Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the pillion for, say, 100 mi. at a time. I've been bouncing back and forth trying to figure out which Duc will satisfy my/our riding needs. My current '02 Bayliss is my favorite of the 4 I've owned but, of course, is one-up only. I'm looking for something I can use solo but can also be at least bearable for 100 mi. between gas stops for my gf. Also what kind of mpg are people getting on the testastretta motors? TIA

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That was my first thought. But, to get an SC where I'd want it to be I'd have to upgrade the suspension bits, do something about the tube tire/wheels and (according to my Duc mechanic) upgrade the brakes. Way too expensive. My gf says "buy what you want. I can ride anything for short periods." I'm just wondering what she's in for. I'm the kind of guy who does 500 mi. days on a 998 in comfort so I'm up for distance on a sport type position. Probably going to use clip-ons if I get a Monster.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
the pillion for, say, 100 mi. at a time. I've been bouncing back and forth trying to figure out which Duc will satisfy my/our riding needs. My current '02 Bayliss is my favorite of the 4 I've owned but, of course, is one-up only. I'm looking for something I can use solo but can also be at least bearable for 100 mi. between gas stops for my gf. Also what kind of mpg are people getting on the testastretta motors? TIA
Speaking from S4R Monster (998 Termi'd Testa). I've pillioned my wife on a 4 day 2000km ride, and each of my daughters on 200km rides a couple times.

Riding a 100 miles (~160 km) is the range of the tank (with reserve left). No issues from the passenger experience I've had so far.

Wifey and I are planning another 10-day or so trip to the Dolomites (Northern Italy) before we move away from Holland.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would do s S2R/S4R monster or GT1000, if the wife is going to be with you alot, take her with you and test her out on the back, for both of your comforts. I think Ducati tends to be conservative with their MPG ratings, especially on the highway...My 696 is rated and advertised at 50 mpg, but I have seen figures consistently at about 60 mg. Make sure the bike is comfortable for the both of you, the last thing you want to do is upset the wife and make her uncomfortable on the back:D!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would do s S2R/S4R monster or GT1000, if the wife is going to be with you alot, take her with you and test her out on the back, for both of your comforts. I think Ducati tends to be conservative with their MPG ratings, especially on the highway...My 696 is rated and advertised at 50 mpg, but I have seen figures consistently at about 60 mg. Make sure the bike is comfortable for the both of you, the last thing you want to do is upset the wife and make her uncomfortable on the back:D!
I've owned a '97 and a '96 SS/SP. Both got 50 mpg on the slab. My '02 998 also got 50 mpg on the Interstate. I usually ride about 75-80 mph in cruise mode. My 'current '02 Bayliss 998 sucks down gas so I get about 40 mpg. I was kind of hoping I could come close to that 50 mpg figure on a S4RS.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You certainly could get that number, it is not unreasonable :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts