Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I finally decided to remove the stock mirrors on my Monster 821 stripe and replace them with Arrow bar end mirrors that actually work.

The mirror attached to the master cylinder had so much thread locker that the head stripped out. An easy-out just drilled out the remaining threads and only with a traditional drill bit was I able to remove the head of the bolt and remove the mirror. So I grabbed the threads with a pair of pliers and began to twist. This worked until the teeth on the plier head stripped out the threads on the bolt. Now the plier head just slips. So last night I applied penetrating oil and applied more this morning but I thought I might check in here to see if there are additional things I can do. I might only have one more chance at removal and I need to make it count.

Should I use a heat gun? I have heard some thread locking agents need heat in the way or a torch for removal but this is the red stuff so maybe a heat gun will work? OTOH, maybe cold will shrink the metal slightly and I should apply an ice pack??????? Oh and the white stuff on the bolt is just paper towel that I wrap around the bolt for when I apply the oil.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'll give this thread until afternoon and then just see if pliers and the aforementioned penetrating oil will suffice.

NC

·
Registered
560 Posts
I take it you are aware that the right hand mirror has left hand threads.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Turn it in the correct direction with vice grips. A heat gun may help. If you have stripped the thread, you are going to have to look at a thread replacement method such as a Time-Sert.

Note: My used bike came with bar end mirrors. I like to see behind me so I bought a factory new OEM set. I forget which but the master or the replacement had a reverse thread. So, it isn't a one side has a reverse thread every time deal. I had to do some machine work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKK Me!

I did not know threads were reversed. Feel really stupid now. So what else is reversed on any mechancal product I have ever owned . . . . ??????

NC

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the rh mirror bolt thread is lh so that if the mirror gets a hit, the motion of the mirror turning backwards undoes the screw, instead of tightening and breaking it off.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKK Me!

I did not know threads were reversed. Feel really stupid now. So what else is reversed on any mechancal product I have ever owned . . . . ??????

NC
Gear lever rod.
Ride hight rod.
MV Agusta rear wheel nut.
Primary drive nut on an early royal enfield.
Most nuts that hold cooling fans on the shaft.
Some quarter turn shower and vanity taps.
BBQ gas bottle fitting.
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts