Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Maybe this should be in classifieds, but since I'm just requesting information at this point, and nothing is for sale yet, I posted here. Mods, feel free to move if you see fit. Anyway, like the title says how much can I expect to get for a pair of YSS RG 302-360 TRCL shocks? They have a piggy back reservoir and are 3-way fully adjustable. I've had them for about a year, and they've been mounted to my GT for about 10 months. Very good condition. They are stock 380mm length and sprung for an 180lb rider, plus gear. Spring is black and referred to as 17-25 on the invoice, if that tells you anything. Retail is $699.00 per pair plus shipping.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to lower my GT by 1 to 1.5 inches and there are two ways I'm considering to go about this. Option A is to get a set of Napoleon lowering brackets for $380 shipped and keep my current shocks. Option B is to buy a new set of YSS shocks in the desired shorter length ($699 plus shipping and installation/setup) and then sell the OEM length shocks. I'm trying to determine which will be the most cost effective.

For instance, if I can get $400 or more for my current shocks, I'll order another, shorter set and do the swap.

If, however, the consensus is that I could only expect around $300 then it would be better for me to just get the brackets.

Thanks for your help.:)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Can't you send them back to Klaus and have him re-size them for you?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hello all,

Maybe this should be in classifieds, but since I'm just requesting information at this point, and nothing is for sale yet, I posted here. Mods, feel free to move if you see fit. Anyway, like the title says how much can I expect to get for a pair of YSS RG 302-360 TRCL shocks?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to lower my GT by 1 to 1.5 inches and there are two ways I'm considering to go about this. Option A is to get a set of Napoleon lowering brackets for $380 shipped and keep my current shocks. Option B is to buy a new set of YSS shocks in the desired shorter length ($699 plus shipping and installation/setup) and then sell the OEM length shocks. I'm trying to determine which will be the most cost effective.

Thanks for your help.:)
Be aware that lowering the GT so much changes handling and clearance to a big extent…
A guy in the german duc forum did so and had real problems because he also had to lower the front so much to get a balanced ride…

The problem was mudguard to engine clearance and overall effect resulting from low center of gravity

·
Registered
450 Posts
Postage

Would you be prepared to ship these to the UK and if so do you have some idea what that might cost? thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
a guy in Czech Rep (which is me);) experiencing the same problem with lowered shocks. Mine was about 15mm shorter than standard. Was not bad but it slowed down the bike's response when cornering. I just re-adjust and gained about 9mm back, the result was really great especially with newly installed Excel wheels and Tomaselli clip on.

Cheers..

Be aware that lowering the GT so much changes handling and clearance to a big extent…
A guy in the german duc forum did so and had real problems because he also had to lower the front so much to get a balanced ride…

The problem was mudguard to engine clearance and overall effect resulting from low center of gravity

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't you send them back to Klaus and have him re-size them for you?
I got in touch with Klaus via e-mail. The parts and labor to have them shortened will be about $250, plus shipping there and back. So now this is definitely the low price option.

This is why I'm still considering the lowering brackets, even though they cost more, change the geometry of shock absorbtion, and add unsprung weight. If I have problems, they will be easy to remove and revert the bike back to stock height.

However, several forum members have lowered their bikes up to 40mm (@ 1.5 inches) without reporting serious problems. I would probably only lower the forks half that much, at first anyway. I know that will slow steering, but on the GT we have so much leverage with the big wide handlebars that the bike can really be muscled into a corner if need be.

Anyway, so now I'm deciding between having my YSS shocks rebuilt shorter, or buying the lowering brackets.

Thanks for the feedback so far:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts