Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up in DC right now. Flew in from FL. Picking up my 01 996 on Monday morning in Richmond VA. Had the whole bike serviced, or at least I thought I did, before picking it up. They ended up doing the coolant, oil, filter, brake and clutch fluid. They forgot to do the belts.

The bike has 1500 miles on it. It's been stored in a climate controlled garage. I've got to put about 4 hours of riding on it getting it home from the train station, before I will be able to get it to the dealer.

Should I be worried? I had a PPI done at the local Ducati dealer and they said the belts looked okay. I tried getting them to do the belts today, but they didn't have any in stock. Do you think I will be okay? I know Ducati says to do them every two years and they have never been done on this bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If they looked at them, and didn't find any evidence of fraying...then you should be ok. I haven't heard of any of the newer style belts (Kevlar) failing unless it was due to a seized idler pulley or other visible problem.

It would be a good idea to change them in the near future, when you get a chance.

Personally, I do all my own work, and I don't have the special Ducati tool, so I use the 5mm trick as well as the 1/4 turn trick. Still haven't had a problem...knocks on wood.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I pushed the limits on my belts and one broke on my horizontal cylinder. If it breaks you can expect the piston to slam into the valves, bend the valves, crack the guides, damage the head of the piston and a chance of damaging the big end bearings or rod. So swaping some new belts is just cheap piece of mind.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Synergy said:
I pushed the limits on my belts and one broke on my horizontal cylinder. If it breaks you can expect the piston to slam into the valves, bend the valves, crack the guides, damage the head of the piston and a chance of damaging the big end bearings or rod. So swaping some new belts is just cheap piece of mind.

Boy, you just made me feel a whole lot better :D

I guess my question is.... if they don't look bad (fraying, etc), will they probably be alright? I have every intention of changing them as soon as i get home. Like I said, the bike is five years old with 1500 miles.

Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what year did ducati starting use the red lettered kevlar belts?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Ride on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dealer told me that unless the bike is baking every day in the hot Arizona sun or something, you'll probably be okay. On the other hand, it is cheap insurance to change them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool. thanks for the input guys. i'll get them swapped out when i finally make it back to FL. probably have them throw a new battery in there as long as it's in the shop.

i do have another question... is it true that the bike has to have not been run in the past 12 hours to properly change the belts? i was told by someone that if the bike is even slightly warm it will through off the install.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes, you want the engine COMPLETELY cool to do the belts. It's for the purpose of adjustment. All the specs or settings are cold. Then, when the motor heats up, the belts get tight...and they do get tight. It's amazing how much these motors expand when warm. I checked mine one time after warm up (cause I had one whining but that's another story) and could not believe how tight they got when the motor's warm. But that's why.

·
Registered
998 Posts
whaddya mean they forgot to do belts? and what sort of dealer doesn't have them in stock? it's a good thing for you they won't be your regular dealer, if they were i'd advise finding another!
as for the condition of the belts, i'd be careful, they are at more risk of breaking from not being used rather than having heaps of miles on them. the reason for this is the belt kept tight over a roller for extended periods can cause it to perish and crack. this is more of a problem on 2 valvers for obvious reasons.
i don't want to rain on your parade, but i'd get the belts done before riding it, unless the dealer that said they look o.k will put that to paper (which i doubt)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts