Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently there were the carbon mirror mounts from an r model on e bay, damn they were sweet!!

i have also noticed quite a few magnesium head light buckets for sale.

so my question is how much weight would it save to switch the stock bucket and ears from a base model 999 to the magnesium and carbon set up??

thanks

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Its actually quite a bit of weight difference. The stocker is cast aluminum, same as your engine casing. The magnesium is still cast magnesium, but its much lighter. I mean, there are better ways to remove weight from a 999 besides spending it on a bunch of magnesium pieces. Light weight battery for instance, will make the biggest difference and its cheap compared to a large piece of magnesium.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its actually quite a bit of weight difference. The stocker is cast aluminum, same as your engine casing. The magnesium is still cast magnesium, but its much lighter. I mean, there are better ways to remove weight from a 999 besides spending it on a bunch of magnesium pieces. Light weight battery for instance, will make the biggest difference and its cheap compared to a large piece of magnesium.
So true, but also consider these magnesium pieces might not be available forever. Way more of a bling mod than an actual performance enhancement for sure, but still good.

·
Registered
468 Posts
No weight given on DP catalogue but they say the assembly with mirror stays is 25% lighter than the stock assembly.... It looks nicer from the front of the bike but personally the best view is from the riders position...I love my magnesium headlight bucket.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Tye is right about the battery. Though it's closer to CofG, it's weight savings is substantial. The front subframe is about a kilo, IIRC; while the battery(I have a Ballistic) saved a weighed 7lbs.

Much cheaper too.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I'm kicking myself for not weighing the two. I installed a magnesium head bucket and stays on my base 999. I held the aluminum head light bucket and stay in one hand, the magnesium in the other....I wa shocked just how light weight the magnesium stuff was..so incredibly light...should have weighed them. The CF stays are on my 999 now along with an R nose fairing....they are as light or maybe a smidge heavier than the magnesium stays...nice upgrade!!!! If you want one better buy it, they will soon be disappearing..

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Magnesium headlight bucket weighs 1.34Kg with all the bolts and clips installed, including the fairing stays/spacers but without the fuse pack.

I was surpised it weighed that much as it feels so light in the hand.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you can remove weight from the extremities, that's where you should focus your attention. The closer the weight is to the CoG the smaller the benefit will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts