Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many?

My insurance sent me a letter asking for my odo reading and estimate of how many miles I do in a year.
It says if they do not receive my reply within 20 days they will calculate my rate based on the national average of 3,195 miles per year.

That seems low for me, I think I am closer to 6,000 per year these days. I don't ride to work or shop, only for fun. I could use a road trip or 3 to up the total. I never kept track but doubt I have done as little as 3200 miles in 1 year since I left winter behind and came here to year round riding in 1987. It was a very good year. :grin2:

Of course some people barely ride and have a 20 year old bike with 2,000 miles. For shame.
I'll guess most of the active members are enthusiastic and do at least as much as me.
I am surprised how low that national average is. I guess I could make this a poll, but meh.

What is your estimated annual average MC mileage?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
12,000 on average... going to be very low this year - travelling too much for work and raining like a somnabitch whenever I'm in town (just my luck), but still will be more than 6000.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmm........never had an insurance company ask me that.

I've done as little as 1500 and as many as 18000. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that do more than that tho

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Most of the insurance companies I have been with have asked this. I've read that the national average is more like 2K per year per bike. There's a lot of butt jewelry out there that gets ridden once a month on nice Sundays.

I'm typically about 11K per year. I think my lowest year in the last 30 years has been about 8K, and highest 20K. I rarely get rid of a bike I like before 80K, and my best so far was 265K on a 1993 Ducati Monster M900.

My next bike will be a sport-tourer, that I want to turn over 200K on in about the year 2040.

From an insurer's standpoint, those usage patterns make a big difference.

PhilB

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most of the insurance companies I have been with have asked this. I've read that the national average is more like 2K per year per bike. There's a lot of butt jewelry out there that gets ridden once a month on nice Sundays.

I'm typically about 11K per year. I think my lowest year in the last 30 years has been about 8K, and highest 20K. I rarely get rid of a bike I like before 80K, and my best so far was 265K on a 1993 Ducati Monster M900.

My next bike will be a sport-tourer, that I want to turn over 200K on in about the year 2040.

From an insurer's standpoint, those usage patterns make a big difference.

PhilB
I put almost 2K on my 748L since picking it up a back in June.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm at 12,000 - 15,000 a year. Daily commuting, personal trips and some regional customer site visits. I'm known by all my customers the guy who always shows up on a bike, rain or shine.

My insurance company has never asked me for my mileage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Señor Member
8,027 Posts
Though I live in sunny Southern Cal, where riding almost daily is common, I’m that guy that does about 3000 miles per year.

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
So, how many?
It says if they do not receive my reply within 20 days they will calculate my rate based on the national average of 3,195 miles per year.

What is your estimated annual average MC mileage?
Sounds like silence should be golden in this case :D

Oh and I do about 12K per year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a major service done on my Multi Oct 2017. I have a oil usage issue and Ducati wanted me to put 600 miles on the bike to see the rate of loss. Dealer assumed I would return the following Spring sometime.

Picked it up on Friday, dropped it off Monday 620 miles latter. :grin2:

So far 11,000 mile average per year

·
Registered
109 Posts
2001 road king with 56k on it that I bought new
Had a 2008 1098 That I put 17K on in about 8 years
2009 Hyper I have put about 12K on in 4 years
2015 Monster R that I have put 5K on in 2 years

Math is hard

·
Registered
357 Posts
Way, way down this year aside from the 2k trip for WCM. Like @DaveK woes, the summer in Seattle has been a failure since the 16th June. Wettest July on record some say. Otherwise around 3-4K per year in our relatively short good weather season of approx May through September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
ride per year...

When I had a BMW R75/6, I was riding over 7000 miles a year for 11 years, then got my 900SS/SP and went to 4000 miles a year, since 2002.

Last four years, spent time at the track on a 250cc Ninja, and consequently, less miles on the road. About 2000 miles a year, now.

All riding is fun - track, around town, out in the country, travelling.

One overseas session to Europe via Beach's Alpine Adventure-2500 miles in two weeks, 1995. Five straight days of rain, we were wet...

Fred

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You low mileage guys need to rekindle the love, get out and ride more.
Remember what great fun it is. :grin2:

When I first moved here from the snow belt, I figured who needs a car? I can ride all year. The first winter was one of the wetter and more miserable ones, and when the second winter got close I bought an old car. But you can really rack up the miles if you have no car and are exploring a new area.

With mountains and twisty roads. :yeah:
They ain't got none of that in Chicago. :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Last year was my highest mileage year with 7,000 miles...a great riding year! Prior to that my average was 3-5,000 a year. We have a 6-8 month riding window in central VT, no slab, mostly mountain, river, farm country, good quality !
I have a little over 3,000 so far this season , hoping to hit 7k again!!!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Last year was my highest mileage year with 7,000 miles...a great riding year! Prior to that my average was 3-5,000 a year. We have a 6-8 month riding window in central VT, no slab, mostly mountain, river, farm country, good quality !
What Rich didn't mention is that most of those miles were on his 'giddy up an go' hobby horse.

Say hi to Cocoa.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What Rich didn't mention is that most of those miles were on his 'giddy up an go' hobby horse.

Say hi to Cocoa.

...the horses name was "Silver" and I wore out several pair of boots...beeatch!!!

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
All this and the CB 750 tank thread made me think of my first CB 750, got it in 76 (a 71 I’d give the right one for to get back) rode it 30,000 miles in a year and a half...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts