Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many miles would you say is normal to have on an air cooled duc before needing a rebuild?

I know this can vary greatly depending upon maintenance and age and riding style....but in general...considering that the maintenance is performed on a regular basis, and the bike is relatively new (post 2000), and a typical street (no track) riding approach is taken...how long before a rebuild would be necessary?

·
Administrator
6,191 Posts
I have seen some early model SS's that go 60K miles without a rebuild.

Of course, I jut hit 12K on mine without issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Service it as per the schedule and don't run it lean by using aftermarket pipes without a DP cpu or a well set up Power Comander and it should be good for 30000 miles before it needs exhaust valve guides (you can check these when adjusting the valves). Other than that I have never the rest show any signs of wear.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very nice

I'm coming up on 20k quickly, should hit 30k by the end of the year...so then I'm probably on the right track to start getting ideas on a rebuild and start saving up and looking for a spare motor!

hehe

thanks guys!

·
Registered
93 Posts
nah, I dont know what I am going to do with it man. I could use the bread but I dont think I could replace it. That guy with the RC flaked, sorta sad. I would happily trade the thing off, I am falling out of love with it. I got an offer for a high mileage TL1000R that was tempting but I was leary of the miles. Pity I have dumped so much money into it at this point. The only thing that would make me keep it right now is if I could find factory SL/FE/SS body work for it. It looks better the way it is but I am tired of it and ready for a change. I took a trip to houston on it the other day, you have to get into a full tuck to get out of the wind and thats great if your going 10000000 percent but on a trip it sucks. I got lots of 4 grand offers for it, but hell, it is all redone and has 12000 miles on it. I hate to give the thing away. If I ebay it I am going to have to throw a paint job on it due to that wierd issue with the tank paint. And if I do that, its going to red so people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Really, what I would like to do is find the factory bodywork, paint it that nice lambo yellow pearl, put the factory SL stickers on it since it is actually a SL anyways. Then I would keep it. I went by EuroSport and picked up a new speedo cable for it. It literally is the first ducati part I have ever bought at a dealership that was in stock. EVER. At this point, I fully appreciate the beauty and experience of the ducati, I just want a bike I can ride on a regular basis without the maintenance and cost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
60k miles on my '95 M-900 and she's still running strong. I pulled the heads 5k miles ago and valve guide to valve stem specs were on the high side, but still within spec. Bearings were in good shape and cam hard surface looked new. The cylinder walls didn't have a scratch on them and most important, there was no up and down play on the rods. I cleaned off a bit of carbon on the pistons, replaced the cam seals and valve guide seals, and buttoned her up. I'll recheck in 15k miles again. I imagine the lower end and tranny are good for over 100k.

George

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow you folks are underestimating the design of the Duc aircooled motors...either that or not taken proper care of them. I personally have almost 50k now on my '04 ST3. Ya, it water-cooled but not significantly different mechically from the air-cooled motors. Mine doesn't burn a drop of oil, valves stay in spec for 18k miles and I am quite confident I'll go 100k miles before I have to do any major work, ie valve seals, guides, seats, rings, etc. I have 2 friends with over 100k on 900 motors, both in Monsters; one a small valve 900M w/carbs, the other a 900ie from 2000 or maybe 2001. Neither has had to take apart motor for major repairs, both have had there share of electrical problems however. A desmo valve train is very easy on top end and Nikasil cylinders should be good for 150k at the very least. I'd be VERY disappointed if I could not get 100k from my ST3 and I'm expecting to get considerably more. FWIW: I do ALL of my own servicing, use synthetic oil only (Redline) and change that every 3k. Take care

·
Registered
93 Posts
whose underestimating.... so far we have one person who had 45000 on a 2 valve and one with 60.... and a guy that only has 12000 on his bike and said itll go 60000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts