Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Red ST4S ABS with new style fairing and dry clutch.

Im aware that these were pretty rare as they moved to a wet clutch for the last batch of ST4S's with the G2 fairing.

The reason i ask is that i was knocked off whilst exiting a roundabout on Friday.
I was in the 'Straight ahead and RIGHT' lane, and the car next to me was in the 'Straight ahead and LEFT' lane (UK). As i exited straight ahead she continued to come right and clipped the back left side of my bike sending me across the raised kerb separating the two lanes onto the roundabout, and then across the paths of oncoming traffic (3 lanes) until i mounted the pedestrian kerb and went up the grass verge.
I stayed on but dropped the bike up on the verge scratching all the right panels. The damage to the left from the impact with car was left exhaust and seat cowl fairing. The impact to the kerb bent my front wheel rim and has bent the forks.

Spoke to my Ducati dealership and they reckon that it's on the verge of a write-off? They are picking it up wednesday and then the insurance guy will come and inspect it to make his decision.

Im hoping that due to how rare it is, and the fact that im unlikely to find another, may sway them in the direction to repair it?

Im ok and the lady has admitted full liability so there are no problems with the claim going through, but i just really dont want to lose my beloved bike!!

Thoughts on how rare it is to help my plea will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
7,733 Posts
Sorry to hear about your get off and am glad you seem okay. Your bike is not rare in the true sense, but OTOH it was not produced in high numbers either. The story ST owners are told about Ducati's decision to drop the line is that the sales were low. Chances of finding another one are fair but it would take some searching. Good luck. :)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Sorry about your off. That takes the wind out. At least your curbs in the UK are chamfered (45º) where ours are not and will flip the bike or tear off wheels / heads.

If you truly want to know the rarity, this thread post has the numbers:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/86064-seriously-4.html#post876211

But in all likelihood it will be a write-off, because as good as these bikes are, they are just starting their second decade (ST4s) and are not worth much in the eyes of the insurers.

Now would be a good time to contemplate a rebuild with a TSE motor like everyone wants to see done.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
In your situation I would buy back the wreck if its written off as these bikes are getting hard to find. I would have bitten your hand off if your bike had come onto the market when I was looking to replace my 2002 with my current 2005 (my wife still wants it in Red.......)

BTW - You may find that , despite the drivers admission of guilt , the claim may be split 50/50 and you lose your NCB. Technically it is questionable who was legally at fault.
I realise this may be annoying but dont shoot the messenger just be glad you did suffer any serious injury.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I stayed on but dropped the bike up on the verge scratching all the right panels. The damage to the left from the impact with car was left exhaust and seat cowl fairing. The impact to the kerb bent my front wheel rim and has bent the forks.
Thanks
Tom, Sorry to hear about your accident and the seat cowl fairing I sold you, how did the car hit that part?
The damage sounds minor if you can get the salvage buy back cheap, she should be repairable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, Sorry to hear about your accident and the seat cowl fairing I sold you, how did the car hit that part?
The damage sounds minor if you can get the salvage buy back cheap, she should be repairable.
I meant the seat side fairing panel, not the cowl. I think the cowl is about the only thing rarer than my bike!!
I waioted 2 years for a late model ST4S ABS to come up for sale, a few old style popped up, and a couple of ST3S's but never an ST4S ABS and i havnt seen one since.
I am going to email some dealers to try and get a realistic 'hypothetical' price of how much they would sell one for in the condition mine was in (before the accident), and then i can give this infor to the insurance company. The trouble is, if they try and offer me a price, there are no comparable bikes on the internet for sale to try and push the undoubtedly low offer up a bit.
BUT.....its not written-off yet! - its going to the dealewrs tomorrow and we'll see??
Some pics of the damage. Didnt take one of the forks as its difficult to see with just a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tom,
There was a Red ST4S ABS wet clutch with 12k miles on it that sold on Ebay a couple of weeks back from the London area, guy was selling up and moving abroad.
I watched it but didn't bid, think it went for 5K to 5.5K so someone was keen to have it.
Hope it helps your valuation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom,
There was a Red ST4S ABS wet clutch with 12k miles on it that sold on Ebay a couple of weeks back from the London area, guy was selling up and moving abroad.
I watched it but didn't bid, think it went for 5K to 5.5K so someone was keen to have it.
Hope it helps your valuation.
Mate thats perfect! Thanks. Found it via a google search. EXACTLY the same specs as mine other than the clutch, same mileage and everything. Should help if they try and under-value it.
Cheers

·
Registered
797 Posts
Glad you are OK!
Here in the USA that would be a "write-off" or "total".....
But as suggested try and buy it back, to either rebuild or sell many valuable parts off of her....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news

Excellent news- its not a write off!

Forks were fine, but the repair bill came to £7200 to get it back to 'factory finish'.
I managed to negotiate the costs down by removing all the bits that were just being replaced because they had minor damage - like panels etc.
So it boiled down to the front wheel, tyre, brake discs, rear left and right tail fairing and the left passanger foot assembly, + labour.
Total repair came to about £3000. bike valued at £4500.

So all in all a good result. Im very happy. Once the bike is back ill get out the T-cut and polish and try to remove any minor scratches, then it'll be an eBay job to get it as close to perfect as it was.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts