Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lost my old one, need a new one.. i tried one on today, and the M was a pretty good fit, moved only a little.. I fit in a S, but it was really tight, and my checks were being pushed out, lol... so what do you guys think?

thanx!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
ducati955 said:
lost my old one, need a new one.. i tried one on today, and the M was a pretty good fit, moved only a little.. I fit in a S, but it was really tight, and my checks were being pushed out, lol... so what do you guys think?

thanx!
I believe the general advice is to get a helmet that fits as tight as you can put up with! I could have bought a smaller helmet than the one I have, but I chose a size that still fits snug without squeezing my brains through my nostrils!

However, if you can feel your head moving around inside a helmet as you twist it about, the helmet is definitely too big.

·
comrade moderator
26,825 Posts
Sort of depends on the brand of helmet. Arai's tend to "pack out" a fair bit and you want them pretty snug when new.

Other helmets...I don't know! Lot of help I was, huh?:eek:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Like chuck says, some pack out. Some pack out more than others, and a *good* rep should be able to help you with some advice as to the differences between brands.

Search some of the helmet manufacturers websites. There must be some tips on fit. Here's what I know/prefer. You shouldn't be able to lift a helmet off too easily. It should stay where it is supposed to be even if you're scraping along the pavement.

I don't like any movement at all in the helmet, but avoid anything that will give you a headache and only you can tell how tight is "too tight" for you. I go for the tightest, snuggest helmet that has no pressure points. Helmets don't only pack out differently, they fit differently because they have different shapes. Find the one that fits you - snug without hot spots.

I also like a quiet helmet because noise causes rapid fatigue and fatigue leads to accidents.

That is all.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm wearing a Shoei RF1000 (small) and I have chipmunk cheeks. I have an x-11(medium) aswell and although its more comfortable it's a little loose when I'm riding and look behind. I am inbetween a small and a medium.

Shoei says that your helmet will eventually settle a half a size bigger.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you also do not want your chin riding on the front interior of the helmet...that's a for sure jaw break.....er ouch moment

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx guys, that info is very helpful

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are your experiences w/ agv helmets? i fit well in a small hjc, would the agv be the same? i'll have to find some more bike dealers

·
Registered
396 Posts
AGV helmets aren't bad, I just find their visor arrangements to be a little flimsy. Shoei's are rock solid and well built. However, they don't seem to offer the same noise protection and ventilation as other helmets (excluding the X-11 series).

·
comrade moderator
26,825 Posts
I really want to be able to wear an X-11, but they (Shoeis) just don't sit on my head right, and I really don't care for ratcheting shields.

No meaning, just sayin.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
AGV sizing tend to run small. At least one size maybe 2.

You HAVE to try one on.

If you can't find a dealer. Go to one of the big online helmet houses and ask them for a suggestion on your size, they move a lot so they will get you closer then a stab in the dark. They suggested my size and it was spot on, after break in. YMMV.

AGV TiTech is a racing helmet. Noisy, visor has some issues at high speed closing on you. When closed, it has no issues. Fit and finish is good (but sparse) and it is VERY light. Again a racing helmet. The AGV is a Ferrari, light and nimble makes a lot of noise. My Scorpion is a Caddy, very plush, but heavy.

The AGV feels like a part of me. The Scorpion, not so much.

Guess which one I use every day?

Just make sure it fits correctly because it won't protect you if you don't wear it right.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool....... i will def only get a helmet i try on 1st or a site can exchange w/ me..

thanx again!!! can't wait to find my helmet!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Remember that different helmets from different manufacturers have different shapes too. Some more rounded than others.

So find one that fits the shape of your head.

Many of the higher end helmets have replaceable liners and cheekpads.

I've found that I typically need a small helmet, but I have to replace the cheekpads with thinners ones from a medium size helmet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
All great advice!

Also remember that some models allow you to swap out various pads - I bought the Arai Corsair in Small but then swapped out the cheek pads with another size so I have more room in the jaw area.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you are going to use the helmut for track days, I have found that it needs to fit pretty snug. I actually had to buy another helmut for the track, cause my street helmut moved around on me too much. It works ok for the street, but since my track bike has a little harsher suspension, I felt like a bobble head!

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Chuckracer said:
You can put a different liner in the X-11 and make it fit your head better...but you probably knew that!
Doh! :think:

I do now. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts