Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Champion generator I got almost 3 years ago for insurance against power outages.
It's worked great, there have been no power outages long enough to bother with it.

But the other day when I went to exercise it, the battery was dead.
Shows 13 volts, but when I push the starter button it falls to less than 1 volt. Won't charge.

It is a 12 Volt 7 AH battery. Common enough, but all the ones I find are too big to fit the battery tray. Anything taller is too tall to get over the sides of the tray, and in. Champion slowly responded to my e mail and said we have it in stock, it is an odd size so nobody else carries it. Send us your contact info and we will call you to order. It's $43. did not say if that includes shipping, I'll guess not, add $10 or $15.. Sent my phone #, two days later no call back. Great customer service. :rolleyes:

Short post long, I am thinking about removing the metal battery tray, and adding a platform to the frame cross pieces about 3/4" lower. Then I can pick the battery of my choice, and not go through this again in 3-5 years. So, the tray is held in place by 3 small tack welds. Should I take a pipe wrench to the tray and hope to pop the welds? Take a chisel to the welds,or a hacksaw? I don't have a welder or torch. See pic, it is welded in the lower corner, the other front corner, and the support on the right rear. Any other ideas would be appreciated too. Thanks.

TLDR. See post title.

100_4570.JPG

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
That will have to be cut out. from the Photo it looks like a solid weld in several locations. An Angle grinder will make short work of it. If you have an angle grinder or something to cut the weld I suggest doing it.

However, if you are going to have to purchase tools for removal as well as hardware and fabrication cost, you are going to exceed the cost of the $45 batter and the one that you will need in a few years.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crappy photo I know. but there are 3 small 1/8" ish blobs of metal holding the tray down.
I put a flashlight behind the horizontal tube and could see light between it and the battery bottom, between the corners.
Thinking hand hacksaw, but I have a Sawzall. Wonder if it might be too aggressive.
Pretty sure angle grinders are cheap. I can probably make a tray with some stuff in the garage.

Interstate and a whole lot of places, no dice. It's about 5.5" x 2.75" x 4.0". Weird small size for 7AH.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
You have a Sawzall? You don't have a problem. That tray is coming out...it don't matter how many pieces.
A die grinder would make short work of that too, as long as you have access to all three welds. And now you have a die grinder! Winning!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sawzall is very handy sometimes.

That back weld might be hard to reach. Maybe the Dremel type tool and a cutting wheel would work. I have that.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
If you do not have grinder, or die grinder. You can by the cut off wheel and put it into a drill (you must have a drill)? It will be fast an easy. Harbor freight has the cheap ass disks and the arbor...Lowe’s or anywhere else...you might be $10 in and it’s easy.

BYW you have a Ducati you need some damn tools!

Reactions: mlukason

·
Señor Member
8,201 Posts
Bring it to my house, I’ll cut it and weld you a new tray.

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've seen 4" angle grinders on sale at Harbor Freight for the likes of around $12.00 bucks. As long as you have access to what you want to remove, between the reciprocating saw and maybe a cheap (aka "sacrificial") 4" or 4.5" angle grinder, then just as Chuck said you've got no problem. Just be damned sure this is what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
You can't never have enuff tools. Many ways to unweld stuff. Files , blades chisels grind .you may need to waste away part of a grinding
disc to fit in a tight spot.
Buy tools or find friends with tools.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Harbor Freight tools are mostly Chinese but they’ve also started carrying stuff that isn’t Chinese. If you are buying a tool and it’s not something you will use often, HF stuff is okay. Their Chinese Dremels dont last, but sometimes they are on sale for under $10 with an assortment of bits, and will last a few hours if not abused. I have had one of their motorcycle lifts for years and it works fine, well worth the $300 I paid. Actually I would say their quality has gotten better over the years, but a $5 wrench is a $5 wrench.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another option.. Do you have one of those portable "power pack" jump starters for your car? Since the generator isn't a constant use machine, just hook up the power pack when you need to start it and forget the new odd ball battery. Plus you'll have the power pack if you ever need it for your cars, bike, etc..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts