Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at about 5500 miles on my PR3s and honestly can't figure out how to measure if/how much they are worn? Is there a specific spot too measure tread depth? I have a depth gauge but there's a huge range of depths with this design.The multi-sipe tread pattern means that every sipe comes to zero depth at some point. There are no wear bars I can find and all the small rain sipes are sharply defined. The overall profile seems OK but I don't have a new one around to compare it to...

I can't detect any obvious slip or wear when riding. My concern is that I'm going on a trip to Western NC next month, so that's 1000 miles there and back without any riding I do while I'm there. Hate to go to cords mid-trip :think:

It goes without saying that I have loved the tires and plan to replace them with a new pair when it's time. They have worked flawlessly with excellent stick and feel (and pretty good wear so far:D)

·
Registered
223 Posts
5500 miles seems to be pretty good for a set of tires... I got 5700 on my last set of PR-2's. It was actually a PR-2 rear and a Pilot Power CT-2 front.

My 2 cents would be to bite the bullet and go with new tires before your trip. Fresh tires always make for a better ride and one less thing to think about.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I'm up to 5,800 miles on my set of PR3s. There are wear bars on the rear tires. Look more closely. You find them near the point of some of the deeper grooves, near the center of the tire.

Even without the wear bars, you can tell when the rear tire is close to being worn out when the thin zig-zag sipe that runs down the center of the tire has disappeared. That zig-zag has to disappear before any chords can show.

After 5,800 miles, my front PR3 still looks like new! All the sipes across the tire are intact. Even the rear looks like it may have another 1K or so left in it! I've never had a rear tire of any brand last more than 4.5K miles before. There PR3s are the business! :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are only a few wear bars on the rear tire, the front tire has more of them.

On my PR3's i drove more distance than on a BT21, BT23 or on the standard Pirelli's.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I agree, hard to tell but if they dont obviouslt appear worn they probably arent. I have 3500 on mine on the St3, most with a passenger and the rear is just barely starting to show any wear at all.

I'd say these might be a 9000 to 10000 mile rear tire based on wear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
if your front tyre looks like this it's time to replace it :D

large image

PR3 front tyre after 10k km's, and on motorbike holiday the last 1.000 km's at least the riding was "twitchy" ;)
(rear tyre will last around 1.500 km ??, dont even know exactly at what "milage" it was replaced anymore after the first rear tyre got a leak...)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
...I'd say these might be a 9000 to 10000 mile rear tire based on wear.
+1 Agreed. I think I managed almost 16,000km out of one set, and I don't ride like an old fart.

But it all depends how far you twist that wrist.

Track days are a whole different story!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I'm up to 5,800 miles on my set of PR3s. There are wear bars on the rear tires. Look more closely. You find them near the point of some of the deeper grooves, near the center of the tire.

Even without the wear bars, you can tell when the rear tire is close to being worn out when the thin zig-zag sipe that runs down the center of the tire has disappeared. That zig-zag has to disappear before any chords can show.

After 5,800 miles, my front PR3 still looks like new! All the sipes across the tire are intact. Even the rear looks like it may have another 1K or so left in it! I've never had a rear tire of any brand last more than 4.5K miles before. There PR3s are the business! :D
Best tyres? Amen to that and like a turd to a blanket in the wet to boot!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
if your front tyre looks like this it's time to replace it :D

large image

PR3 front tyre after 10k km's, and on motorbike holiday the last 1.000 km's at least the riding was "twitchy" ;)
(rear tyre will last around 1.500 km ??, dont even know exactly at what "milage" it was replaced anymore after the first rear tyre got a leak...)
You've been riding that like a mad Dutch f**cker too haven't you? :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
You've been riding that like a mad Dutch f**cker too haven't you? :p
maybe :rolleyes:

But then again that what this bike is made for (if the rider has that wish to do so) . And i certainly do believe there are much faster multistrada1200 riders out there, i consider myself an average rider .... (related to the other people i ride with)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I expect to get 9k miles out of the pr3 rear on my streetfighter. Already got about 7k miles and lots to go.
I even did one track day on them!

Yep, rear does have wear bars mostly in the center area.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Eloquently put sir! ;)

QUOTE=MJW61;1443693]. like a turd to a blanket in the wet to boot![/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts