Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed new pad on my 999 over the weekend.
I haven't ridden in yet, but I wanted to find out what's the recommended method for bedding in new brake pads.
Is the method similar to bedding in car brake pads? Get up to 60+ mph, brake hard and consistently, drive to cool the pads, repeat a few more times.
Carbon Lorraine pads, by the way. Same rotor as it's within specs and no scuff marks.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Very similar to car brakes. Who told you to bed in your brakes like that. That is exactly the wrong way to bed in new brakes. The method you described will cause glazing of the new pads and reduced stopping performance and excessive wear to your discs until you wear off the glaze. Bed in brakes gently and easily so they won't glaze. Did you clean the rotors prior to installing the carbon pads? It helps when going from ceramic to carbon, no biggie if you didn't but it will take longer for them to bed in. Be light on the brakes for the first 50 -100 miles. At first you will need some extended stopping distances. Carbon pads need a bit of time to bed in and heat. Take it easy for a day or so then once they bed in they work okay on the street but it's hard to get sufficient heat into them for them to work to their full potential. I prefer the EBC HH's for the street.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on my car, I use brembo rotors and Hawk carbon pads. The way I described is directly from Hawk.
thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's different then than ever other brake system I've worked on in the last 35 years. If that is what they say then that's what you should do. Best of luck.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
When I worked on cars, even the BMW service manuals say to do a nice fast highway drive and use the brakes frequently. A few miles is good enough because the high-flowing air will help keep the system cool.

From my experience on motorcycles, I've never done a bed-in process once. Sand the rotors a bit to get the old shit off, put the new pads in and go for it. I change pads every 2 months and take it easy for one lap on the track, just to give them some breathing room and from lap two on, its hard-core time. No funny discoloration on the pads or rotors and no issues with pad wear or braking potential, I can easily lock the front up.

Anyhow, ride the bike for a bit at high speeds and use the brakes periodically and in a few miles they'll be fine. Its kinda like people saying to scrub in your tires 100 miles. I understand scrubbing them in for a few miles just to get some heat into them, but 100 miles!!! Thats ridiculous and its the same deal with brakes.

Ride it like ya stole it and don't worry about it. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like car brakes, best way to quickly bed the pads is to perform a series of 60-10mph hard braking steps. The key is to be able to get the pads and rotors up to a temperature that will permit the pad material to evenly coat the rotors. About 10 or so hard braking series without a cool down will get this done. 2 series of these hard braking applications should effectively bed in the pads. What you want to do between series is let the brakes cool down completely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts