Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a vendor on eBay listing new fcr39 for $181 US and fcr41 for $195. They list them as being appropriate for multiple Honda , Kawasaki, Suzuki models. Is this any different from the model sold for Ducati, other than jetting ? It comes with a jet selection. I would assume the manifolds, throttle cables , and whatever else is needed is available separately. Jetting advice is available here. It would seem this could be a cheaper alternative to the complete kit version, if all FCR carbs are designed to mount the same . Does anyone know ?

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dug up my own answer, both downdraft and horizontal versions are available. What you need depends on whether you go split or not.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Many variations of FCR's as well, I have not played with a knockoff FCR. I did just install and jet a mikuni for a friends 4-wheeler. $400 for oem carb , $50 for a ebay/Amazon copy. The carb is working fine now but you had best be jetting yourself or it may cost you more than a genuine FCR. as often the case it is all the details and the passages in the carb were different and jetting needed to be different to match the new carb. I was able to convert it to mikuni parts so at least now I have known sized jets to adjust fuel. The jets that came with the carb were visibly smaller and none were even marked with a size so I had to use jet drills to figure out what I was starting with.

And yes there were plenty of glowing testimonials stating the carb worked great. Makes you wonder if they were fake reviews or simply owners who consider a running motor close enough.

I still would try one if cheap enough, but then I do own a dyno and buckets of genuine jets.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have suspicions about them. Are they genuine ? Supposedly. I have been around long enough to have learned a few things the hard way. I really have never seriously considered switching to FCRs but that has somewhat been due to price. Another possibility I’ve seen is Mikuni flat slides for around $120 each, but I don’t know what other mounting challenges I might run into. The Mikuni is a much simpler carb to tune, and I’m familiar with it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I do have suspicions about them. Are they genuine ? Supposedly. I have been around long enough to have learned a few things the hard way. I really have never seriously considered switching to FCRs but that has somewhat been due to price. Another possibility I’ve seen is Mikuni flat slides for around $120 each, but I don’t know what other mounting challenges I might run into. The Mikuni is a much simpler carb to tune, and I’m familiar with it.
Hey I thought about trying Lectron's but then after talking to them I was told they could not be mounted at the angle the 900SS requires. Which really sucks I like Lectron's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts