Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just a few hundred miles shy of my 22,500 mile service, but several huge vet bills ate up the "escrow" I typically set aside for my GT's regular servicing. I just changed the oil and filter, and my belts were changed at the last service just 1-1/2 years ago, so no worries there. My service manager told me they cleaned the oil pickup screen at the last service, so that should be fine for a while too.

I don't want to go WAY beyond the 22.5k mark before taking the bike in, but hate the thought of cutting back on my riding until I've recharged my service escrow. Is going 1,000 - 1,500 miles over feasible as long as the bike continues to run well?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about going over a little, as the valve clearances change less as time goes on, however it is still smart to check.

Why not consider doing your own service?

As your on your third valve check, you likely need only check the clearances (which requires basic tools to remove the tank and valve covers and some feeler gauges) and see if you have any which have deviated. I'd consider buying LT Schneider's book and start to do your own service. If they do need service, the cost of one valve job will buy you all the tools and a set EMS valve shims ... and from there on service is nearly free.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
For commuting and not flogging it I would not be worried going that much over, remember recommended times are set conservatively for just such reasons and to maximize profit of dealer..

·
Registered
994 Posts
Why not consider doing your own service?

I'd consider buying LT Snyder's book and start to do your own service.... the cost of one valve job will buy you all the tools and a set EMS valve shims ... and from there on service is nearly free.
Most excellent advice sir.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't ride too hard, so I figured going over the recommended interval a bit should be ok, but it's always good to get input from others.

I do want to work towards doing as much of my own maintenance as possible, so will explore GuyBFF's suggestion and look into the LT Schneider book and necessary tools.

·
Registered
994 Posts
.......and look into the LT Schneider book and necessary tools.
It will be easier to find if you spell the authors name as Snyder......

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be easier to find if you spell the authors name as Snyder......
No, I meant Schneider. This guy can fix anything so I trust his expertise ;)

Seriously though, I see EMS sells Snyder's book as well as the shim kits so I'll give them a call.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
DR T said...

Even Taglioni said it was ok for 15.000 miles on valves if you don't red line her often...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
If you don't beat the bike hard you can go over the suggested "check" mileage for the valves. But NOT THE BELT. These have time and mileage limits and breakage is catastrophic.

The vertical belt on my `93 900SS broke just twelve miles past the change interval. Yes, there was extenuating circumstances including a very hot day and a very 'hot' ride. But since then I have been near religious when it comes to belt mileage and time.

My SS is in the shop (AVA Restoration) for the winter getting a thorough going over. She has only about 5,000 miles on the belts but its been a little over 6 years since they have been changed. My instructions to Alex at AVA was to the point: Change the belts before you even start her up.

-don

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
EMS sells his book too, but not sure what he has in stock since LT's store is down while he is training for his mission.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know a lot of us baby our bikes more than our kids :D
But to be honest, these bikes are built to take a beating and keep going. I love those old photos of bikes in Europe (my dad has a few of his own) where these guys are crossing dirt roads and unpaved roads every day. I doubt those guys monitored their service records and took their bike to a nice shop.

I'm not saying to ignore all your service, but come on. This is a Ducati! If she can't go 500 miles passed a "recommended" service, then I need to look at a BMW. :eek:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I know a lot of us baby our bikes more than our kids :D
But to be honest, these bikes are built to take a beating and keep going. I love those old photos of bikes in Europe (my dad has a few of his own) where these guys are crossing dirt roads and unpaved roads every day. I doubt those guys monitored their service records and took their bike to a nice shop.

I'm not saying to ignore all your service, but come on. This is a Ducati! If she can't go 500 miles passed a "recommended" service, then I need to look at a BMW. :eek:
BMW guys are even more anal retentive than us....Really!

I used to be one.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Is the crank shaft turning tool required or just "nice to have if the situation becomes necessary"? I have the belts, just don't have that particular tool.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Is the crank shaft turning tool required or just "nice to have if the situation becomes necessary"? I have the belts, just don't have that particular tool.
I've read people just put the bike in gear and turn the engine that way (I think I read somewhere putting it in 5th makes it easier). I tried doing that and it was a PITA. I bought the turning tool from CA Cycleworks and am glad to have it: I 'm hooked on Ducati so I'm sure it'll come in handy for years to come.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
If you don't beat the bike hard you can go over the suggested "check" mileage for the valves. But NOT THE BELT. These have time and mileage limits and breakage is catastrophic.

The vertical belt on my `93 900SS broke just twelve miles past the change interval. Yes, there was extenuating circumstances including a very hot day and a very 'hot' ride. But since then I have been near religious when it comes to belt mileage and time.

My SS is in the shop (AVA Restoration) for the winter getting a thorough going over. She has only about 5,000 miles on the belts but its been a little over 6 years since they have been changed. My instructions to Alex at AVA was to the point: Change the belts before you even start her up.

-don
Also worth mentioning in response to this about the belts, in LT's book he goes over how the material used in the belts changed in the late 90s to include something like kevlar, and with that the need to be so fastidious about changing belts all but vanished. Not saying you can go forever on a single set of belts, but any Duc from the 2000s should be fine if you miss the service interval by a few months or hundred miles.

YMMV, your engine is in your hands.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I also tried the turn the wheel method and found it to be a PITA. I bought one of these inexpensive tools and it makes the job of getting the engine right at TDC for the belt change much easier.

Ducati Engine Turning Tool Monster 748 996 999 SS : Amazon.com : Automotive

Not as elegant or rugged as the $80 tool with the arms for turning the engine, but since I am only servicing my own bike and use the tool once every two years to do the belts the $20 tool will last me a long time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts