Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05' ST4s with around 4500 miles. The rear Michelin Pilot tire is not long for this world.

I don't ride over aggressively, just a little leaning now and then. I NEVER have done any type of burnouts with the bike. I can MAYBE get about another 1000 miles, if that from the rear tire. The front is in much better shape.

What kind of mileage are you guys seeing?

What tires should I be looking at for replacements?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Opinions on tires are like assholes - everyone has one. My fav sport touring tire is the Avon Azaro-ST 45 & 46. My only experience is on my BMW. But, when the pilots are shot they will go on my Duc. Avon Tyres

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
881 Posts
just over 4k on mine and already have the replacements in the garage. probably get another 1k before I change them out.

BTW, the new tires a are Pilot Powers..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 3200 on my ST4S. The rear looks like it may go anywhere from 500 to 1000 more, the front however looks like theres another 4 to 5k left to go. The front hardly looks touched. Both have had proper pressure and look to be worn very even.

·
Registered
187 Posts
jh225: Roads or Powers? I got 6,000 out of my Roads. Dunno how many I'll get out of the Powers I have on now... And frankly, as nice as they handle and grip, I will only care if it's less than 3 or 4,000.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got 8100 miles out of the Pilot Sports on my 2003 4s. No burnouts, road riding only. The front was cupped and the rear still had tread. They felt like they were old tires. I ride with a group on Wednesdays and Saturdays where we see triple digits and our rides can be 500 mi in a day. I was happy for the mileage. Now that I have the Avons, I hope for 10k mi.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have found, that in my use the Power last 30-50% longer than the Diabolo, M1 Sport Tech. Also it lasted only 10-20% less than the Avon Av 45/46 for the rear and the front tire lasted longer on the power, with out the traction fall off I have problems with on the Avons. I also think the power has as close to the awesome feel leaned over that I love about the Avons. I like the Powers so well i have 3 new sets in the garage!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sperho said:
jh225: Roads or Powers? I got 6,000 out of my Roads. Dunno how many I'll get out of the Powers I have on now... And frankly, as nice as they handle and grip, I will only care if it's less than 3 or 4,000.
I have the Pilot POWERS.

Looked at the rear again and it will definitely not last much past another 1K miles.

Should I be looking at them again or is there something out there that is better, both in performance and longevity?

G

·
I have just over 6000 mi on Pilot Roads and they look great. I have eaten the standard Pilot rear in 3500 mi on other Ducatis (it's the torque + the backroads). I have a new Pilot Road waiting in the garage. My friend's BMW K1200 GT got 9000 on his rear tire! And yes Avon's are good too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just over 7000 Stock Pilot Roads

I got just over 7000 on the 2004 ST4s Michelin Pilot Roads. Went with the new version for this year. They had a weird break in. The front felt like it had a hard center and did not want to turn easy. Had to push it really hard into the corners. It took about 200 to 400 miles before that went away. They stick really well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
1upDuc said:
I got just over 7000 on the 2004 ST4s Michelin Pilot Roads. ... They stick really well.
Interesting. I have an '04 ST4s, but the stock tires are Pilot Sports, not Roads. Wonder why Ducati would mix like this.

Personally, I absolutely hate the tire. Their grip is poor, especially when cold, and they are impossible to warm up. Also, the turn-in is very slow requiring a large effort on the bars. I have a set of Pirelli Diablos waiting in my basement for when these wear out, which can't happen soon enough.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Got about 8k out of my stock St4 Pilot Sports. Rear was sufficiently toasted and the front wasn't far behind. (front behind rear? What did I just say?).

Anyhows, went to Pilot Roads and PLENTY HAPPY!

But then again, I've got an A-hole opinion. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got 9500 miles out of my stock Pilot Roads. The rear was toast but I still had a bit of milage left on the front(perhaps due to more air time :D )

Though the milage was great the Michelins sucked. I put a set of Conti Road Attacks on & it completely transformed my bike. Where as I had to muscle the Pilots into twisties, the Conti's just flow into them. Supurb traction & fairly quick warm-ups. Though they are not gonna get the milage the Pilots did (5700 miles now - I'm hoping for another 1000) they are well worth buying another set.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hmph

4600 miles on my stock pilot power tires on an '05 ST4s, and the rear is actually showing belts. (!!) (the rubber is *gone* on about a 5 or 6 inch stretch in the middle of the rear)

Amazing to me that this is not a defect. (came here just to check about the wear longevity, only to find that is not out of line for the Pilot Powers...) Very disappointing -- I would never have thought to look at my tire after so short of a period, and if I had been riding alone today I probably would have blown it out.

I guess I shouldn't be *too* surprised though. A soft stock tire....on an "s" model....guess I will have to ask about a couple of the tires mentioned on this thread when I talk to my dealer on Tues.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted for the valuable info.

·
Registered
285 Posts
sperho said:
I think im going to be lucky to see 4.5k out of my Powers. I ride pretty hard. But i've been commuting on them too. I got in a few hard miles on the twisty bits today to wear the sides out somemore.

I think next time im going to try Conti Sport Attacks or Diablo Stradas next time around.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
NCRick said:
I have found, that in my use the Power last 30-50% longer than the Diabolo, M1 Sport Tech.
In my case, they all last about the same, 2700-3000 miles rear, about 20% more in the front. Same mileage on the ST2 and the SS.

Tom

·
Registered
688 Posts
4600 miles on Pilot Roads. The back tire looks like about half the tread is gone. But I'm an old guy who rides like an old lady going to church. Occasionally I ride like an old lady on LSD and Speed going to church in a Hemi Cuda.

I have considered getting stickier tires, but hate to pay the price for tires that wear out twice as fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got 6k on my Pilot Sport on an '04 ST4S. It was showing cord on the rear. I switched to Pirelli Diablo Corsa and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good thread and, timely! I'm embarrassed to say that I have a flat spot in the middle of the rear tire and it's almost down to the wear bars! 2,400 miles to Daytona, Key West and return - I think I counted a total of 14 curves (not counting the exit/entrance ramps ... :D ). If I could ride on the sides, I would have pleanty of tread left. I'm planning on doing just that in the next two weeks ... then it will be time for a new one.

The front looks brand new!

I don't think I'll go back to the Pilot Roads. Although they are getting acceptable mileage they just don't give me a confident feeling in what few curves I have experienced.

Anyone have any experience with the new Dunlop Qualifiers? I have heard good things about the Avons and the Continental Sport Attacks.

Sam

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.