Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changing a front tire today at 6K miles, and noticed one of the four front brake pads looks like it's ~75% spent (the remaining 3 pads look to be ~50% spent).

For spirited street riding, How many miles are you guys typically getting from a pair of front pads?

When they do go, do they give any indication, such as squealing? Or do you just have to always visually inspect them?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I personally always visually inspect any time I’m down there for any reason. As you saw, for some reason one pad wore more than the rest. Maybe a sticking piston. Something to check anyway. There are so many variables, pad type, rotor type, riding style. Sounds as if the only thing you can be sure of is that YOU used 50-75% of that particular pad in 6000 miles. If you change pad or rotor type then the wear interval will also change for you. My mom used to drive with her foot on the brakes all the time. How fast do you think she wore brakes out ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally always visually inspect any time I’m down there for any reason. As you saw, for some reason one pad wore more than the rest. Maybe a sticking piston. Something to check anyway. There are so many variables, pad type, rotor type, riding style. Sounds as if the only thing you can be sure of is that YOU used 50-75% of that particular pad in 6000 miles. If you change pad or rotor type then the wear interval will also change for you. My mom used to drive with her foot on the brakes all the time. How fast do you think she wore brakes out ?
Do Ducati brakes have any type of audible wear indicator?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For street riding, are Ducati pads decent? Or are most Folks using some type of aftermarket pad?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I use and sell nothing but Ferodo brake pads-as far as I am concerned they are the best, I use them on the street & on the race track, they are available in organic or sintered and they work great. I am sure I will get flak for this but I would avoid EBC pads like the bloody plague, I'm sure some people will say they love them but I have seen too many times where EBC pads dont fit correctly. Just use a quality brake pad and you are probably fine --but I consider EBC pads to be WalMart quality of brake pads--and I dont want to trust my life to WalMart lol

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I think Ferodo’s have the best feel, but EBC aren’t bad either. Any name brand aftermarket pad is going to out perform a stock pad. They have to be chosen for wear, noise, feel, and most of all, price.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
one of the three front brake pads looks like it's ~75% spent (the remaining 3 pads look to be ~50% spent). Thanks
Seems to be a math error in your word problem. No matter. Unless you really only have 3 front brake pads. You should see 4. Keep an eye on them all and replace as needed. :think:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems to be a math error in your word problem. No matter. Unless you really only have 3 front brake pads. You should see 4. Keep an eye on them all and replace as needed. :think:
Thanks for the correction, lol.

Are the stock pads sintered, organic, or some other compound?

When buying aftermarket pads, to be used with stock rotors, what compound should I get for street riding?

BTW, seems like online cost for a pair of OEM front pads is ~$116. Does this surprise anyone else but me?

Please advise what to buy.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Thanks for the correction, lol.

Are the stock pads sintered, organic, or some other compound?

When buying aftermarket pads, to be used with stock rotors, what compound should I get for street riding?

BTW, seems like online cost for a pair of OEM front pads is ~$116. Does this surprise anyone else but me?

Please advise what to buy.

Thanks
you have been advised numerous times here. ferodo.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Ferodo organic pads will work perfectly, the organic pads are a lot less harsh on your rotors ---The sintered pad's work a bit better but I dont use them on the street because any sintered pad will eat your rotors a lot faster and under normal and even aggressive street riding the organic pads will give you plenty of stopping power.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Not liked the early ferodo organic. Not the best when cold. They must have improved them. Sintered are the ducks gut. Love them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ferodo organic pads will work perfectly, the organic pads are a lot less harsh on your rotors ---The sintered pad's work a bit better but I dont use them on the street because any sintered pad will eat your rotors a lot faster and under normal and even aggressive street riding the organic pads will give you plenty of stopping power.
Are stock, OEM pads sintered or organic?

Thanks

·
comrade moderator
27,415 Posts
Sintered.

I've got a hell of a lotta miles on EBC Sintered pads on a lotta bikes on both the street and racetrack over the years and they work great. I've never seen any undue rotor wear or doubted their quality.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Are stock, OEM pads sintered or organic?

Thanks
Depends on the Bike, Year & MFG. So come with organic some come with sintered, --I race a 1972 BMW in AHRMA and have for 25 years. I race with Ferodo organic pads and have never had an issue with stopping power. Now I know my BMW race bike is not as fast as a lot of other bikes-top speed is only around 175. MPH but at those speeds on the track the organic pads have worked perfectly for all this time--The choice is basically you--organic dont stop quite as quickly as sintered but your rotors last a lot longer---or sintered stops a bit better but you replace rotors a lot more often

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Looks like brake pads are another oil thread, organics are the conventional, sintered the synthetics. Personally I have used EBC HH pads for years and haven't run into rotor wear issues even racing with iron rotors. Other than the E bay $9.95 pads most every established brand out there will work fine. As for the uneven wear, even with perfectly functioning calipers/master cylinders the pads can wear unevenly due to variations in the friction material/binder/curing mixture.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts