Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...before having the 600 miles service done? I'm a new owner of an S Touring. I'm at 620 miles and my first service appointment is a few days away...do you think another 100 miles or so will make any difference? ...that is, in terms of future performance/durability or warranty coverage?

Head says park it...heart says keep on riding... :think:

:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as it does not void your warranty, I would ride it.

On another note..have you been to the Twisted Throttle showroom? I was thinking about going there soon, but did not want to make the trip if not worth it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
...before having the 600 miles service done? I'm a new owner of an S Touring. I'm at 620 miles and my first service appointment is a few days away...do you think another 100 miles or so will make any difference? ...that is, in terms of future performance/durability or warranty coverage?

Head says park it...heart says keep on riding... :think:

:D
I was told by service manager it is not unheard of to go to 1000 miles.

I changed oil myself on the road around 800 on a road trip and it was very black. Serviced when I returned and they changed the oil again at 1600 and it was more caramel color. The oil I can see in viewing window looks clean like new oil at 2200 miles.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
I took my '10 touring in for the 600 at 1k miles, mainly because 'my' dealer is two hours away. I turned over 1k riding up there for the service. Go ahead and ride it for the next few days. The main thing on the 600 mile service, IIRC, is the oil change, chain adjustment (maybe?), and a general going over of fasteners, etc. It ain't going to blow up if you don't get it done right at 600 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as it does not void your warranty, I would ride it.

On another note..have you been to the Twisted Throttle showroom? I was thinking about going there soon, but did not want to make the trip if not worth it.
Howdy, yes, in fact I've been twice in the last couple of weeks...bought the barkbuster handguards for the Multi and a gps mount as well. They recently moved to a new location on Nooseneck road (rt 3)...its MUCH bigger than their old location in downtown Peacedale. But, I'm not sure its worth a trip all the way from New Hampshire. You can look through the entire showroom in about 10-15 minutes. Most of the gear seems to be SW Motech's stuff, their new Macna jackets/pants, Arai/Shoei helmets, Givi stuff and lots of other smaller farkles like lights and gps mounts. That being said, their warehouse is right there, too, so you can see everything that's in their catalog in person if you ask them to bring it out. I did that for the MRA screens...they brought them out and let me take them out to my bike to see how they would look and compare to the stock screen. The folks there are very nice and helpful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a client in Cranston, so I may be able to kill two birds while riding my bird. I want to check out the SW Motech and screens...just like you did. Thanks!

Howdy, yes, in fact I've been twice in the last couple of weeks...bought the barkbuster handguards for the Multi and a gps mount as well. They recently moved to a new location on Nooseneck road (rt 3)...its MUCH bigger than their old location in downtown Peacedale. But, I'm not sure its worth a trip all the way from New Hampshire. You can look through the entire showroom in about 10-15 minutes. Most of the gear seems to be SW Motech's stuff, their new Macna jackets/pants, Arai/Shoei helmets, Givi stuff and lots of other smaller farkles like lights and gps mounts. That being said, their warehouse is right there, too, so you can see everything that's in their catalog in person if you ask them to bring it out. I did that for the MRA screens...they brought them out and let me take them out to my bike to see how they would look and compare to the stock screen. The folks there are very nice and helpful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a client in Cranston, so I may be able to kill two birds while riding my bird. I want to check out the SW Motech and screens...just like you did. Thanks!
Cool, send me a msg and let me know when you'll go...maybe I'll meet you there. I'm actually going to buy the sw motech crash bars next.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are OK with a couple hundred more miles. I changed my oil at 600 and adjusted the chain, but got the 1st service at 1100 miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Service intervals are always best performed after the service distance has been reached on the bike. Why you ask?

Well if you took your bike in say 100 miles before the service is due then they can’t reset the service waring light, it can only be reset for the next service once the previous service distance has been reached.

There is an option though, you can reset it yourself (search this forum for details) but if you’re not keen on doing this yourself your risking $60-100 for the shop to reset it... depends how much of a scrooge the service centre is!!

The extra 100 miles won’t be an issue, if it were that critical - at a minimum they would review the 1st service distance and all subsequent.

On all my bikes I change the oil after its maiden 100 klms, cause if your going to get metal shavings they will have built up by then.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You are OK with a couple hundred more miles. I changed my oil at 600 and adjusted the chain, but got the 1st service at 1100 miles.
What did they do on the first svc that you didn't already do?
All it lists for the first svc is a oil change with filter of course, chain adjust, check the fasteners and that's it, it's a matter of fact they call it 600 miles oil svc, other than the light to be reset I can't think of anything else they would do other than tell you they did a shitload of stuff that you usually do when the bike is sitting in the garage, am I missing something?
I did mine myself and the light still on, I'll have it reset at the first major svc.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I had 1000 miles on mine when I got it done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What did they do on the first svc that you didn't already do?
All it lists for the first svc is a oil change with filter of course, chain adjust, check the fasteners and that's it, it's a matter of fact they call it 600 miles oil svc, other than the light to be reset I can't think of anything else they would do other than tell you they did a shitload of stuff that you usually do when the bike is sitting in the garage, am I missing something?
I did mine myself and the light still on, I'll have it reset at the first major svc.
I believe they torque down some of the main fasteners, and adjust the TPS. I am sure they adjusted the TPS. When I would start the bike before the 1st service but after the service light went on, it would stall a couple of times when at cold start up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe they torque down some of the main fasteners, and adjust the TPS. I am sure they adjusted the TPS. When I would start the bike before the 1st service but after the service light went on, it would stall a couple of times when at cold start up.
That's interesting because I've noticed over the last week that the bike will sometimes stall just after starting up when "cold". I'm going to mention that to the service manager when I bring her in. It definitely has a weak starter system...I'm really worried I'm going to have a hell of a time starting it this winter when temps go below freezing. I have a bookmark somewhere for a kit that is supposed to improve the starting performance (bigger battery wires)...someone here gave me the link. Hope it works...

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Confirming what has been said above. I had 525 on the bike and due to schedules could bring it in either at 550 or about 800. The dealer said more is better - they would rather 200 miles over than 50 under.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts