Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 GT1000 that was a 'leftover' - I just bought it new with 0 miles on it. It's my first Ducati and I'm really enjoying it, though I of course hate having to keep it under 6k RPM for the break-in.

But while I know I should expect more 'desmo noise' from the engine than other bikes, I'm not sure what's normal. Right around 5000 RPM, and increasing as I approach 6k, the engine begins making a possibly strange noise - I'd have to describe it as almost a "buzzing" or "clacking" sound accompanied by pretty noticable vibrations.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this normal for the GT? Will it go away as the engine breaks in and things get 'seated' better?

TIA

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am new to Ducati as well. Mine has a 'buzz' from about 5-6k rpm. I think its pretty normal. I would be more concerned about 'clicking' or 'ticking' noises that could be from metal on metal contact somewhere.

Sorry I can be of more help.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
From what you describe, I am not sure I like the description. Is it possible to return it to the dealer for a second opinion?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
From what you describe, I am not sure I like the description. Is it possible to return it to the dealer for a second opinion?
+1 on this. Not sure you should be hearing any 'clacking' sounds. If the bike has been immobile for 2 or more years, did the dealer check the belts before releasing the bike to you? Not saying the belts could be responsible for the noise, but the idea of a belt check came to mind.

A further check by your dealer may be in order. Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
+1 much want :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not much. I know thats a bit vague...but fits the question. Maybe a sound bite will help us..?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think what RudolphHart said is very true. These engines need to be used and it is a possible that a belt bearing has seized during the time the bike has been stored. Get it checked!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I can suggest that whether there is something wrong with your engine or not, you need to your confirm the doubt in your mind that you have about the engine noise.

The easiest way to do this is go back to the shop you bought it from; if you doubt their advice (possible warranty cost to them) go to another Ducati shop. I hope it works out for the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts