Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With what it seems like good weather starting for the northern hemisphere, I guess I'm in the worst possible scenario as a buyer, with a cold winterish fall starting here and bike prices that seem to be higher.

But is the difference this large from summer to winter in bike prices in the US?

I'm becoming a little worried, because I browse around the web looking for a Ducati SS (750/800/900, any year, I don't mind) and I see everyone asking for prices nearer to 5k right now, even for stock CR carbed SSs, which I understand should have a lower selling price due to their difference with the SP, for example.

This is not the kind of price I understand I should pay for one of these bikes, from what I've researched in this forum and others. But my worry is that perhaps prices have simply peaked regardless of season and there's no much point in waiting for your winter/my summer.

I'd be grateful of your input on this matter, thanks!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This is a tough question because the bikes in question range significantly from engine size to CC's. I strongly suggest a bike with adjustable suspension, but yeah, $3,000 to $5000 is what I think they're worth. The thing with these bikes, though, is that they keep their value. This is the fourth 900SS (two carby models and two fuelies). The first fuel injected model got totaled by a friend, but the other two carbies were sold for a bit more than I bought them for. I got my current bike for just about $4000 and I'm sure that even with twice the miles, I'll at least get that much for it. I think the 1000SS will be a bit more, but other than that, I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for a 900SS.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That is the price range in Michigan, too. Curiously, though, people do seem to want about the same price for the base models as for the upgraded models, such as an SP. Therefore, it makes sense to buy what you really want. Fuel injection is a plus, as is adjustable suspension. Be patient and the right one will come along. Learn as much as you can about them so you know the difference between models. Spring here usually coincides with peaking prices, but also more variety than you will probably find later in the year.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Prices may be seasonally up but there are generally more bikes for sale this time of year. Gives you a bit more to choose from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check craigslist in S.F. Seems to be a Mecca for Ducati. Got my 2000 900ss ie there with only 6200 Palm Springs miles on it and was parked in a living room---4500, cover, stand, book. Main thing, mileage.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Also keep in mind that the pre 99 and post 99 are basically two very different bikes to ride. You really should decide on which one you're looking for. I prefer the newer one but that's just me. The old one is sweet too, but it's another experience all together.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ditto on the statement that prices seem to be equal - at least here in California - across the board for varying SP, CR, etc. models, given similar mileage and condition. It doesn't seem to make sense given the original cost and equipment of the different bikes, but that does appear to be the case, regardless.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the responses. It seems my analysis wasn't too far off.

To be honest, I prefer the older SS, but I would be very happy with a newer one as well. I'm even open to getting a Monster if the right one comes along; I am not too focused in the specifics, but rather want to find a nice bike for a fair price.

I'll keep on checking ebay and craiglist (thanks for the SF heads up). Perhaps the right one at the right price will come along a little later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ditto on the statement that prices seem to be equal - at least here in California - across the board for varying SP, CR, etc. models, given similar mileage and condition. It doesn't seem to make sense given the original cost and equipment of the different bikes, but that does appear to be the case, regardless.
I paid $4200 not long ago for an as-new 7000 mile CR, in 100% stock condition. It was exactly what I was looking for, except for being a '97 with Marzocchi forks. Luckily I had a spare set of Showas on hand, so that was not a big deal.

Friends of mine were paying $6600 for new ones in 1996 (heavily discounted), so it's all a matter of perspective. After installing the exhaust I wanted and other odds and ends, I'm in it probably $5500 in 2012... but that's OK with me. Its a 'new' CR and every time I see or ride it, it makes me smile.

Re price variation between SP, CR, FE etc, I think there's a case to be made that the CR is the best for some people - I was actually looking for a CR. I prefer the narrower rim, the lighter fairing, and the steel swing arm that doesn't crack. Of course a lot of people like the higher spec SS's more. But I prefer mine :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I paid $4200 for my 97' SS/SP way back in 2008. I would agree that prices are pretty much stable. My SP came with Keihin 41 FCR's and RaceTech gold valves and springs and had 11k on the odo. Only things I've added are STM master and Termi oval slip-ons. Best thing about buying now is, bikes this age already have many of the "goodies" added to them!

Good luck in your search. I may be a bit biased but I love the older carbie's and will hopefully never have to sell this bike. Never imagined that I would get so attached to a piece of metal.

I should mention that $4200 USD was really closer to $5000 CAD at that time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here in teh US, as far as I could see the carby 900's really held their value around 5k... consistently for yeeeeears up until maybe 3-5yrs ago, then a pretty big dip seemed to occur as I saw a lot of average condition ones on the market for around $3-3.5k, but lately, it seems people want around $5k again, and I don't see many for sale very often. Makes me wonder if the increasing scarcity of these machines is making them start to appreciate in value (in the sellers eyes at least).

That said, the market can be very fickle and an any point in time I'm never suprised to see optimists asking very high prices and others giving away bikes at fantastically low prices - those tend to sell real quick.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
You can buy my 95 SS/SP with fresh belts, oil, chain, new SS brake and clutch lines, valve adjust., and Marvic 2 piece Superlight wheels (originals come with) for about $6.8k. ;)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
447 Posts
Any idea what a mint condition, low mile FE is worth??
I'd suggest maybe $5-6k tops but I bet you can find 10 people who'll say thats too low, and 10 others thats say too high.

The bottom line is it's worth whatever someone is prepared to pay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just picked up mine for 3k, it's immaculate visually engine is great. it only needs fluids flushed and tires.
it also came with like 1.5k in spare parts
i got a deal i know
Ducati 900SS - Imgur
i picked it up 4 hours after he posted the ad
I am trying to be careful i think the tank is trying to implode on me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought '96 900ss CR with 13,000 miles, looks nice but runs rough. $3750, but here weather is always good. I missed a better one for same price, both on craigslist.org

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Can you post a pic? I've never seen another SS with the Marvic's, other than mine.

You can buy my 95 SS/SP with fresh belts, oil, chain, new SS brake and clutch lines, valve adjust., and Marvic 2 piece Superlight wheels (originals come with) for about $6.8k. ;)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, hey, I am on the Sacramento craigslist and here is a 1999 900ss with 22000 miles in tricolore for 3000!! If I had the cash I would go pick it up right now- you just have to keep cruising the big towns and type in Ducati with your price ceiling. Good Luck, they're out there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine is a 1994 SS/SP Mods include 944 kit, Kehein carbs, lightened flywheel, gas flowed heads, 12.75:1 compression, and the ubiquitous "swiss Cheese" airbox. Came with two new Michelin "Power" tires. 18K miles. New frame in 2006. I paid $3500.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts