my race bikes. I cut out the short end and run both wires through. Clean and removable.

They are usually blue, but here is a pic of tan:
http://www.etrailer.com/p-564.htm

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
One of the wifeys co-worker stopped by for a visit on his Hog ,This guy had one eye and pulled his own teeth ,running shoes full of holes and short laces ,wife beater tee shirt, jeans full of holes .He left our place with the kickstand flopping. We screamed as loud as we could to no avail .Don't know what happened or how far he got

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
On another note it is a saftey device like: having to apply the brake before shifting out of park , Effen door chimes to tell you the door is open like you can't tell ,DING DING you left your lights on...DING DING you left your keys in the ignition...DING DING DING you didn"t fasten your seat belt before starting your car.. Along with daytime running lights....All needed to make the Womans driving experience more Safer.. It doesn't add that much more to the cost of buying a new vehicle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts