Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is easy but often overlooked - to build a clutch holder tool all you need is a scrap plain plate and a scrap friction plate. Drill three symmetrical holes through each plate so they sit on top of each other, then use some short nuts and bolts to secure the two plates together. Line up the tangs with the basket and hub by rotating the empty basket until you can slide the assembly in. Done, and costs you nothing except some old clutch plates.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is my effort, i didn't think to put a friction plate on it for the basket :eek:
I will simply bolt on an old friction plate when the need arises.
The handle is 20cm-8 inches long, sits on or under the footrest, i tack welded the plates together in 4 spots.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
All roads lead to ducati.ms

I did a Google search for "clutch holder tool" because it was time to buy one, finally, after using less than perfect methods to hold while I tightened.
Google search led me to this thread! I should have started here.

Anyway, as others said, excellent idea! I love to save money/ hate to overpay for limited/ single use tools.

I built mine using 2 plates each to spread the stress out a little wider in the hub and basket. Of course, getting them perfectly lined up before drilling is key to success or it won't fit in there. I dabbed each plate with a little epoxy and assembled it into the hub/ basket to be sure that everything lined up, then pulled it out and drilled and bolted once the epoxy hardened and it was properly held in position.
Also, I used 2 stainless eye bolts to use as handles so I can pull the darned thing out of the basket/ hub after using it.

1000 thank-yous to JEC, and here's a pic of mine:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is an old thread, but does anyone have a basket tool they'd like to sell/rent?

If not, I'd also be willing to buy someone's old/used plates to make my own basket tool with :)

-Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts