Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows the figure? I know that Paul Smarts were limited to 1000 pieces but is it me or are there are more Paul Smart owners in this forum than Sport 1000S owners?

Of course I am not for a moment suggesting that there were less than 1000 Sport 1000s made :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have heard there were 1,000 Paul Smarts, then 1,500 and last but not least 2,000. I contacted someone at DNA and they said Ducati had no idea how many they made. I stopped asking after that because it really does not matter to me I like my bike and after a moment of insanity have decided to keep it until I can no longer ride and then my son gets it.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the numbers at one time. It was broken down by year and location. I got it from dna. Ill try to find and post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the numbers at one time. It was broken down by year and location. I got it from dna. Ill try to find and post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Wondering if you ever found a number for 1000S? I'll do some research.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
User Pberger posted this on the Sport-classic.net forums. I can't verify any of it, but it doesnt hurt to share it. Take it for what its worth

"Hello all, I just returned from Italy and made a visit to Borgo Panigale for a factory and museum tour. While there I inquired about the production figures for the Sport Classics. Below is straight from the factory:

Total number of Sport Classic produced is 13,052 over all years

Paul Smart Limited Edition sport. -2247 units
Sport 1000 ( mono and biposto ) - 5724 units
GT1000 sport-classic. - 5081 units

Years:
2005 - 4045 units
2006 - 5123 units
2007 - 1387 units
2008 - 1506 units"

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
No wonder they're hard to come by, I think I've seen about 15,000 "WTB Sport Classic" posts ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
for what it's worth

I think I got this from ducati north america soon after I got my 2008 biposti when I asked them about number produced.
2007 black 240 total/ 69 usa
red 253 total/60 usa
yellow 204 total/109 usa

2008 black 84 total/ 52 usa
red 14 total/ o usa
yellow 0 total/ 0 usa

total for 2007 697 / 238 usa
2008 98 / 52 usa

like I say, I cant verify the numbers and its possible the just gave me something to shut me up. keep in mind this is just for sport mono and biposti for just these two years. I really hope the numbers are true. (i have a 2008 biposti black with under 1500 miles). (( and yes I do ride just not as often as I wish))

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think Dat1Gut's passed-on numbers are accurate. I too felt there was more Paul Smarts than the other 1000s bikes, especially the black model which NEVER comes up. Just because the PS's have an actual floating Limited Edition tag of 2,000 (appears a bit more) it has inflated it's demand higher then the 1000s. I'm guessing of those 5,700 or so Sport 1000 units, very few are the 1000s because they appear to have sold much weaker. Maybe 1,500, max...?

I'm very surprised to see so many GTs built. Who bought 'em? Whenever I saw the Sport Classics on display in shops, there was always just 1 or 2 lonely GT's among a line of Sport 1000's.

David

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I think Dat1Gut's passed-on numbers are accurate. I too felt there was more Paul Smarts than the other 1000s bikes, especially the black model which NEVER comes up. Just because the PS's have an actual floating Limited Edition tag of 2,000 (appears a bit more) it has inflated it's demand higher then the 1000s. I'm guessing of those 5,700 or so Sport 1000 units, very few are the 1000s because they appear to have sold much weaker. Maybe 1,500, max...?

I'm very surprised to see so many GTs built. Who bought 'em? Whenever I saw the Sport Classics on display in shops, there was always just 1 or 2 lonely GT's among a line of Sport 1000's.

David
I remeber likewise up here....the GT was considered the "commuter bike" of the series and was not as popular in sales numbers.... I have seen only a handful of S100s .... but lots of biposto's and mono's ...comparatively speaking...

but who knows

Muzz

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
However you look at it, there are now more people that want these bikes, than there are bikes available.

Bummer for Ducati, bummer for the people that want one. Bummer if you have one too, cos the fact that they are discontinued means no development of this model, no decent after sales service and fewer people making aftermarket accessories.

If I had a million dollars I'd start building them myself. Seriously. (...although I'd use metal tanks)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This surge in demand seemed to have happened pretty fast over the past year and a half or so. I remember seeing two brand new Sport 1000S's in black unsold on the showroom floor in August 2010 at a SoCal dealer. Nobody seemed to want them.

And then Tron came out, doing a good bit of good for their desirability.

I think with Ducati moving over to more liquid-cooled engines and their styling direction, nothing like the Sportclassics will ever be built again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeh, I saw Paul Smarts sitting on CycleTrader, unloved, up until about 1.5 years ago. I'm not sure Tron had much to do with it IMHO. More the Cafe Racer scene going mainstream and just awareness of the bikes. Most people looking for a bike like that probably wouldn't think Ducati as the place to go. Plus even though they look good in pictures, it looks a helluvalot better in real life. Especially the GT model which when stock, I personally think doesn't always photograph that great.

I wonder why Ducati, since it has the tooling, doesn't just produce on demand. Why follow the old-school model of yearly 'lines' when you have the marketing might of the Internet? Order a 1000 sport and in 6 months to a year deepening on how much free time Guido has one lands on your doorstep.

·
Registered
121 Posts
GT Grey/Green Pewter?

Was the07 green Gt a one year color ? The gt can be made very beautiful If altered right.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I wonder why Ducati, since it has the tooling, doesn't just produce on demand. Why follow the old-school model of yearly 'lines' when you have the marketing might of the Internet? Order a 1000 sport and in 6 months to a year deepening on how much free time Guido has one lands on your doorstep.
Now that is a good idea... They won't do it tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
User Pberger posted this on the Sport-classic.net forums. I can't verify any of it, but it doesnt hurt to share it. Take it for what its worth

"Hello all, I just returned from Italy and made a visit to Borgo Panigale for a factory and museum tour. While there I inquired about the production figures for the Sport Classics. Below is straight from the factory:

Years:
2005 - 4045 units
2006 - 5123 units
2007 - 1387 units
2008 - 1506 units"
How many of the 5724 Sport 1000 were the S models? The truth is still out there!

·
Registered
47 Posts
No wonder the price jump on eBay. I got my sc mono 06 for 6995 with 2300 miles on it. Selling for twice that online. Buy low, sell high

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
257 Posts
Has anyone ever found how many 1000s models were produced and where they were distributed? I still have been unable to pin it down.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Years:
2005 - 4045 units
2006 - 5123 units
2007 - 1387 units
2008 - 1506 units"
I'm a little confused by these stats - Since there (to my knowledge) were no 2005 SportClassics, is it safe to conclude that an 05 from this list actually means a bike sold as an 06 and so on? I noticed the number of bikes produced increased from 05 to 06, which would support my conclusion, since Ducati offered a wider model range in 07.

If all this is correct & with these numbers in mind, would it be correct to calculate the total number of monoposto Sport 1000 motorcycles by the following formula:

Total number of SportClassics produced in 2005 (which would be only monoposto Sport 1000 bikes and Paul Smarts) minus the number of Paul Smarts (which were only produced in 2005) or

4045 - 2247 = 1798 ?

That would mean there were far fewer monoposto Sport 1000 bikes than Paul Smarts....I'm guessing this is where I get fragged by the PS owners?! Remember, I'm just asking the question based on the numbers provided....:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts