Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about 6'0'' even.

I own an M696 2009 and i commute about 90 miles RT mon-thur. Its a recent change since i only rode locally prior.

I got a givi A780 windscreen coming to help with some wind (first owner of bike removed stock screen completely).

and my issue is i cant tuck that well without my legs feeling very cramped. I barely manage the commute right now. I want to feel more comfortable on the bike.

Im thinking i could try rear set adjustable's before considering a different bike... Any suggestions? My friend has rear sets + he changed his handle bars and the height to put more weight forward.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I'm 6' 0 and have been commuting on my m1100s. Not sure if the 696 is the same frame/dimensions but one thing that's helped me is using the comfort/touring seat. It raises you up about an 1" and feels more roomy. In addition to this, being relaxed overall and not tensing up unknowingly - I have to remind myself to relax the muscles in my arms, shoulders etc.

You can go nutty trying to make all kinds of ergo changes and mods but in the end, from my experience anyway, you just have to be relaxed and get your body and muscles used to a riding position.

btw, my commute is about 90 round trip as well...

:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
+1 on a touring seat, I commute daily on my M900 although mine is a 20 mile trip. I'll add that if at all possible you could find an alternate route with less traffic this also helps. I commute with some really horrible drivers on the main roads and discovered an alternate route which turned out to take 2 miles out of my normal travel, also the fact that I'm off the main streets allows me to relax more and enjoy the ride in to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5'11"....185... and I find 3 things help on longer rides...

1) keep back straight as an arrow while leaning forward and almost resting upper stomach/lower chest on tank.

2) enduring shoulders/shoulder blades are pulled back almost pinching .... don't slouch

3) I try not to "hug" my bike but instead "hover" over it by an inch and gently squeeze bike with my legs (have sticky tank pads myself)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm 6'2" and still cramped on my 696, but these will help.

Shift-Tech Carbon - ST298 RGK-600 SILVER ADJUSTABLE FOOTPEG KIT MONSTER

These do a better job and are cheaper than rear set controls, but not as cool.
I have sato rear sets, they are very nice but don't lower the peg height much, like most rear set which are most used for track bikes and adjust mostly rearward and up for clearance.

I bought the Ducati touring seat which is supposedly an inch taller and more plush, but for the money, not so much. I had the stock seat recovered within additional 2" with a layer of gel material for slightly less that the touring seat , but it feels much better, done locally by an upholsterer.

The bike is now much more comfortable, but then I sat on a streetfighter and it was already a taller, more comfortable fit to start with.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I second the DP seat - it is much more comfortable. I agree that you get used to riding position and on the highway not much weight is placed on the wrists since the wind holds the torso up. I have ridden my 2009 Monster 350 miles without any soreness (I am smaller) and no aftermarket screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts