Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i spent a few hours i'm not going to get paid for making this rather nifty (or so i thought) coil mount for a 93 900sl i'm doing a big job on.

all went great until i tried to put the tank down. i thought i had enough room. bupbow. fucker.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had considered hitting the tank several times, but figured i wouldn't even do that to my own bike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I made a plate that goes in the same place ( back of the airbox, in front of the battery ) that screws to the airbox using the exisitng 2 captive threads in the airbox, and had the coils next to each other, not stacked. IIRC ( it's been a while ) I put the black electric control box for the Ignitech on the same plate.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, that's the plan. i had a measure and thought this would fit, plus give nice access to the connectors and good room for the ignitech on the right. there's a local custom loom maker who i'll get to do some nice low profile right angle terminals on pigtails - should have done that to start with. that way i can stand them up and mount them on the same screws. ignitech should stand vertical to the right by my measure - not as confident on that front as i was now.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Damn I hate it when that happens lol, spend alot of time making something then it does not fit. But we have been there mate -I am sure if anyone here can figure it out it's you

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I usually would not want them touching each other to help with heat but I may be paranoid.

Hey after all that work to fit them can you shim the tank up a bit or is is too far off?
Then there is that tank adjuster.... Mr ball peen hammer. Then he has a "custom" tank...lol

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eric, i reckon it's 5mm, so too much to shim it. and i'd rather have some clearance, rather than just fit sort of thing. if i had some mad hammer skills i might go the tank, but i don't and i'd just rather not. it's a 93 superlight, so the least special, but still.

the coils did have a small gap between them. maybe not enough, dunno. i hear our point on the heat though. i'll do them both to the lh side now, stacked on a mounting screw.

sometimes i insist on proving to myself something is a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone have thoughts on rubber mounting ignitechs versus more solid / just ziptied to the steel bracket (which i've done a few times at least).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
maybe it's just me -But if this is on a nice SuperLight as rare as they are, I personally would want a neat tidy install and something that would appear to be a factory job--at least to the normal person that may not know exactly what it should be. If it looks right thats the key

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
some ultimate success, couple of issues along the way. i made the distance between bends what the overall outside distance should have been, so in the end just squashed it against some 16mm square tube to narrow it. had to elongate the 5mm coil holes because of that as the coil bodies were touching the bend. and the 6mm mounting hole at the rh end needed a bit of a slot. but done now.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
working with 2mm steel plate is a real pita for me. now i have a pattern, if i had to do it again, i'd get it drawn up and watercut. i'd put a shaped hole in the middle of it too, because that just make it look like a professional job. the cutting out with thin discs and trying to make it look nice (ie, straight lines) takes so long. get it cut and then bend and it'd be much easier.

i'll drop it at the platers up the road and get it gold zinc'd and it'll be fine. i know it could be better, but i'm over 8 hours into this coil mounting bit so far with wiring still to be sorted and a fair chunk of that is going to be written off and i hate that bit. part of custom fabrication i know, but still hate it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The limited space behind the airbox was the reason I installed the Ignitech unit under the seat. That way, there's plenty of room for the Nology's. I made a new bracket that uses the original mounting holes in the airbox. Fitted the coils at an angle so that the spark plug leads don't have to make any sharp angles and are easy to disconnect.

Then I splitted the Ignitech wiring loom and soldered the wires instead of using the stock 2- and 3-pin plugs. That way, I don't have all these plugs near the coils, I could seperate the pick-up wires from the spark plug leads and everything is easy to disconnect when the airbox has to be removed (to work on the carbs).
All I have to unplug are the + and - connectings on the coils and the spark plug leads. All the other wires are zip-tied to the frame.

Everything on the photos was meant to be a prototype (to check if everything fitted and worked) but as everything works just fine I think I'm gonna leave it this way (although I wish I had black tape at the time...)

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wiring now goes to the right side of the frame for the + and - connections for the ignitech and the - connectors for the coils coming from the ignitech.

On the left side of the bike, the wires coming from the pick-ups are attached to the Ignitech. Here I used waterproof connectors and didn't solder the wires so I can always easely disconnect them.
I did this to avoid any contact between the pick-up wires and the spark plug leads when I should use the provided connectors and connected everything at the right side of the bike. In that case, the pick-up wires would come from the left, run under the coils to the connector on the right side and the spark plug leads would run from the coils to the left side, going down to the cylinders at the exact same spot as where the pick-up wires would come up (behind the tick breather tube that goes to the airbox).

On top of that I now only have 4 wires to the coils and 2 spark plug leads on the back of the airbox. Much cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
anyone have thoughts on rubber mounting ignitechs versus more solid / just ziptied to the steel bracket (which i've done a few times at least).
I just zip-tied it to the inner fairing under the seat (where normally the toolbox would be). I cutted a piece of 2cm thick foam and placed that under the unit because the plastic inner fairing has a slight curve to it.
At first I also was thinking about fabricating or buying a bracket for the Ignitech (I recently found one on Eb*y) but I think my way also does the trick (keeping the Ignitech thightly secured in place) and the foam underneath it should protect it from vibrations (if that is even needed...). On top of that it's and easy and cheap way of securing the unit and if I ever have to remove the unit all I need are a few new zip-ties.
Negative: I did have to drill a few small holes in the plastic...

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
A little word about my Ignitech wiring jpg: the wire-colors are not accurate. If anyone would like to know the correct colors I'll make a new jpg (with a grey background as there are some white wires).

·
Registered
33 Posts
The limited space behind the airbox was the reason I installed the Ignitech unit under the seat. That way, there's plenty of room for the Nology's. I made a new bracket that uses the original mounting holes in the airbox. Fitted the coils at an angle so that the spark plug leads don't have to make any sharp angles and are easy to disconnect.

Then I splitted the Ignitech wiring loom and soldered the wires instead of using the stock 2- and 3-pin plugs. That way, I don't have all these plugs near the coils, I could seperate the pick-up wires from the spark plug leads and everything is easy to disconnect when the airbox has to be removed (to work on the carbs).
All I have to unplug are the + and - connectings on the coils and the spark plug leads. All the other wires are zip-tied to the frame.

Everything on the photos was meant to be a prototype (to check if everything fitted and worked) but as everything works just fine I think I'm gonna leave it this way (although I wish I had black tape at the time...)
Very neat installation

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was thinking of moving the ignitech, but i'd rather have it under the tank.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i was thinking of moving the ignitech, but i'd rather have it under the tank.
That was also my first idea, to have everything installed under the tank. Main reason was keeping all things dry.
That's why I removed the connectors from the ignitech (these 2- and 3-pin connectors don't seem waterproof to me), soldered the wires together and covered them in heatshrink tubing (with glue).

The only thing that worries me know (just a little) is the Ignitech unit (and it's big connector) can get wet in severe rain. (Although I'm basicly a 'sunshine rider'.)
I hope that's not a problem, I have been riding in rain and it seems that the location where the Ignitech is installed now was always pretty dry. I have my insurance papers taped under the seat and they are still untouched by water. I had to drill some holes to mount the Ignitech so maybe water can enter that way but I'm gonna check that as soon as possible.

Is water also your reason why you prefer having the unit under the tank?
Or are there any other reasons why installation under the tank is 'better' than under the seat?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts