Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any high mile hypers out there? Am I making a mistake by getting this bike for a 15000 mile a year commuter? I have a CRF450 supermoto and I just sold my RC51 and motocross bike to buy a hyper........... should I back out now?:confused:

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
what is your commute? If it is canyon roads and back roads, you have the right bike. If it is the traditional straight arrow Texas freeway...you might not be that happy at 75 mph. But at the end of the day...it is all about the dedication. I know a person who commutes in a 308 QV italian car to work, 80 miles each way, and it works for him.
Good luck
(3000 miles on mine, but only got it a few months ago)

is there any high mile hypers out there? Am I making a mistake by getting this bike for a 15000 mile a year commuter? I have a CRF450 supermoto and I just sold my RC51 and motocross bike to buy a hyper........... should I back out now?:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have a 18 mile commute and I can either run the tollway or hit the 55 - 40 mph city streets.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I only have just over 1k on mine but have not had it that long and dont have as many opportunities to ride, my main concern for you would be range, I have to fill up every 90 miles without fail, make sure there are gas stations enroute or upgrade to the 6 gallon tank that Chris for CACycleworks offers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've only got 300 miles on mine, but I've only had it a week. I have a 55 mile one-way commute over B roads (one lane each way, and a good stretch of country backroads).

I love the Hyper for a few reasons:
- totally upright... no pressure on my arthritic wrists
- doesn't encourage me to do more than 70mph for anything other than short bursts. Slowing me down is tough, but I recognize it as a good thing when it comes to keeping my license. This way I relax on the boring bits and still have fun in the twisty bits
- I don't have much of an issue with the seat. It's a lot more comfortable for my particular backside than lots of other bikes that were supposed to be more comfy were. YMMV

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just under 13000klms on mine...about 8500 miles? Couldnt be happier with commuting. Ipod makes it even better!:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, thanks for the input. I have put 100 miles on one and I loved it but is it good for the long haul....like 40,000 miles?

·
Registered
125 Posts
In what regard? The motor and other mechanical bits? With proper maintenance I don't see why it would be an issue, especially if you're doing 15k a year (as opposed to a summer bike that only does 3k a year). I've known guys with at least 20k on theirs (other Ducati's). More than that I have no first hand knowledge of, but I'm sure they're out there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The biggest expenses will be tires and the 6500/7500mi valve check. If you can do the valve check yourself, that will take a big dent out of the running expenses. I think the timing belt change interval is at around 15k. The 2V motors have a good reputation for durability after years in monsters, multi's, ST's and SS's. Just need the valve and belt maintenance kept up. I know of at least one local monster with over 40k that still runs great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts