Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- new forum member here who is obsessed with the Hypermotard 950. I'm about 5' 9" (175cm) with a 30" (76cm) inseam. The closest dealers to me (80 and 90 min away) do not have one in stock, so I can't sit on one myself. Just wondering how tall you 950 (non-SP) owners are and how much of an issue was your height when you first took ownership of your bike?

My current bike has a 31.5" (80cm) seat height which does not bother me at all.

Thanks, and I'm jealous of all you HM owners.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 5'8" (in the morning before gravity sets in) and have a base 939. Stock height for the base is 870mm or about 34.25". I bought the lowering seat which lowers 20mm or to about 33.5". Having ridden dirt bikes in the past I was fine with not being able to touch down or flat foot. I scoot over a bit to get my forefoot on the ground. I'm tip-toe if trying to reach with both feet. In retrospect I would have been OK with the stock seat also. You get used to it. One thing I can't really do is back it out of a parking space when seated so I just push it out enough and get on.

·
Registered
2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP
30 Posts
I'm 5'7" and have a 2019 950 sp, the seat is just about an inch higher than the base. Its not bad if you've ever ridden dirt bikes. Same idea. Ill slide off the seat a little bit at stop lights so one of my feet touch exactly like TimF said. Usually the right one so I can shift into gear when the light turns green. I'm an inch shorter with a bike thats an inch taller than what you're looking at. I cant touch either foot on the ground when I hang them at the same time. No tippy toes or anything. I have no problems riding this bike and think you won't either as long as you're comfortable with one foot on the ground

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are the kinds of replies I was hoping for. I have no dirt bike experience (unless you count extensive MTBing) but feel like I can adjust and usually put one foot down as a matter of habit at stops anyway. Thank you for your replies!

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI the low seat is super wide, and pushes my legs out to the side. I swapped out to a race seat, and I can finally grip the tank properly. It's a bit higher, but way way more usable. Low seat is a band-aid that doesn't work very well.

I'm 5'7, 821 at normal motard height. It's high, and takes extra work riding 2 up, but no issues solo once you're used to it.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I am 5’7”, 30” inseam. I have extensive dirt experience. That doesn’t make me comfortable with a tall street bike. I don’t like them, won’t buy them. Motorcycles are like shoes, they need to fit you right to be comfortable. I wouldn’t buy shoes too big for me, and I never buy a bike I don’t fit either.

Reactions: djpamg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 5’7”, 30” inseam. I have extensive dirt experience. That doesn’t make me comfortable with a tall street bike. I don’t like them, won’t buy them. Motorcycles are like shoes, they need to fit you right to be comfortable. I wouldn’t buy shoes too big for me, and I never buy a bike I don’t fit either.
Yeah, good advice-- I'm keeping that in mind.

I like the HM for what appears to be a more upright position (I have neck issues that make me more comfy in an upright position). Other bikes out there provide an upright position, but I also like it because it is what it is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm 5'9 with 30 inch inseam and no issues with my Hyper 950 base. I'm not flat-footed at lights and stuff but can definitely get both feet to touch down with the forefoot no issues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
08 Hypermotard 1100s.
14 Posts
I'm 6' 3" (190cm) and chose the HM because every other bike I sit on looks like a kids bike!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 19'SP and have to have one cheek off center and only one tippy toe foot down when stopped. Doesn't bother me I've had other SM's/dirt bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
939 SP with the race seat installed.
I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam. I can just get on the balls of my feet at a stop, a little better when wearing thicker soled boots.
Difficulties: I can't use a tail pack of any useful size anymore, can't swing my leg over it without jumping up on the peg. Also, backing up is a little more difficult on loose surfaces.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 5'4" with a 28" inseam. Most likely one of the shortest stances on here. I ride a hyper 796 (not sure which seat it is as i bought the bike used) I absolutely love this bike, but yes it's tall. I have to pick a side to put my foot down, as i can't tiptoe both sides at the same time. I'm used to it and its not much of an issue unless I'm navigating really uneven parking areas or shoulders. Remember, the bike is tall, but the L-twin motor makes it pretty narrow. I wouldn't take a passenger on it though. I ordered i lowering link, yet to install. But i don't see one available for your 950.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am 6'-1" with a 33" inseam. 950SP but no real problems touching the ground except in uneven gravel lots. Great bike with no complaints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m 5’11” 190lb on a 16-939 sp and maaaaan I’m having hard time with this thing!
May be not use to it yet since I got it like a month ago but one side flat foot the other on the peg when on lights and in traffic,
otherwise I’m on my toes!
I gotta look Into that “Low seat”!
Anyone with the low seat-?? Some feedback????

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
214 Posts
6’2” and if it’s hot out 215 lbs during winter 235 lbs
2022 evo sp 1100 with suspension dialed in for my weight

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I’m 5’11” 190lb on a 16-939 sp and maaaaan I’m having hard time with this thing!
May be not use to it yet since I got it like a month ago but one side flat foot the other on the peg when on lights and in traffic,
otherwise I’m on my toes!
I gotta look Into that “Low seat”!
Anyone with the low seat-?? Some feedback????
I'm also 5'11", but sadly 220lb, haha. I'm on a 2017 939SP on a race seat and doing the same thing that you are. Flat on one side, peg on the other, OR tippy toe on both. Coming from a dirtbike background, I don't have issue with this though. The only time that you have to be in this position is at a complete stop. Typically, that's on flat pavement, like at a light. So does it really matter?

The times where I have to back the bike up or anything, I just stay off of it until I get it positioned. 5'11" is not short and clearly it's a tall bike, so no reason to be embarrassed about it, if that's an issue.

I say rather than upset your geometry by lowering the bike, or by sacrificing comfort by lowering the seat, I feel that given enough time, that you can get used to it.

Just a thought....

Dave

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thick soled boots do help. Setting sag properly usually results in a lower seat height.
Low profile seats can lose an inch or so. Lower profile tires can also drop seat height.
Lowering the suspension does not upset the geometry if done intelligently.
If you do everything I have listed you can make a noticeable difference, but you can’t do it with just one modification.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Dave, no not embarrassed or anything just feel so tall on it and in a light( many close together where I live) becomes annoying! Definitely not putting lower profile tires I dont think I can go any lower than the pirellI SP’s! The ohlins is set up for me already so the seat is my only option to be comfortable and confident since I feel like I’m “chickening out” on some sharp turns and ext!
Like I said I need to ride it more to get the grip of the bike....... coming off a monster 1100s/ Tuono factory and my Vrod this is
different for me- but fun 😎

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hey Dave, no not embarrassed or anything just feel so tall on it and in a light( many close together where I live) becomes annoying! Definitely not putting lower profile tires I dont think I can go any lower than the pirellI SP’s! The ohlins is set up for me already so the seat is my only option to be comfortable and confident since I feel like I’m “chickening out” on some sharp turns and ext!
Like I said I need to ride it more to get the grip of the bike....... coming off a monster 1100s/ Tuono factory and my Vrod this is
different for me- but fun 😎
I bought my 939SP with 1312 miles on it. The previous owner had bought it two years earlier. So, that means that the Supercorsas were old, as it turns out, almost four years old. I couldn't get a grip with the bike. I felt like I was sitting really tall on it and had zero confidence in the turns, I blamed the bike's stance at first, being so tall. The more I rode it however, the more slipping the tires seemed to do. They didn't like the rain, that's a given considering the tire tread pattern, or dirt for same reason, but I found that they sucked in the cold too. It was winter....

The OEM Supercorsas felt like they were made of Oak. They gave me zero feedback and no confidence. Motomummy had a crazy sale on Bridgestone S22s and having come off of them on my FZ-10, I picked up a set.

HOLY COW!! What a difference having tires that I could trust and feel on the bike!! Now I'm leaning the Hyper in deep and feeling positive about the tires and the handling. I no longer feel like I'm sitting too high up anymore. Hard to explain, but after typing all of this, I guess I'm trying to say that maybe you just need to change the tires to something that suits you, something that you know you can trust.

If the tires that you know you can trust are the Supercorsas that you have on it, well then I guess you are just screwed, haha.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts